Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My head injury

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

My head injury

To disable ads, please log-in.

On Jan. 1/15, New Year's Day, I suffered a head injury after my bike collided-crashed with another cyclist who clipped into my front wheel, on a Vancouver bike path. My dearie was cycling just 10 metres ahead of me. The other cyclist landed on top of me. My bike was still between my legs when I fell on my left side. Thank goodness he wasn't a really big, much heavier person.

I was admitted for hospital overnight stay and monitoring in a downtown Vancouver hospital. I was seen by emergency services doc. And neurologist also. The left side me around my lower rib cage and lower abdomen is sore and requires me to move carefully. What a way to start off 2015.

I have no memory at all of the crash, nor of emergency responders looking after me, transport in ambulance nor of the full body CAT scan I had within hrs. of accident. I lost part of memory for about 6 hrs. I also don't remember a team meeting with neurologist, neurology student intern and my partner where they tested my cognition via series of questions while I was in bed. I have no memory of what my neurologist looks like, who handled my case looks like. I have no memory of what the cyclist looked like who crashed into me. My eyes were open, according to my partner, and I was talking, responding (not always correctly), but clearly it did not register in my memory at the time.

My emergency services doctor sister (in Toronto) who does see head injured patients quite often, has urged that I must rest and do very little…for first 2 wks. Or longer. Not even much computer nor TV screen time. I will be requesting abit more accident/disability time off after next wk. Frankly I don’t feel like returning immediately to work, with a change of managers now due to restructuring. The last thing I can cope with after this accident. Or I probably have to book a meeting rm. At work and work in quiet since I currently work in an open office floor with enough ambient noise from adjacent cubicles.

It tires me do tasks that require brain decision-making and switching at this time. Certainly I can walk short distances, but tend to be slower. I have to test this when walking in ice and snow in Calgary with my partner.

I have been advised strongly not to bike for 1 month.

For certain, you will not find me supporting: ice hockey fighting (enforcer role is terrible role to have been invented in pro hockey), soccer headhitting of the ball at high velocities, boxing, MM fighting. I have heard that football is losing its cache at some the high schools due to parental concerns, etc.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I'm very sorry to hear of your accident! I've had my share of concussions, though none as serious as what you describe. Be kind and gentle to yourself as you heal, and best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Wow. Glad you're getting good advice and that you'll have your partner's support as you heal. Take good care. Best wishes for a quick and full recovery!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Rest up, Shooting Star. You have received very good advice and care. Don't mess around with this. I have a friend from grad school, whose daughter had a concussion from a soccer head butt. It was a long time before she could do everything the way she used to.
    Yeah, and I am also against all of those things you mentioned. I am pretty sure I had a mild concussion when I slammed the point of my car door into my forehead. I rested for 1.5 days and stupidly went on a 30 mile ride the day after that. This resulted in headaches and neck pain for months. Take it easy!!!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Sorry to read you had such a "stupid" accident. Hoping for a full and speedy recovery. Just don't rush into things. I know it is hard and we think all is fine and try to go too fast too often.

Oh my, SO glad that you are coming out of it - scary stuff indeed! I am so glad that you don't live alone and have your partner to help out, thank care and keep us posted as you can.

Speedy recovery to you, shootingstar! Take care of yourself.

Yikes. I'm so glad the injury was not more serious. Rest up, stay out of work as long as you can. I hope your recovery goes well.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

That is terrible, Shootingstar! Having someone crash into me and make me fall is one of my biggest fears. Very serious stuff. Rest up and heal soon!

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2009 Specialized Tricross
    2012 Trek Mamba

So sorry to hear this, but glad to hear that you should make a full recovery!

DH has had 2 concussions, and I have cared for him with both. With both, he blacked out for a very short time, and then "woke up" but doesn't recall much. Minimizing screen time, tv, reading - anything that taxes the brain - is huge. He couldn't do that, and it took him much longer to recover. Sitting in a quiet room really is what you sort of have to do. Be gentle with yourself - things may feel weird and frustrating for quite a while - but it will get better. The other reason for not getting back on the bike immediately is something called second impact syndrome. Listen to your doc - it's not worth the risk. And, of course, replace that helmet!

It might also be worth asking your doc whether a fish oil (DHA) supplement would be appropriate. DH was strongly advised to take it (in large doses) based upon some research here (football injuries). It helped a lot.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Wow! So scary! Take care and be easy on yourself. Definitely don't push things.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Wishing you a full recovery! And be patient with yourself!

Hi,

don't fret too much about not remembering what happened that day. The important thing now is to take time to heal properly. Don't rush. take lot of naps. And wish you full recovery. Resting will also help with your other physical injuries.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Oh my, SO glad that you are coming out of it - scary stuff indeed! I am so glad that you don't live alone and have your partner to help out, thank care and keep us posted as you can.
    Thx for the good vibes from everyone. Useful to hear other people's stories --not just for me but for others.
    My partner is my witness to the accident scene and how I responded during the hospital testing (on 3 different time occasions).

I have a good friend in Calgary who is able to help me (and she knows about cycling), but I would like to reserve her help much later on when I am whole lot better.

Apparently it is not unusual for people with head injuries to never recall their accident at all. Yes, it is a kinda creepy feeling.

Blueberry, I'm the sort of person that can easily stare into space for several hrs. on airflights and not be entertained by tv/movie or music. Or sit for hrs. on a bus, train ride and stare out the window. Not read nor do any computer screen stuff. I don't own /use a cellphone so I haven't got into the habit to constantly busy myself with loose time. I entertain with my own thoughts or chill out.

Need to get off computer now.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

EVERY person I know who has had a concussion has no memory of the moments before, during, or shortly after their accidents. For the first day or two after my MIL's concussion this Summer she would tell us the same story over and over. It was hard to impress upon her that she needed to not be up and around and trying to run errands or get right back on her bike. This seems pretty common with all of the cyclists I know who have had similar incidents.

Thankful you're OK and on the mend. I shudder to think what would happen to most of us if we didn't wear helmets!!
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2