Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

compression socks

To disable ads, please log-in.

They're all the rage among our marathoners here.

Supposedly, the compression gives better(read, perhaps, longer but maybe not faster) performance and regeneration, and I read instances where they help against shin splints (!!) - something I could use.

They are expensive as hell.

Opinions?
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

I tried googling for medical evidence on this. Didn't find any, but found this in a Pittsburgh Trib. article:

"The scientific premise behind the socks is that they use graduated pressure that is heavier at the foot and lessens as it works up toward the knee, aiding in blood flow back to the heart and lungs. Thus, freshly oxygenated blood can return more quickly to the legs, as well.

The socks are touted as helping to compress muscles, reducing unnecessary vibration and, thus, reducing fatigue and discomfort.

"As far as enhancing performance in healthy athletes, there's no scientific evidence that it does," says Dr. Bruce Thomas, a Melbourne, Fla., physician who practices sports medicine and primary care. "There have been a few studies, but ... the athletes say they feel comfortable.

"Radcliffe really swears by them; she says they make your legs feel fresh and less tired. So far, we're not able to (test for those factors) but mentally, it probably does help her."

As for blood flow ... well, wouldn't pressure strong enough to help blood flow upwards from the foot also be strong enough to offer resistance to blood flowing back downwards? Any PTs on the board have anything to say about that? Or other health professional folks trained in physiology? I'm a doctor, yeah, but not in a health field . I do use compression socks for long flights. Can't say I've really noticed much difference in ankle swelling, maybe because I've always made sure to do some walking and stretching in the aisles anyway, plus foot/hand/finger exercizes while seated.
    Half-marathon over. Sabbatical year over. It's back to "sacking shirt and oat cakes" as they say here.

I wear compression socks for my varicose veins. I don't wear them when I run, because I find them constrictive and annoying.

If you want to try them, you might find a pair at a medical supply store cheaper than at a sporting goods store. The ones I wear cost about $20-$30, which isn't too bad.

ETA: I love my socks for everyday... it's when I run that I find them annoying.
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 07-30-2008 at 05:00 AM.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Quote Originally Posted by alpinerabbit View Post

Supposedly, the compression gives better(read, perhaps, longer but maybe not faster) performance and regeneration, and I read instances where they help against shin splints (!!) - something I could use.

They are expensive as hell.

Opinions?
    I really want to get a pair of Zensah compression sleeves but I can't buy them in Canada. There are two places that will ship to Canada but the shipping costs almost as much as the product itself ($60 a pair). I've heard great things about them and my PT thinks they probably work too. He says they accomplish the same thing as wrapping them but more efficiently and probably more effectively.
    It is never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Elliot

My podcast about being a rookie triathlete:Kelownagurl Tris Podcast

I tend to make holy socks very quickly so I'd prefer sleeves too.
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Interesting. I am not a jogger.

I remember my father was recommended to wear compression socks after some foot/leg problems (not sure of exact problems since I was already living outside of home). His job as a full-time cook required that he stand most of the time. He wasn't too thrilled to wear the socks for awhile..

Quote Originally Posted by alpinerabbit View Post

https://www.gearhunder.com/best-comp...socks-for-men/

Opinions?
    They are definitely worth it. Especially when you find that your legs often become swollen due to prolonged sitting or standing with age, they can effectively alleviate this dilemma. It is also helpful for varicose veins and shin splints.