Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm glad you had such a great ride this year khg! This is the first time I've had a chance to see the one day riders roll in--since I'm usually still on the road for myself--but I was kind of in awe of the obvious difference in fitness levels between one and two day riders. It seemed to me that most of you guys looked really fresh, and were riding effortlessly. Breezy smiles all around. Myself, I look like a reanimated corpse that's been forced to ride at the finish (I've seen the pictures, yes I do!).

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2009 Specialized Tricross
    2012 Trek Mamba

I saw lots of cyclists heading out from Husky Stadium when I was driving home from work on Sat AM. Looked amazing!
    2014 Surly Straggler
    2012 Salsa Casseroll - STOLEN

Quote Originally Posted by lauraelmore1033 View Post
    I'm glad you had such a great ride this year khg! This is the first time I've had a chance to see the one day riders roll in--since I'm usually still on the road for myself--but I was kind of in awe of the obvious difference in fitness levels between one and two day riders. It seemed to me that most of you guys looked really fresh, and were riding effortlessly. Breezy smiles all around. Myself, I look like a reanimated corpse that's been forced to ride at the finish (I've seen the pictures, yes I do!).
    Ha ha! you should have seen the one-day finishers last year. We looked like death warmed over--or death thoroughly cooked, considering the temperatures...

I really enjoy watching the second day finishers come in, before we head back home. I find a lot of them way more impressive than the one day finishers, in that for a lot of them, it was clearly more of an achievement than it was for the one day riders. I love seeing that sense of accomplishment, of having taken on a huge challenge, and finished it.
    1980-something Colnago
    2010 Jamis Quest
    2013 Wabi Classic

mebikedolomitesoneday.wordpress.com

I am very honored to have completed my very first double century at the STP. We finished in the dark. Two of my friends who are double century veterans helped me though it.
    I loved every minute of it, all 15 hours of riding. Even in the dark! I'll try to do this ride again next year. The logistics of flying up and hotels, is a hassle but it is so worth it.
    I'm just back now, arriving home here in California, just a few hours now. I'm still dreaming good dreams about STP.

I hope everyone else had a good time.

Our group of four also had a great two day ride. We rode 140 miles to Castle Rock the 1st day, which made Sunday pretty easy. This was our 2nd ride. I felt much stronger and way more confident this time. We did see three different accidents along the way, two on the Yelm - Tenino trail. I sure hope they are ok.

And yes khb, for me, the two day is a huge accomplishment! Thank you! I could have gone further on Sat., but a one day is a little out of reach!

STP is a crazy thing to do. So many riders, lots of traffic, and the logistics are complicated. Yet we are already talking about a possible next time! Who knows! It seems to call you back! I've found without the commitment, we just don't ride as much.

Cascade is doing a great job. The food was improved from a few years ago, support was good, and JBLM was a highlight. The food voucher and souvenir item (love my new t- shirt) were also a great improvements.

I had a massage and took it easy today. Back to work tomorrow!
    2011 Specialized Ruby Comp
    2015 Giant Liv Tempt 3

Quote Originally Posted by ACG View Post
    I am very honored to have completed my very first double century at the STP. We finished in the dark. Two of my friends who are double century veterans helped me though it.
    I loved every minute of it, all 15 hours of riding. Even in the dark! I'll try to do this ride again next year. The logistics of flying up and hotels, is a hassle but it is so worth it.
    I'm just back now, arriving home here in California, just a few hours now. I'm still dreaming good dreams about STP.

I hope everyone else had a good time.
    Congratulations! It can be oddly addictive...

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2009 Specialized Tricross
    2012 Trek Mamba

So glad to hear people had so much fun! The JBLM part sounds supercool.

It was the best of rides, it was the worst of rides... KHG, I'm glad you were in a good bubble. The bubble I was in seemed crazier than I remembered. It might have just been me though... still a bit nervous on rough patches of road after my crash (and concussion) in April. And so many people were passing so close to my left, I didn't have room to maneuver around obstacles or ruts. I kept pulling over to let big fast groups ride on by... Didn't see any crashes though, but saw so many close calls with cars... riders not pulling over to the right when they COULD easily have... riders pulling out right in front of cars speeding by, drivers laying on their horns, no wonder they hate us...whew, made me so nervous. There seemed to be a lot more riders this year, every rest stop was just crazy busy, especially the REI stop in Kent. But again, maybe that was just the bubble?? As late as I got into Portland on Sunday, (after 5 pm) the finish line was a zoo, and they WERE OUT OF CHOCOLATE MILK!!! I was living for that chocolate milk the last 10 miles, ha!! But I did get a massage and that made up for it!

Headwinds slowed me down more than my usual slowness, but it didn't seem all that bad, and I was so grateful for the cooler weather, I didn't mind. Had some rainfall just outside the Tennino trail rest stop, but it didn't last long.

I also loved the route through JBLM, such pretty roads, and nary a car the whole way, wow!! I was unimpressed by the peanut butter and jelly sandwiches though, after getting the impression we were going to get something "special" at the base, but my DH (who was riding at least an hour faster) said he had a nice turkey sandwich. Well, that's what you get for being slow I guess, ha.

One of the best moments for me was right before we got to the Longview Bridge and a big group of riders stopped at the traffic light...a group of riders wearing top hats on their helmets singing along to "Minnie the Moocher", so everyone else joined it. It was hilarious, what a moment! Hi-de-hi-de-hi-de-ho...
    "Don't go too fast, but I go pretty far"

Not sure what the name of the food truck that served the soft carnitas tacos, but still dreaming about that, and the cantaloupe pineapple juice they served... the free meal ticket was great! But I have to say I wasn't impressed with any of the finishing line gifts, gave my ticket to my hubby and he got a metal mug... oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by lauraelmore1033 View Post
    . Myself, I look like a reanimated corpse that's been forced to ride at the finish (I've seen the pictures, yes I do!).
    LOL! I resemble that remark... hahaha. They have pictures of me coming over the tops of hills... mouth hanging open panting for breath...not a pretty sight.

Oh, almost forgot...CONGRATULATIONS to all who finished, especially the one day riders. I am totally in awe...

Yes, congratulations all around! And mad props to those of you who rode 100+ miles on Saturday, and then got up and rode a ton more miles on Sunday--I don't know if I could have done that (or if I had, I would have been so grumpy I would be banned from future participation in STP...)

I guess whichever way you do it--one day, two day--it's a pretty impressive, crazy, and fun thing to do!
    1980-something Colnago
    2010 Jamis Quest
    2013 Wabi Classic

mebikedolomitesoneday.wordpress.com