Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Mechanical vs hydraulic brakes

To disable ads, please log-in.

So I was reading about disc brakes, and it seems hydraulic brakes have reverse stopping, sp the left brake goes to the rear cog. Is that true? I wanted hydros, but that might be a deal breaker.

Anyone have any opinions on this? Would it be worth doing hydros even with weird braking?

I can get avid mechanical BB7s or shimano br bl m395 or br m446 bl m445s; all three sets close to the same price. Any opinions as to which I should get?

Are mechanicals the easiest to maintain?

Should I consider something more expensive?
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Krampus!

I don't know anything about it really, but switching which lever goes to which brake is a relatively simple matter of replacing lines. It's likely you won't be able to just swap them left for right (because of routing issues), and brake lines are obviously more expensive than cables if you do need new ones, but it's not really that big of a deal. Best if you have someone experienced show you how to bleed the lines the first time you do it, but that's a skill you'll need to have down the line when you change the fluid anyway.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Okay. Sorry but I'm unclear. Is it possible to make the right brake lever stop the rear wheel?

Thanks!

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

I wouldn't think there would be any problem, but you'd need to ask someone who actually knows. The biggest potential issue is whether the master cylinders and hoses are the same size on front and back.

If everything's the same size, then it's just a matter of making lines to fit the opposite routing, just like you'd probably need to cut new cable housing if you were swapping cable actuated brakes. Nearly any town has a local hydraulic hose company that should be able to do that.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Okay. Cool.

I'm building a frame set and buying all the parts, so nothing to swap. (Surly Krampus!!). Doing as single-speed, which is perfect here at sea-level.

Since I posted this, I looked into the TRP Spykes, since I've TRP cantis on my CAADX, and they are great quality. Looks like the reviews are very good, and they are about 10 dollars more than the others I mentioned. (Not counting brake levers, so I guess more like 50 more. Huh. 50 bucks is worth good brakes, though). They are their entry-level mechanical. I appreciate the info on hydros, though. May upgrade to super expensive hydros, someday.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

Shimano hydros are bomb-proof. I won't use anything else on my mountain bikes.

The only time I've ever had a pair of hydros set up moto (Right hand = front wheel) was the time I ordered a set from the UK. Every other set of US-purchased hydros I've owned has been set up the traditional American way (Left hand = front wheel).

Which model, exactly, do you recommend? I'm not too picky about price, I just need to stay away from overkill in that area.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

There's been so much good trickle down technology with Shimano stuff that you don't need to spend a lot. My go-to group for parts in general is SLX. Not the lightest, but virtually all of the technology of XT and XTR.