Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Chilly ride on Wednesday... 24 miles but so nice and SUNSHINY out that day. But I kept my balaclava on for almost the whole ride. Lots of other cyclists out that day too, and joggers. As cold as it was, I was surprised to see a jogger running barefoot on the trail... I didn't see you Salsa, but then again, I'm about as good at spotting bike models as I am cars...which is to say I suck at it, ha ha. Hope you had as good a ride as I did that day.
    "Don't go too fast, but I go pretty far"

I was home sick, much to my own surprise! Blech. Hoping that this week will be better for rides. I have such mixed feelings about our weather--good for riding, bad for summer drought. Did you go towards the UW or towards Marymoor?
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Quote Originally Posted by salsabike View Post
    I was home sick, much to my own surprise! Blech. Hoping that this week will be better for rides. I have such mixed feelings about our weather--good for riding, bad for summer drought. Did you go towards the UW or towards Marymoor?
    Went towards Redmond, actually turned around after stopping at Element Cycles looking for a Seahawks bike jersey... I think we are in for a nice few days, hooray for sunshine! Seems like we have had enough rain to stave off a drought, but maybe the snowpack won't be so great?

Hope you are feeling better Salsa. I'll be doing the same thing next Wednesday, IF the weather stays good!

I rode today, just 12 miles. I haven't been on my bike since Oct. We've been busy all weekend with a bathroom update and I was tired and behind on chores, no food in the house, but it was sunny and a warm 52* So off we went. It felt great. Always feels so good getting back on the bike after a long break. Darn sun was in my eyes, oh well!
    2011 Specialized Ruby Comp
    2015 Giant Liv Tempt 3

I've managed to ride outside twice this month. First on January 19 (MLK Day) I went for a 31-mile trail ride with a friend. It was cold and windy at the start and I really did not feel like being outside, but once we got going I warmed up and was glad we went. I followed some advice that I read here on TE a few years ago, I think maybe from Tulip -- I have an old wool sweater with a small hole in it, and instead of throwing it away I wore it as a bike jersey under a windproof jacket. It was warm and toasty! My legs were exhausted by the end of the ride and hurt a lot during our post-ride lunch. I'd only been off the bike for less than a month but it felt like longer.

Yesterday (Sunday) I had to work but I managed to get in a hour-long ride around my neighborhood before it got dark. There was brine on the roads to pre-treat for an approaching storm. It stuck to my tires and made a sound kind of like when you pull off a piece of tape as I rode. It also smelled bad and caused some mild post-ride irritation -- sore throat, asthma symptoms, head congestion -- similar to when they put lots of salt on the road during a snow storm. Other than the brine, it was a nice little ride. It was cloudy but with temps in the high 40s. I tested out a jacket that I had bought last year but had only worn once for a bike ride. Last time I wore it I was kinda cold, so yesterday I added one more layer underneath and it was very comfortable.

After I got home I cleaned off my tires, since I was worried that the briny stuff would make things stick to the tires and make flats more likely. That was a messy job.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I was out today ahead of the big storm that is predicted here in the northeast. Other than being outside today, it was very exciting to be back on the bike... I've been injured for quite some time now and am just getting back on the bike... and the first time on a bike outside YIPEE!

Great to read about all of your rides posted here, keep going ladies!!

Quote Originally Posted by ridebikeme View Post
    I was out today ahead of the big storm that is predicted here in the northeast. Other than being outside today, it was very exciting to be back on the bike... I've been injured for quite some time now and am just getting back on the bike... and the first time on a bike outside YIPEE!

Great to read about all of your rides posted here, keep going ladies!!
    That's COOL! Good for you!
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

We got our first desert ride of the year in on Sunday. 17 people showed up at the kick off point. I was a bit stressed as some of them wanted to be back in town by late afternoon and I have ridden this area before & knew that would make for a very fast ride. On the drive out I practiced the mantra of not needing to be responsible for other people and reminding myself all were capable, adult riders and as it was an out and back we could all go our own pace. The ride is 30 tough miles on a jeep track, gradual climb out to a canyon overlook. Beautiful desert scenery. Except for Sunday, we got there in a bank of heavy fog. The aggressive riders took off at a good clip, at mile two we hit a significant muddy patch, (note to self - no need to follow the pack) Everyone's bikes, sans one who stopped and picked his bike up, were totally covered in mud. We stopped, grabbed some sticks and started scraping. One guys rear derailleur snapped in half - he is a skilled mechanic and he quickly turned his bike into a single speed.
    I knew that once we climb the next hill we'd be out of the mud but much to my surprise everyone on the "extreme team" opted to turn back as did a few of the first time in the desert riders. Suddenly 17 became 7. We climbed the hill and viola no more mud the rest of the ride. Ryan rode the entire way with one gear. The rest of us noodled along at a nice steady pace, the sun burned off the fog at mile 7 and it was an amazing day.
    One of the women who turned around is deep into racing and she had her carbon fiber full suspension mt bike and she was freaked out that she'd gotten it dirty and was afraid it would break, that surprised me as why spend all that money on a bike if you are afraid to get it dirty - but then that's me Do I feel a bit self righteous, well I suppose I do. Looking forward to the next ride and am confident I won't be stressing out about not being "good enough"
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Saturday was slated to be really windy- just couldn't psych myself up for 30 mph gusts so I stayed home until 3:30- just went out for 16 miles.

