Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

To disable ads, please log-in.

Spoke too soon...wi-fi is back to running slow and intermittently dropping and then reconnecting. *sigh* This seems to be a fairly widespread problem, but apparently Apple has repeatedly feigned ignorance. Dammit, I miss Steve Jobs. Hardware, software, and customer support all seemed so much better when he was still actively the face of Apple.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

@zoom-zoom

Good thing you were all ok and got a bonus day off to boot.

That's a pity about your Wi-Fi. Are you sure it's definitely a Yosemite issue and not an issue with your broadband provider / other hardware? I had a very similar issue recently. The provider sent out an engineer and it turned out that I just needed a new router. They swapped it out and that was it - problem solved.

I agree about Steve Jobs. Though maybe Apple employees prefer to have lunch with their current CEO...

http://www.businessinsider.com/what-...t-apple-2014-6

That's true, I would check the router before definitively blaming your OS. They don't last forever.

Jobs ... maybe, maybe not. I've seen the same kind of things happen with Garmin, which never had a cult of personality the way Apple did. I think any company that enjoys that kind of success will eventually get to the point where they don't feel their product has to live up to their reputation any more. I think it just took Apple a little longer to get to that point, because it was the iPod and not the computer that really got them there.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    That's true, I would check the router before definitively blaming your OS. They don't last forever.

Jobs ... maybe, maybe not. I've seen the same kind of things happen with Garmin, which never had a cult of personality the way Apple did. I think any company that enjoys that kind of success will eventually get to the point where they don't feel their product has to live up to their reputation any more. I think it just took Apple a little longer to get to that point, because it was the iPod and not the computer that really got them there.
    And then the iPhone...I believe that has been deemed the device that really turned things around for Apple more than any other. I sure do love mine most of the time (though iOS7 was garbage and had me rethinking that. Thankfully 8 seems just as reliable as 5 and 6 were).

I wondered about the router, but wouldn't all of our other wireless devices have issues, too, if the router were failing? 2 laptops, 2 phones, and iPad are all connecting and staying connected fine...as is the TV (which may be directly connected to the modem, I forget) and the basement TV's Chromecast. And the router's <2 years old. We replaced it when we moved, so it's relatively new. Plus, I had similar issues to what I'm having now when my computer was brand new. At our old house I had to cable connect directly to the modem in the same room. Now that I'm 2 rooms away I don't have that option without drilling holes and running cable under the floor.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

@zoom-zoom

Good point. If every other device is working ok, then maybe it isn't the router.

Have the Mac forums been any help?

I used to have a Samsung Galaxy S3. I loved it until the day it stopped working. Apparently, it's a memory issue which loads of people have been affected by. Your phone just dies suddenly. There was no point in trying to get it fixed by Samsung because apparently they'll say that your screen is damaged when it's only a little bit scratched like everyone's is and they charge you for that. I mean, what has that got to do with a memory issue anyway?

I'm more and more convinced that a lot of these tech companies are happy when these kind of things occur, so as to force you into buying new products. After that, no more Samsung for me. I got an iPhone 5S because I didn't think the iPhone 6 was worth the extra money. So far the iPhone 5S has been great. And I can sync it to my Macbook Pro and iPad Mini, which is very handy for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubz View Post
    @zoom-zoom

Good point. If every other device is working ok, then maybe it isn't the router.

Have the Mac forums been any help?
    The various Apple-related forums have only been sorta helpful...so many people are battling this issue, but what works for one person doesn't work for another. I think I've tried at least 3 things, to no avail. And there are at least 2 dozen different "fixes" I've read -- some requiring skills I don't possesses. Ugh. Of course, Apple is remaining mum about things, like every other tech company. I'm sure they'd love it if I simply bought a new computer, but we are short on cash from Christmas.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Phew, Apple finally rolled-out the 10.10.2 update and it *seems* to have resolved the slow/disconnecting wi-fi issue, at least for me. I've read some reports that it didn't help some and actually caused issues for others who had no previous issues. Weird.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Dammit, spoke too soon. It's just as bad as ever, now. *sigh* Buying a new computer wouldn't even help, as they're all going to be equipped with the same OS that's causing the issues. Meh.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    Phew, Apple finally rolled-out the 10.10.2 update and it *seems* to have resolved the slow/disconnecting wi-fi issue, at least for me. I've read some reports that it didn't help some and actually caused issues for others who had no previous issues. Weird.
    This sounded encouraging.

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    Dammit, spoke too soon. It's just as bad as ever, now. *sigh* Buying a new computer wouldn't even help, as they're all going to be equipped with the same OS that's causing the issues. Meh.
    And now I'm scared again. I don't like the way my computer has been working since the update, I don't like the way Yosemite looks, and even though I was thinking about getting a new computer, I don't want to be forced into it.

I also seem to be getting loads of ads. Did I lose a filter with the update, or is it just coincidence?

Quote Originally Posted by IBrakeforPastry View Post
    I also seem to be getting loads of ads. Did I lose a filter with the update, or is it just coincidence?

You might have to check your ad blocker settings if you installed a new/several steps updated browser - doesn't hurt to check them periodically anyway. Which browser and which plug-ins are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    You might have to check your ad blocker settings if you installed a new/several steps updated browser - doesn't hurt to check them periodically anyway. Which browser and which plug-ins are you using?
    How do I check them? I'm using Safari (that's my browser, right?) and I don't know which plug-in. Thanks

In the "Help" menu, the last choice is "Installed Plug-Ins." That will show you what you have now.

I'm not terribly well versed in Safari (I use it solely as my "wide open" browser in private browsing mode, when I have a burning desire to look at some unsanitary website that I just can't get completely whitelisted in Firefox ... which these days more and more e-commerce sites have so many scripts and cross-scripting that that's my only alternative for shopping, but anyway ...)

What adblocker(s) and/or script blocker(s) did you used to use? Adblock Plus, NoScript and Ghostery are the three most popular (though I don't think NoScript has a Safari compatible version)? I'm far from a power user but I can probably give you some pointers on setting up whichever one(s) of those you're used to using?

You can download new extensions at https://extensions.apple.com . I notice there that there's a "Click to Flash" plug-in there, which I'm not familiar with.

Well that's weird. I was sure I answered you earlier this evening.

I checked the plug-ins just like you directed, and there are LOTS of them. What am I looking for?

I'm going away for a week starting tomorrow, so if I don't get back here, it'll have to wait until the end of next week. I'm not ignoring you. Thanks for the info.