Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

Off grid living in Canada

To disable ads, please log-in.

http://thetyee.ca/Culture/2014/12/29...rid-In-Canada/ Only about some people who are living this way. Interesting about definition of off-grid, which is not on the electrical/hydro power grid.

Dearie did live off-grid for his farm for about 4-5 yrs. about 100 km. outside of Toronto..He used gasoline generator to run lights. Propane to fuel certain appliances. Over 25 yrs. ago, options for solar and wind power was very limited.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

fascinating read. Thanks. Very interesting to see how others interpret "off-grid" living. Using diesel/gas for power generation... Maybe I'm just more extreme. I think of more carbon neutral way of living.

I guess I will keep a look out for the movie. Should be interesting.

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    Interesting, and the movie should be good. I agree about the use of petroleum products to generate power...doesn't seem very "off grid" to me, I would tend to think more of things like solar and wind as off-grid power. Also a good point about it probably not being practical for everyone to go completely off-grid depending on their work, physical capabilities, family situation etc., but that doesn't mean we all can't take smaller steps to live more sustainably.

ETA: just noticed there is a book too! May have to get that one on my new Kindle.
    Last edited by Jolt; 01-01-2015 at 07:18 AM.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Our municipality likes to boast that our light rail rapid trains are 80% wind-powered. It's the wind energy that the city has purchased and is fed into the general local power grid.

To be completely carbon neutral for several years, would be to me, more physically demanding UNLESS one can purchase solar or wind energy at reasonable rates /have equipment installed in home.

Nevertheless it's encouraging that some municipalities have some pathway systems and their public parking lots lit by solar panel lighting fixtures. Every step counts and helps that a municipality takes steps, since its residents benefit directly/can see use of some alternative energy sources.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.