Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Breast Cancer.

To disable ads, please log-in.

I too was diagnosed with ductal carcinoma and decided after several needle biopsies and a lumpectomy that when it showed up again, to have a mastectomy. To me the most anguishing effect was the waiting for the phone calls to tell me the results. I had the mastectomy with a great feeling of relief, refused the follow up radiation and suffered through tamoxifen for 18 months before I swore off that as well. I am only three years clear of the surgery but since getting off of the tamoxifen I feel like a whole new person. I was back to training full time about six weeks after surgery but I had been doing elliptical, tread mill, stretching and riding on the trainer in the meantime so although I lost a bit of core strength I was overall in pretty good shape and getting back to realing feeling good was much after that.

Just a passing thought/hint. If you do decide to have a mastectomy, Bike jerseys make a reasonably good fashion statement and the pockets are great for the drainage bag.

Whateve you decide, go forward with confidence, take time to take care of yourself, let others know what you can and can't do and let them help you and most of all know that we are all here any time you want to vent, talk, ask questions or just say hi.
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

Some great advice here. I have nothing to add except that I hope you get the best possible news from the tests and an easy treatment journey.

Sending healing thoughts your way!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

So, the larger mass was cancer but contiguous with the smaller nodule, so bumped me up to a stage II, but it's estrogen/progesterone positive and Her-2 negative which means I SHOULDN'T have to have chemo unless the surgery indicates lymph nodule involvement or the margins aren't clear. Which brings up another subject. I'm only a week out from surgery (a lumpectomy) and I'm re-thinking it and really wanting to have a mastectomy instead. I don't want to be in limbo. I want the whole thing gone!
    I have a call into my surgeon and I'm totally aware that the surgery is more involved, but I'm not my breasts and just want this resolved.
    Vertically challenged, but expanding my horizons.

Sorry to read this. I think too if I had to get through that route I'd go for a mastectomy. No one wants body parts taken away but given the choice, I prefer to keep a leg or an arm than a breast.

I remember when I went through breast reduction, the men I was talking with could not believe I wanted less. For most of them, the more the better! Deuh! Hubby was freaking out. But now that he sees I'm healthier (no more back pain) and that I can do much more without those huge boobs, he's ok with my decision. But would still have me to have more and I'm still a "C". Luckily my scars are not bad but they will always be there as they had to do the anchor type surgery. But why is it that we are often too focused when it comes to sexual body parts and not if it was an arm, a leg, etc... As you say, life is not breasts. It is just part of you and the other parts are just as strong.

Good luck in whatever option you go through. It won't be easy but once this is all over, you'll be back to your old self again.

I don't blame you either. You do whatever is best for you.

I'm hoping for a speedy recovery for you. Keep us updated when you feel like talking.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

I totally get your thinking. For me, bilateral mastectomy was the only other option I considered in any depth. A life where I would have had to go to doctors regularly to be treated like a piece of spoiled meat without intellect or emotion, just didn't seem like any kind of a life at all to me.

Just be aware of the risks beyond the surgery itself - the increased risks of lymphedema and chronic pain, the aftereffects of anesthesia.

Hugs to you whatever you decide. Fingers crossed they stick with the recommendation against chemo. Take good care, and take as much time as you need to both learn and process it all.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

((((Raindrop)))). Sending you warm healing thoughts as you walk this path.

Electra Townie 7D

Raindrop, that is a difficult situation with even more challenging paths to consider. Sending you healing thoughts and prayers, and take what time you need. Hopefully they won't change their mind about the chemo!

I had my mastectomy yesterday and although I was a zombie all day because of the Dilaudid, I'm now home and feeling really good. In fact, I've only had to use 1/4 of the dose of pain medication since I got home. My scar looks good (no reconstruction) but the drains are a pain to drain, but hopefully will be out by early next week.
    Vertically challenged, but expanding my horizons.

I'm glad it went well! Best wishes on your recovery.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Glad to hear things went well. Here's to a swift recovery!
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Here's to quick healing!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Glad you're doing okay, Raindrop. Hope the recovery process is smooth and uneventful!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Sending you healing thoughts, raindrop! And a supportive family.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know whatís in a personís heart.

wow, that was fast. Quick and complete healing to you.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler