Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My head injury

To disable ads, please log-in.

Oh my ShootingStar! Best of wishes for a gentle healing. I can only second all the reminders to be careful.

I came off my bike just before Christmas, and sprained my wrist and got a couple of feisty bruises, and didn't realize until much later that I had hit the ground hard enough to put cracks in my helmet. And even that quite mild bump was enough that a week later, I tired easily and was happy to spend hours just staring into space. Heads are precious things. Good luck!
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

So sorry this happened to you! It's weird...I can remember every detail of my crash where I fractured my pelvis...kind of wish I couldn't! BUT, I didn't hit my head, or if I did, it was so light that it did no damage. My pelvis broke my fall (pardon the pun).

You've received some excellent advice here, and I have nothing to add except that it sucks that this happened to you, and I hope you'll heal up well. DO take time to recover and don't rush it.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Oh my gosh, so sorry to hear this happened to you shootingstar. What a scary accident! 2015 is not off to a good start. My husband also had a bike accident a few days ago. Will post about that later.

Heal well, sending good thoughts your way!
    "Don't go too fast, but I go pretty far"

How scary! Wishing you the best...
    2007 Trek 7.2 FX
    2015 Felt F85X with Specialized Oura seat, Specialized Road Pro II handlebars, and Look Quartz pedals

I crashed my mt bike in August and my face and shoulder took the hit. Luckily it was on packed dirt and not rocks. I whacked my head pretty good. Had a minor, very minor concussion and was wonky with headaches for a few weeks. Just really take it easy. And if you are reading these responses you are not taking it easy!!!!! It is a tough "take it easy" because most of us read or watch a movie when we are sidelined, but you need to let your brain rest.

I hope you feel better soon.

Shootingstar, I'm so sorry this happened. Heal up fast!

How are you doing shootingstar? Hope your recovery is progressing well and you are feeling back to your normal self soon. Just wondering how it was going along for you...
    "Don't go too fast, but I go pretty far"

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I am better apple each day. Today went for a short 15 min. walk in abit of snow with dearie for lst time since accident on New Year's Day. Had a coffee and then walked home. Went to bed.

I am fed information so far from sister who is an emergency medicine doctor past decade and she deals with head injuries quite often. Her warning: if you've had multiple concussions over the years, be warned it is cumulative damage to the brain.

This is why football player may ie. suddenly die because the person may have already sustained several head injuries recently over different times in past few years.

I feel incredibly lucky..that my vision, speech, etc. was not affected.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 01-10-2015 at 02:55 PM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Oh, Shooting Star, I'm so sorry this happened to you! Wishing you full and complete healing.
    Hugs,
    B
    Livin the life!
    2014 Trek Domane 4.7

Wow, what a way to start the new year! Glad you're on the mend.

Electra Townie 7D

Shooting Star,

So sorry to hear about your accident. No words of wisdom or experience but I'm happy to hear you're getting good support, advice etc. Just let you body tell you when you are ready to move back into your routines, as they unfold. Hugs- Sharon
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Wishing you the very best, shootingstar! Take care of yourself - give lots of time for recovery!

Serendipity

"So far, this is the oldest I've ever been....."

Shootingstar, I thought you might find this interesting.

https://formerf1doc.wordpress.com/20...for-formula-1/

The background is that Formula 1 driver Fernando Alonso had a high-speed crash during a recent test session and spent several days in the hospital due to a concussion. He is now recovering at home. Today his team announced that he will not drive in the first race of the season on March 14, due to the risk of serious injury if he were to crash again so soon after this incident. http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/31713292

Some people are speculating that he must have been more seriously injured than official reports have let on, as if a concussion were something that people always recover from quickly. After reading about your experience, the decision for him to miss the race made total sense to me. And I think it was a good decision -- in many sports, people downplay head injuries (and other injuries in general) so they can keep playing regardless of possible long-term consequences.

The writer of the blog post above is a physician who used to be the medical rescue coordinator for F1 racing. Prior to that he was the assistant to the medical rescue coordinator Sid Watkins, who is credited with making huge strides in improving driver safety.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I don't follow sports car racing, so was unaware of head injuries, ny biker. So good that he is withdrawing from racing.

May I suggest to anyone who hears the term concussion if they are affected: use the term head injuries. That's what it is. That's how doctors who I've dealt with term it. The term "concussion" obscures the reality of what it is.

The more I stumble across head injuries stories and its downplaying for so long in various sports, because people don't want to let down rest of the team /don't want their individual performance to be viewed as weak if they withdraw for recovery / driven by money purse.....it's shocking.

My sister-emergency medicine doctor emphasized that multiple head injuries for 1 person in their lifetime, is cumulative damage to the brain.

A Canadian hockey player Steve Matador surprised the NHL fan world when he died @ 35 yrs. just a few wks. ago this yr. http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/st...ss-away-early/ It's very sad, because his father sits on the board of directors on hockey safety with a well-known Toronto doctor in spinal cord and head injury trauma who has been tireless advocate in Canada nationally for ie. seat belt safety (for preventing spinal cord injury) in cars, bike helmet .....

It actually is now disturbing to me, that head injuries would be even downplayed in the cycling world ....

Here is an readable medical article: http://www.cmaj.ca/content/185/11/975
    Last edited by shootingstar; 03-03-2015 at 07:37 PM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.