Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Congrats!

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2009 Specialized Tricross
    2012 Trek Mamba

Quote Originally Posted by khg View Post

I'm also excited this year about the new route through Joint Base Lewis-McChord--I think it will be interesting in its own right, and it also cuts out one of my least favorite stretches on the ride. (To be fair, that stretch of 507 would be fine if you're on your own--but you can get trapped in pretty sketchy pacelines through there on STP).
    UGH I was stationed at Fort Lewis and I will never enter that place again. That cut this ride out for me
    2013 Specialized Myka FSR Comp
    2013 Specialized Ruby Sport (carbon)
    2014 Salsa Vaya 3 (steel)
    2014 Felt Z75

Quote Originally Posted by TrekDianna View Post
    UGH I was stationed at Fort Lewis and I will never enter that place again. That cut this ride out for me
    How come TrekDianna? Awful road conditions or just painful memories??
    "Don't go too fast, but I go pretty far"

So.... STP is sold out--did everyone sign up who wanted to?

Here's to reasonable temperatures and a tailwind the whole way!
    1980-something Colnago
    2010 Jamis Quest
    2013 Wabi Classic

mebikedolomitesoneday.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by AppleTree View Post
    How come TrekDianna? Awful road conditions or just painful memories??
    Memories. I hated it there. Not painful, just really really hated living there. I don't even like driving by on the highway.
    2013 Specialized Myka FSR Comp
    2013 Specialized Ruby Sport (carbon)
    2014 Salsa Vaya 3 (steel)
    2014 Felt Z75

I am riding STP this year. Flying in from Los Angeles Friday, riding it in one day with some other friends who do this almost every year. I did it in 2012 but in two days. This will be my very first double. Hope to see you all on the road!

ACG, wishing you a great ride! It's easier in one day than two. It really is.

Have a great ride ACG! and everyone else. I'm relegated to the cheering section this year. Maybe I'll high five you at the finish line. Sigh.

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2009 Specialized Tricross
    2012 Trek Mamba

I'm getting excited for STP--fingers crossed, the weather looks like it will be pretty nice, cooler than the heatwave we've been having, and also cooler than last year's scorcher! I hope everyone has a great ride
    1980-something Colnago
    2010 Jamis Quest
    2013 Wabi Classic

Not doing the STP but does anyone have thoughts re a pre ride TE dinner ?
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Quote Originally Posted by Trek420 View Post
    Not doing the STP but does anyone have thoughts re a pre ride TE dinner ?
    Fun idea, but we already have plans with a friend that evening

Fyi, if you see two people dressed like this, say hi--it's probably us! We're going to test the theory that if we're in the same jersey, people won't as often try to steal my wheel from my husband, or his wheel from me. (Not like you're getting a huge prize by drafting us anyway, you're way better off drafting our 6' tall, broad-shouldered friend...)

1980-something Colnago
    2010 Jamis Quest
    2013 Wabi Classic

Ride safe and happy, STP people!

Getting ready and a bit nervous! The butterflies hit all at once!
    2011 Specialized Ruby Comp
    2015 Giant Liv Tempt 3

I hope everybody had a good ride! Ours went really well, overall. Even though we had a headwind instead of the usual tailwind, I was so happy with the weather this year--I think cloudy and comfortably cool is my power weather...

I really enjoyed the new route through Joint Base Lewis McChord--I hope that becomes established tradition. Twelve miles of traffic-free roads, instead of angry drivers. Yes please! (As a return to reality, soon after we emerged from the base onto Highway 507, a pickup went by, flying a large Confederate flag, and rolling coal.)

This year seemed to have less sketchy riding than years past--maybe it was just the little bubble that I was in, but whatever it was, it worked for me. There was a woman in the first few miles--when we're 6+ across the road--complaining "you're supposed to call out 'on your left' when you pass"--given that anyone on her left was also on someone's right, I'm not sure how she thought calling out would do anything other than confuse things. But for the most part, people seemed to be attentive, aware, and not taking silly risks

At any rate, for the most part we were able to avoid scary group riding, but were able to hook up with some nice strong pacelines, or just go on our own, and it was probably the least-stress STP I've had. And no mechanicals!

This year really highlighted for me the different kinds of fitness involved in bicycling. I don't have as many long rides this year, but I have been pushing it on the rides I do, both on my commute and on some of the hilly/mountain rides I've managed to get in. I could feel the lack of longer rides in my neck and wrists, and my lower back protested a few times, but on the other hand, I felt way stronger overall. There are a couple places that are always low points for me, and they were again, but there were some other spots where I felt the best I ever have on STP. I felt fast, and strong, and that was really fun!

I'm looking forward to next year!
    1980-something Colnago
    2010 Jamis Quest
    2013 Wabi Classic

khg....Thanks for the report I was hoping you and the others here that did it had a good ride….sounds like you did.

Two stretches on the bike that really help me on a long ride are a core and back stretch where I sit upright with my back straight. I take my left hand off bar and reach around behind me (to the left) in a twisting motion. I rest my left hand on my right hip and hold. Then I repeat with the right arm and twisting to the right. Obviously since I’m facing backward for a bit I have to be careful when/where I do it. For my wrist/forearm I bend my hand back as far as possible rotating my wrist back and forth.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron