Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Vision Issues

Vision Issues

To disable ads, please log-in.

The same week I got diagnosed with basal cell I also was diagnosed with Superior Limbic Keratitis.

Basically it started out that I thought I had pink eye. Went to my GP and he gave me meds and it did squat, so I made an appointment with the opthamologist. 5 weeks with a swollen, red, irritated eye that I couldn't see out of. Well, the redness and irritation is gone, but I still can't see out of that eye. Everything is one big blur.

I'm a little concerned with how it's going to affect my riding (ie balance) and the safety of not being able to see out of that eye properly. I imagine if this conditioned stayed like this long term I'd get adjusted eventually, but as it is I feel like my eyes are constantly trying to focus and half the time I find myself closing my right eye so I can see clearly (my left eye is fine.)

Has anyone else had vision problems and if so do you have any tips for adjusting or is it just a matter of time? I also welcome any safety tips you can recommend. I'm not so worried about my mountain biking since the trails I ride are mostly tame, but I am concerned about the road biking.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

I don't have any experience or advice, just wishing you the best.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    I don't have any experience or advice, just wishing you the best.
    Thanks Oak
    2013 Electra Verse

Have you asked the ophthalmologist?

I'm wondering if an eye patch would help. It might also give the eye a rest which might help it heal. But I would check with the doctor.

Good luck.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    Have you asked the ophthalmologist?

I'm wondering if an eye patch would help. It might also give the eye a rest which might help it heal. But I would check with the doctor.

Good luck.
    I go back in on Friday and I'll ask her about it. She said something about if the meds don't work she'll want to do an outpatient surgery, so I guess I'll hear more about that. It's just disorienting like when you get new glasses and your perspective is all out of whack.
    2013 Electra Verse

Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    I go back in on Friday and I'll ask her about it. She said something about if the meds don't work she'll want to do an outpatient surgery, so I guess I'll hear more about that. It's just disorienting like when you get new glasses and your perspective is all out of whack.
    I know how you feel. A few months ago I was driving up to NY late at night (a 5-6 hour drive) and I had something in my eye, way up high under the eyelid. For most of the trip it was just annoying, but as time went on it got worse, and I started to have trouble focusing. Basically the eye started to spasm, I guess to try to dislodge whatever was causing the irritation. It was really weird and annoying. Fortunately I didn't have too much farther to drive at that point and it was late enough that there were no other cars on the road. I was able to finish the trip by closing the eye. (When I reached my destination I rinsed it with saline solution and went to bed. It was red the next day and itchy for a couple of days but otherwise it healed.)

I hope the doctor is able to help.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Yikes, that sounds like a miserable drive
    2013 Electra Verse

Wishing you the best on figuring this out, theKarens! NY Biker, that sounds miserable, glad you got through it!

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Wishing you the best on figuring this out, theKarens! NY Biker, that sounds miserable, glad you got through it!
    Thank you! See the ophthalmologist tomorrow.
    2013 Electra Verse