Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

sucess wuth ramen noodle

To disable ads, please log-in.

Made miso ramen from scratch. My partner likes it!! YIPEE!!! Success.

Don't care much for the instant with all the chemicals they throw in. So, I've been searching and fiddling with the recipes.
    Changed the noodle recipe to:

80ml of water
    2tsp of food grade washing soda or (bake baking powder in an oven at 250F for about an hour)
    1 cup of bread flour (could use AP)

knead the dough till it comes together. knead for about 3 minutes more. wrap it up in plastic and rest for an hour on a counter or in the fridge.

I cheat and use my pasta maker to knead the dough and to make the noodle. noodle should be around 1/16" thick and wide. Spagetti setting is good. When the noodle is made, coat it with flour to keep it from sticking. boil at least a 1-1/2 quart of water. when the water boils drop in the raw noodle. Use chop sticks or fork to separate the noodle as it cooks. When the water returns to boil, turn down the heat to just over a simmer for about 3 to 4 minutes. drain and rinse in hot water several times. This will keep the noodles from sticking. It should be al dente. And yes the water will foam when the ramen noodle is boiling away.

Miso soup base.

3 cups of home made chicken stock (not salted)
    1 cup of water if stock is thick for total of 4 cups of liquid.
    1/2 tsp of instant dashi (optional get it the asian store when you buy the miso)
    2 TBS of well ground miso (miso comes in several style some have chunks of soy others are smooth paste. Use smooth paste with medium brown color)
    2 tsp of oyster sauce
    1tsp sesamme oil (should be brown in color) MUST!!

mix and dissolve the miso into the stock and bring to a simmer and add the remaining ingredients.

toppings:

bean sprout should be pan fried in bit of butter. put a lid on the pan to help steam the sprout.
    napa cabbage. cut to bite size and also sautee in the pan.
    fresh scallions diced.

if the noodle has cooled off, blanch in boiling water, drain really well and place it in two serving bowl. pour soup base over the noodles. place cooked bean sprout, napa cabbage and garnish with scallions. Some like an egg dropped in right before serving others like to have the egg cooked in the soup. (crack the egg into the soup. you don't boil the egg then remove the shell.)

condiment for the ramen is powdered/white pepper.

This was tonights dinner for us. Dec. 26 It was heaven.

I've never had Ramen that didn't come in the package, but home made sounds sooo good! I wish my DH wasn't of the opinion that soup isn't "real" food...

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2009 Specialized Tricross
    2012 Trek Mamba

Fresh prepared ramen noodles aren't that hard to come by here in Seattle. You can also usually find non-fried & dried ones in the freezer case too. I like to make my own dashi. It's really easy as long as you can get the bonito flakes, which again aren't hard to find around here.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

tonight, I made nabeyaki udon. Noodles from scratch again and the soup base. Topping was not your standard nabeyaki thanks to my partner. She wanted bean sprouts... Tonight's nabeyaki was with chicken, broccoli, carrots, fresh shiitake mushroom, and boild egg (normally a fresh egg is cracked into the soup base but my better half wanted a boiled egg instead)

noodle takes bit of elbow grease to make. Dough is really stiff. It's just flour, water and bit of salt.

just over a cup of flour
    1 tsp of salt
    enough water to make the dough very stiff. (recipes on internet differ wildly and some use wayy too much salt).

once you make the noodle, boil in big pot of water for 3 to 4 minutes. Not 12 or 15 minutes some are suggesting.

Success! my partner liked it.

from my house to downtown Portland is just over 20 minutes. From my farm to downtown is about 40 minutes. The downside of not living in town.