Sunday I rode 67.5- rode to the start (not too cold, mid-40's) but it stayed overcast and the first 10 miles were along the bike path along the Rillito "river" (usually a big dry wash, as it was that day) and the cold air drainage from the foothills dropped the temperature - possibly into the 30's. My hands were freezing. Finally it warmed up- but it wasn't quite what I prepared for.

Guess the 200k did me some good- 2000 feet+ of climbing didn't stress me at all. The group wasn't really pushing hard though, so that helped. Stopped for breakfast at a golf course restaurant but I didn't really much as we had 20 miles to go and my stomach doesn't do well with greasy or heavy protein meals mid-ride.
    It turned out to be a nice day in the end.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

A little warmer than last week's ride on the trail, another balmy northwest day, but seemed to be far fewer people this week for some reason. 25 miles, still trying to go easy (on my knee) and it was great except for the worms... I have never seen my bike so worm encrusted before. It is absolutely disgusting... and I JUST washed it and lubed the chain the day before. I have full coverage fenders on this bike, but still got worm guts thrown up on my water bottle and the underside of the down tube...the inside of the fenders are...just YUCK! Unlike skyking's friend, I'm not afraid to get my bike dirty... mud is one thing, but worm guts are quite another.

Oog, is THAT what I was picking off my rear fender this afternoon? I thought it was some incredibly disgusting bug. I rode the same area you did, 32 miles altogether, but from about noon to 3 pm, so probably later than you. It sure was a nice day! Even as I worry about a summer drought, it was dang nice out there today.

Funny, SkyKing--I too think you shouldn't be afraid to ride your bike. They're tools, meant to be used. It's why I ride my Seven through the winter--if it can't take a little rain, what good is it?

Azfiddle--I can't eat big meals during rides either. They make me want to take a nap.
    Last edited by salsabike; 01-28-2015 at 08:15 PM.

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    I went out for a short ride in the snow yesterday on some side streets to test out the studded tires I recently made (you put screws through the knobs on mountain bike tires from the inside, then line the tire with an old tube so the screw heads don't puncture your tube). They worked pretty well, though I did still have some sliding because there were a couple inches of snow so the tires got packed with it at times. I was surprised how much harder it is to ride in that stuff...I ended up picking a low gear and staying in it for most of the ride. However, it was fun!
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

crazy lady also drop the air pressure in your tires, if you didn't already, when riding on snow. However the best for snow are the 4 " and widers, even my ECR with the 3+ struggles in anything deeper than 2 inches.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
    I went out for a short ride in the snow yesterday on some side streets to test out the studded tires I recently made (you put screws through the knobs on mountain bike tires from the inside, then line the tire with an old tube so the screw heads don't puncture your tube). They worked pretty well, though I did still have some sliding because there were a couple inches of snow so the tires got packed with it at times. I was surprised how much harder it is to ride in that stuff...I ended up picking a low gear and staying in it for most of the ride. However, it was fun!
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky King View Post
    crazy lady also drop the air pressure in your tires, if you didn't already, when riding on snow. However the best for snow are the 4 " and widers, even my ECR with the 3+ struggles in anything deeper than 2 inches.
    I did drop the pressure a little...put in 40 psi (the minimum for these 1.95" tires) in the house figuring the cold temps would drop it further once outside and cooled down. As for the fat tires, I am taking a trip to Vermont for a conference later this week and am hoping to be able to rent a fat bike one afternoon...there is a shop not far from where I am staying that I think rents them. Curious to try one.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

64 miles yesterday down here in Fla. 42 degrees when we started, which for us is extreme, lol, but low 70's by the end. Ride with a couple of wonderful ladies on the Suncoast Trail, north of Tampa. Then 31 today with a different group. I feel so blessed.
    Livin the life!
    2014 Trek Domane 4.7