Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I Signed up for STP. Anyone else?

To disable ads, please log-in.

This will be our second ride. We rode three years ago. There are so many reasons not to ride STP, crowd and logistics to name two. I said I had checked it off the list, but it just kept calling!

I really want to look up once in a while (very briefly in a crowd of 10,000 cyclists) and try to enjoy myself. I was so nervous last time, now I know I'm capable of doing this ride. I also find I train better with a big event scheduled way in advance. Hopefully I will get a chance to ride soon.

Hope to hear from others who have signed up too.
    2011 Specialized Ruby Comp
    2015 Giant Liv Tempt 3

Hooray Smitty! Me too! I thought you had done STP more than once? I did 2011 and 2012, and just didn't feel like doing it the next two years for one reason and another... I just feel like having a big goal to reach again, it is really motivating isn't it? The 2nd time I did STP, I was thinking at the start line "WHY am I doing this again????" For one reason, I wanted to see if I could better my time of 15 hours that first day, ha ha... and I did (by three hours!). Not sure what my goal will be this year... you definitely learn a few tricks each year you do it. We probably will stay in Winlock again I guess, but 120 miles is a long haul for me...but, like you said, we know we are capable of doing it. It does make a shorter day on Sunday.

Other than a few niggling knee issues, I feel pretty good, like I could do even better this go around. I'm getting my bikes tweaked and ready, so I am looking forward to some long training rides come spring.

And I think lauraelmore is signed up too??
    "Don't go too fast, but I go pretty far"

All the usual suspects. Dh and I are signed up as well and will do our usual tortoise and hare thing.

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2009 Specialized Tricross
    2012 Trek Mamba

We did tandem STPs in 05, 06 and 09, but haven't yet gotten the urge to do it again. I wish there was some way I could serve as a cheering section for you guys! But cheering someone on at 4 am in E1 just doesn't seem to be a useful idea.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Quote Originally Posted by salsabike View Post
    We did tandem STPs in 05, 06 and 09, but haven't yet gotten the urge to do it again. I wish there was some way I could serve as a cheering section for you guys! But cheering someone on at 4 am in E1 just doesn't seem to be a useful idea.
    We know you will be there in spirit Salsa...

did the sunday one day ride in 2013 with some friends from portland and had a great time. One of those friends called a couple of weeks ago and asked if i wanted to do it again and i said yes.....so i guess i'm going.

agree with appletree on using it as a goal...i did a few doubles that summer/autumn that gave me some good purposeful training time.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

*Edit* Nevermind, we got impatient, and got a household Cascade membership and are signed up for STP. My 5th, my husband's 8th. Portland, here we come!

I haven't signed up yet, but have a calendar alarm set for when registration opens for non Cascade members. It will be my 5th!

My experience has been that it gets more fun each year, as I have fewer and fewer nerves about being *able* to do it at all, and am more and more able to smell the roses and enjoy the experience.

I'm also excited this year about the new route through Joint Base Lewis-McChord--I think it will be interesting in its own right, and it also cuts out one of my least favorite stretches on the ride. (To be fair, that stretch of 507 would be fine if you're on your own--but you can get trapped in pretty sketchy pacelines through there on STP).
    Last edited by khg; 01-25-2015 at 06:22 PM.
    1980-something Colnago
    2010 Jamis Quest
    2013 Wabi Classic

mebikedolomitesoneday.wordpress.com

I'm also curious about the re-routing through JBLM... I had forgotten about that. Way to go khg, it might have been worth signing up... I know they actually filled up STP fairly early last year, can't remember when it was.

RebeccaC, can't even imagine doing it in one day... you won't have time to take any pictures!

Well, good luck in training everyone! Wouldn't it be fun to meet up Sunday evening for a celebration toast in Portland??

Quote Originally Posted by AppleTree View Post
    ....you won't have time to take any pictures! ....

....Wouldn't it be fun to meet up Sunday evening for a celebration toast in Portland??....
    yeah i carried fuel not my camera's

i do remember posting a iphone photo here after the ride of some of the incredible chocolate desserts we were having at Papa Haydn’s in Portland …..I’m doing that AGAIN!!!....we can toast there!!

does this re-routeing mean that climb about 40+ miles in is gone??????
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccaC View Post
    yeah i carried fuel not my camera's

i do remember posting a iphone photo here after the ride of some of the incredible chocolate desserts we were having at Papa Haydn’s in Portland …..I’m doing that AGAIN!!!....we can toast there!!

does this re-routeing mean that climb about 40+ miles in is gone??????
    Does that mean you're signing up?
    No such luck on the puyallup hill, JBLM is well after that!

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2009 Specialized Tricross
    2012 Trek Mamba

I enjoyed the challenge last time and spending riding time with a great friend, her wife and one of their friends so when she called to see if i was interested again I had to say yes I'll just send a $200 donation to the Cascade Education Foundation which is more than a membership and registration. I think my portland friends do a family membership to register early.

Tons of food at the food stops along the way, rebecca! In case you want to take less of your own and have room for that camera of yours. The standard joke is that STP is the only 206-mile ride where people can GAIN weight along the way because they're so well fed. My favorite was when the REI stop had boiled potatoes and salt.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

i have a thing about what i put in my body on a ride like that. I like the process of thinking it through, testing in training and then carrying things i know will work well on the time table i've set for the ride......and on a fast double i'd rather carry a tub of icyhot than my camera

i did ragbrai a few years ago and gained weight over the week of that riding!!!!.....but then that was more of a moving party across Iowa!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by salsabike View Post
    Tons of food at the food stops along the way, rebecca! In case you want to take less of your own and have room for that camera of yours. The standard joke is that STP is the only 206-mile ride where people can GAIN weight along the way because they're so well fed. My favorite was when the REI stop had boiled potatoes and salt.
    There were potatoes at one of the WAVE rides, I thought it was a brilliant idea! I get tired of sweet stuff pretty fast... also enjoyed the bagels and cream cheese...

RebeccaC, chocolate is a great way to celebrate anything, ha!

I'm signed up for STP, and Cascade's training series as well. I was not very enthusiastic about cycling over the fall/winter (just commuting), but the Chilly Hilly was lovely enough to re-spark my excitement. I'll be doing the one day ride with my boyfriend*, his second STP and my third.

*By the time STP rolls around he will be my h...h...h...husband. That is a hard word to type, never mind say, but I'll get used to it I guess?!