Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ISO a new moisturizer

To disable ads, please log-in.

Back when I was in college in the mid-1980s, someone recommended a moisturizer called Complex 15 to me. He'd been having major problems with dry skin, and for him Complex 15 was like a wonder-drug. A few years later, I noticed it in a store, remembered the recommendation, and bought some. I've been using it ever since. Seriously, I have been using this product for 25 years. It is great. For starters, I'm not allergic to it -- and that's pretty major, since I tend to have allergic reactions to skin products. Beyond that, it's just right -- not too heavy, provides just the right amount of moisturizing without leaving your skin feeling slippery or sticky, even on a humid day. And it's fragrance-free. The only flaw was that it doesn't stand up to frequent hand-washing throughout the day, so I generally use Aveeno for my hands. But otherwise I use Complex 15.

In recent years it's gotten harder to find in stores. For a while I was buying it online at drugstore.com, and a couple of years ago I found it at Bed Bath and Beyond, so lately I've been buying it there. Until a couple of months ago, when BB&B stopped carrying it. And I just looked on drugstore.com, and they don't have it either. So I checked the manufacturer's website -- Schering-Plough. But they've been bought my Merck! And Merck sold the consumer products division to Bayer! And Complex 15 is no longer being made!!

So...can anyone recommend a light moisturizer that is unlikely to make me break out in a rash?

Since we're in the cold dry part of winter, I can use Aveeno for now. But once spring arrives, it will be too heavy and sticky. I had a small tube of Cetaphil which I tried recently, and it was horrible, way too slippery. I also had a small hotel sample of Vaseline Intensive Care that I tried, but it was also too heavy. When I look at products in the store, they're all heavy-duty for super-dry skin, and that's not what I want. I just need a light, unscented moisturizer for everyday use.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

With SPF or without?

I like this: http://www.drugstore.com/eucerin-dai...1?catid=182945.

Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by Becky View Post
    No SPF. This is for arms, legs, etc. not for my face.

Thanks!

Gone but not forgotten:

Your skin sounds like mine and I swear by Cerave. They make a full product line. I use the moisturizer from head to toe. They also have a heavier cream that I use in the winter. They now even have a suncreen with zinc. My skin is SUPER dry and sensitive, and I have had no issues. The stuff is great.

Just something to consider if you're not already sure, are your issues with soap itself or with some of the additives? I can't use "regular" bar soap, but I'm fine with liquid Dr Bronner's, pure olive oil bar soap, and the handmade soaps my sister sends me every Christmas.

As far as facial cleansing, I like Devita's product there too.

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    My main problem is showering.
    FWIW, unless I've been into something particularly dirty, I only ever use soap/shampoo/other cleansing products where hair grows, on my face and for handwashing. I'd read that that's all that's needed, I've been doing that for at least 30 years now, and I don't have mushrooms growing on my arms or belly yet ...

Not trying to hijack this thread, but do any of you know of a good soap-free shower gel or similar?
    I received a sample of L'Occitane Almond Shower Oil and fell in love with it enough to buy a full size. It is a thin oil, so I don't think it has soap in it (I haven't researched it so I'm not sure). It's been so great that I've not needed to use moisturizer since starting to use it. It's not cheap, but a little goes a long way.

Cerave does make a wash I think. I have also used Cetaphil wash with no issues.

+ 1 on CeraVe, and they have a nice cleanser too.

I need to check out the L'Occitane shower oil, that sounds nice too. I love their skin products.
    "Don't go too fast, but I go pretty far"

I have a sample bottle of Cerave cleanser that I keep meaning to try, but I always forget it about when I go to wash my face. I use Cetaphil cleanser (or store-brand equivalent) for my face, but I like the general cleanser rather than their face cleanser. I tried the face cleanser once but it smelled terrible.

Cerave's regular moisturizer has hundreds of reviews on drugstore.com and the average is a very high rating, with almost everyone saying it is not greasy. I will give it a try.

Thanks!!

Muirenn, I hope you're successful finding a non-soap cleanser that you like. Skin problems can be very frustrating, and it gets expensive trying out products only to find that you can't use them.

Gone but not forgotten:

I stopped using Cetaphil after like 25 years, because of the parabens. I use Pure. My SIL gave me some samples of CeraVe, and I liked it, so I now use it as a body moisturizer. As far as facial moisturizers, I use Clinique Repairware with SPF 15 for daytime and Ahava night moisturizer. I'm almost out of that, and I have some extra Clinique night Repairware, so I will go back to that.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I've super sensitive skin. I use No7 Protect & Perfect Serum followed by No7 Protect & Perfect Intense Day Cream (SPF15) on my face. They're hypo allergenic and fragrance free, however I've recently learnt that they contain parabens. The range of No7 moisturising products and make up is sold by Boots in the UK, but I believe that they're on sale online in the US as well.

For anyone who's interested, I use Imperial Leather SkinKind Enriching Body Wash as a shower gel. It's fragrance free, hypo allergenic and PH friendly to skin. As far as I can tell, they don't contain parabens. The Raspberry & Lime Blossom is my favourite one. I don't know if these are available in the US. They can be hard to get in the UK, but big Boots stores usually have them. The Imperial Leather Original Bar Soap is also great btw.

This source for l'Occitane looks promising, as do the body duos that include oils and lotions.
    Thanks for finding that...I'm definitely going to try it! I also got a sample of the moisturizing oil and tried it this morning because of this thread. I loved it too!

Not trying to hijack this thread, but do any of you know of a good soap-free shower gel or similar? The one I used for years is no longer being made, and now I've had problems, too.

Also, I've found a lot of African American products are very good for the skin. Found an actual shampoo that doesn't hurt my skin or damage my hair. I like Brazilian Keratin Therapy, though haven't tried any other products from this line. (Actually, I'm not certain this is supposed to be an ethnic product, but it appears to be. And I've used others in the past that definitely were).

The Cerave sounds interesting RNRLLGl. Do they have any soap free skin cleansers?
    Hijack away. We love these products. I use their shampoos and soaps often http://www.alaffia.com/index.asp

My favorite moisturizer is their shea butter blissful baby moisturizer. I find it a little heavy for during the day but putting on a little at night is great.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/