Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Tires for 29er

Tires for 29er

To disable ads, please log-in.

Checked out MB forums, and glad to see some others using regular 29er wheels for the Krampus vice the 29+ platorm. Not ready to put that kind of money into it, yet.

I live at sea-level and just want an all-around fun bike that could grow into something more as I gain experience. May end up in sand, or small dunes with exposed roots in a tropical forest (really!). We don't have snow.

So, question. Which tires? Should I put a wider tire on front? Or both the same? Looking at maybe Maxxis Ardent 2.4 in front, and Maxxis Ignitor 2.1 in the rear. Also considering the Maxxis High Roller 2.3. Maybe the Panaracer Rampage at 2.35.

Will be running as a single speed, if it matters.

The Panaracer is supposed to be the one with the most rubber.... Saw one example of someone using an Ardentwith the High Roller. But there was a lot of love for the Ignitor, too. Really not sure what to do.

Suggestions? Combinations that sound best?

I'm confused.
    Last edited by Muirenn; 01-12-2015 at 01:15 PM.
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Krampus!

It seems with a couple of sets of wheels, that the 29+ platform is the all around best choice for folks having one bike. Can't wait to find something in my size

How tall are you and what do you have in mind? I'm 5'7" and on a size small Krampus.

Don't you have a fatbike? Was it a Mukluk?
    Last edited by Muirenn; 01-13-2015 at 06:39 AM.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

Rampages have great traction, but with that comes a fair amount of rolling resistance. That said, they're what's currently on my singlespeed because I'm too lazy to set up the tubeless again and too cheap to buy new ones until I shred these. I'll probably put Conti X-Kings on that bike when the Rampages die. I have the 2.2 X-Kings on my geared bike, and find them to be a good compromise between grip and rolling resistance. I think they come in a 2.4, which might be nice up front.

Quote Originally Posted by Becky View Post
    Rampages have great traction, but with that comes a fair amount of rolling resistance. That said, they're what's currently on my singlespeed because I'm too lazy to set up the tubeless again and too cheap to buy new ones until I shred these. I'll probably put Conti X-Kings on that bike when the Rampages die. I have the 2.2 X-Kings on my geared bike, and find them to be a good compromise between grip and rolling resistance. I think they come in a 2.4, which might be nice up front.
    I ended up getting Maxxis Ardents once I discovered their charts for determining what tread for what terrain. I was concerned about wet roots on small, steep dunes at the state park near me. They are probaby the safest, at least on paper.

Also considering the Maxxis Grifters for hardpack. I have Velocity P35 Blunts on the Krampus. They take up to 3 inch tires, which the Krampus, a mid-fat 29+, has clearance for. Not really ready to get something so wide, yet. Don't have the need. Thanks Becky!

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!