Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: butt workout

butt workout

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have been spinning for about 6 months 3 times a week, previous to that I did various other workout routines, but spinning has seemed to work my butt muscles the best they are firmer and rounder, however a freind who spins with me said this means my bike is set up wrong and I should ONLY feel it in my thighs. We have been fighting back and forth and I have said spinning is the best all aroud leg workout from hip to butt-to hamstring-thight to calf. I am wonmdering if my bike is set up wrong or is anyone else feels it in their butt muscles? Please hekp us clear this up!!!

I think that if you are shifting the work load, using different positions and higher resistance, you are definitely working your glutes, biceps femoris, etc. (That's the big leg muscle in the back - I'm married to a painter who teaches anatomy drawing - "Hey, honey, what's this part that's sore called?" That's your biceps femoris, it's looking great from all the cycling, by the way")
    The day after a great strength-building spin class, I have a kind of good "burn" in all those butt/back of thigh muscles. It's a good question for your instructor, too. Maybe your friend needs to alter something in her workout. I see a number of people who attend class after class and never seem to touch the resistance knob (or break a sweat...)

Even if riding around outside just like in spin class there are times you use alot of your glutes and times you use more quads. It deneds a lot on the type of pedaling you are doing, the amount of tension on the spin bike, and how you are standing or sitting. From what I have seen, heard, and felt spin classes are supposed to be a total lower body workout, in fact you even use some of your abdominal strength when using tension.

It also can be at a personal level in that you use more glutes in some classes where your friend is using more quads. Each body works to some extent differently so you may be super strong in glutes and use them to do most of your work, while your friends body focuses more on the quads and hamstrings.

Personally the only time I notice my glutes doing a lot of work and burning is on standing climbs under high tension (9-14 turns), climbing steep hills outside on my bike, or trying to maintain a really high speed outside.

those are whole turns not half or quarter. Don't try it if you have bad knees or want to keep your good knees. But remember to use the tension that works for you durning class, after 6months of working out 8 full turns does not make a heavy climb, unless you are weak.

Quote Originally Posted by CR400
    those are whole turns not half or quarter. Don't try it if you have bad knees or want to keep your good knees. But remember to use the tension that works for you durning class, after 6months of working out 8 full turns does not make a heavy climb, unless you are weak.
    All spin bikes are not the same....... nor is the tension. What may feel like high tension to one person may be fairly easy for an experienced spinner and vice-versa. Nor are all spin bikes the same. Four "turns" on one bike may be comparable to 6 on another. I never felt that an instructor should indicate degrees of difficulty by number of turns of the resistance knob, but rather, in terms of challenging each person. More subjective, yes, but just as effective, depending on each riders' personal motivation. It sounds like that's what you are saying, CR, but I just wasn't sure.

As for using your glutes - in a word - YES! You definitely want to bring your glutes into play while spinning or cycling outdoors. Your glutes are the largest muscles in your body. Train them to assist in pedaling and think how much stronger you will be! More efficient, also, as the more muscles you bring into play, the less fatigue for each muscle group and the longer you are able to ride. Focus on using those muscles as you ride. Think about spinning from your hips down. Your quads definitely play a large role, too, but don't make them do all the work. Share the load.

annie
    Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." Captain Jean Luc Picard

You're right

In my opinion, I think you're friend is the one who's bike maybe set up wrong. If s/he is only feeling it in the quads, then his/her saddle position maybe too high and s/he tip-toeing on the clips, therefore not being low enough to employ the hamstrings on the pull back of the down stroke. Some cyclists ride with the saddle way too high and they're hips are actually rocking from side to side on the bike. Sure, you can ride like that but it's not using all the muscle groups efficiently. Cycling uses all muscles in your legs, from the calves, glutes, inner and outer quads, and the hamstrings, not to mention the upperbody as well. Some muscle groups are used for the forward (push) part of the pedal stroke and the others are used for the back (pull) part. When I ride a short distance or longer rides, all the muscles in my legs and calves feel it. Maybe it's because of the type of bike I ride, but I don't think so. Seated, standing, hill climbing or spinning on flats (I think) works it all.

To be able to engage all muscles you need to use your feel well while spinning. This is called foot floating. On the back stroke imagine that you are pulling your feet out of a mud pile. Your toes will be below your heal. Set your feet parallel to the floor on the front stroke. At first you will find it difficult because your ankles will feel very tired. But you will be able to feel your hamstrings.