Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by BlessedB View Post
    I snuck out of work early on Wednesday and put in 40 miles on paved trails. It really makes me appreciate our Florida weather!
    Rode 20 this afternoon, it was in the low 60's to 50's - definitely need to get some warmer clothes. Now back home sitting in front of the fire.
    Just got back from three weeks at our new place in New Smyrna Beach. The first day we were there we popped over to Lake Mary and bought Townies, I pedaled that thing everywhere, FL weather rocks!!

Electra Townie 7D

Pax, that is great!
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

It's a good time of year to be in Arizona. I was on Christmas break from teaching through Jan 4, and got in about 125 miles. This week, I got in one after work ride (15 miles), 44 yesterday and 39 today. The weather this weekend was great for cycling- mid-40's to start and to mid-60's to near 70 later, and mostly sunny and dry, so it feels warmer. Jan 2 was really cold for us but I braved it when I rode in to work - temps in the 30's on the way in, and about 42 on the way home. Toes were cold but I managed everything else okay.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Quote Originally Posted by salsabike View Post
    Pax, that is great!
    It was like being a little kid again and getting a new bike for Christmas!

Electra Townie 7D

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    It was like being a little kid again and getting a new bike for Christmas!

Well I guess it’s too easy for me to change my mind. I’d been planning on doing an organized 200k this past weekend but when Sky King posted about her ride in that texas desert area I felt the need to ride in the Mojave desert again…..this is also a good time of the year to do it. So, we did our own 200k ride (+ a couple) leaving from and coming back to furnace creek in death valley national park on saturday. A long days ride, thankfully with little wind and traffic, but beautiful scenery in the quiet and peace of a desert, very good massages when we got back to the furnace creek inn and a sky with an incredible amount of bright stars in it that night. The next day we just rode up to dante’s view, with its up to 15% grade the last 3 miles, to watch the sunrise over the valley and on the way back to the furnace creek inn we rode artists drive and into the badwater basin with its salt flats. It was cloudy with an on/off very light rain on Sunday morning which didn’t bother me as the views were so incredible……and lots of rain on the drive home later Sunday. Temp’s in the high 40’s both mornings and high 50’s to low 60’s each afternoon. My first time in death valley and I’m definitely going back as there are so many great area’s in the national park that I want to come back to explore more.

Last edited by rebeccaC; 01-12-2015 at 08:46 PM.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Fascinating and beautiful photos, rebecca!
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Just breath-taking pictures, truly! We were in Death Valley a few years ago. It was late May...and already 110 degrees... at 7:00 pm. We did do a short ride just to say we did it, but it was not a good idea at all, ha ha. But I didn't expect to find it as beautiful as it was...not really a desert person, but it WAS tremendously beautiful. I would love to go back in more temperate weather to ride. How lucky you are rebecca! And not a car in sight!
    "Don't go too fast, but I go pretty far"

As always, beautiful photos, Rebecca! The red rock formations remind me of Bryce Canyon and Canyon de Chelly.

Holy cow, Rebecca, gorgeous pictures!!

Electra Townie 7D

Oh man I miss traveling West. Beautiful. So many good memories there. Every turn we'd take we'd be saying "wow" "OMG", etc... we sort of lost our vocabulary. haha

We have a month again this summer and wanted to travel (motorhome) since gas is so cheap (and should stay by summer). But our exchange rate is nearing 25%. So I may decide to travel in Canada instead but certainly will miss all of that. Not the same on Canadian side.

Was trying to find out cycling paths for Manitoba and nothing was looking good. Prove me wrong ladies!!! hihi

We haven't been to Death Valley since Oct. 2003. We always went in the fall. We keep meaning to go back in the spring, but there are SO many places to go to and only so much vacation time!

How was the Inn? Lodging in National Parks always seems a little overpriced to us for the type of room you get.

Death Valley in the fall - a little warmer, but still comfortable.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Love the photos! We came back to a horrible January inversion and I haven't seen the sun for almost two weeks.
    Traffic looks good When we were there in 2013 we realized the week between Christmas and New Years was not prime for biking
    Nice to see you could ride to Artist Drive, etc. If I close my eyes I can "hear" the desert. Thanks for posting
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Funny, I haven't thought about Canyon de Chelly in years. Never in terms of beauty, but back in the day, we'd always say that's where we'd end up if we couldn't get a teaching job in the city!
    Not to mention, it's always the spot where the weatherman states the lowest temperature in the state!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Thanks for the nice comments!!

Marie, the valleys red rock canyon has some amazing geologic visuals very much like Bryce!

And this + a trillion
    Quote Originally Posted by AppleTree View Post
    it WAS tremendously beautiful.

Veronica, finding the Inn with a massage for after Saturdays ride is what tipped me quickly into doing it. The Inn is an older building. What I saw of it was being nicely preserved. I’d think the expensive part is because of the location. The location is also great for short or long rides into some incredible landscapes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky King View Post
    Nice to see you could ride to Artist Drive, etc. If I close my eyes I can "hear" the desert. Thanks for posting
    Artist Drive was another world especially on a bike ….and thank you
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

We've stayed at Stove Pipe Wells and at the Ranch on previous visits to Death Valley. I like the cabins at the Ranch. They're tiny and only have a shower, but they are REALLY quiet since you only have neighbors on one side. The Inn's prices are in line with the cost to stay at most of the nicer hotels at National Parks, but those nicer hotels don't seem to have much sound proofing between rooms! Of course, I don't think either of those places offer massage.

You have to go back. There's so much good hiking there.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com