Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Years Run

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'll be looking too to get back to a pool. See....this thread is taking us somewhere. I do not like public pool just for the strong smell, having to wear a headcap and often the water is a bit too cold for my taste but if it can help my knees, it may be worth the try.

Yeah, I hate chlorine too, plus it kicks up my asthma a little - not so much as I'd notice otherwise, but if I go pool running before my allergy shot and blow into my peak flow meter, it always shows.

Wet run today. I figured I'd ride to the yoga studio, run from there, do the aerial class and ride home. The radar showed only sprinkles. It started pouring about three minutes after I left on my bike, d'oh. It let up and dried out a little, but by then I was so soaked that I had to borrow a towel from the teacher who fortunately lives in the back of her studio, and my butt was still wet enough to soak through the kite. It seemed to stop raining while class was going on and started up again about two minutes after I started to ride home. Blecch. At least it was warm!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Did my 18 miles yesterday. I now know why a 1/2 marathon is my race. 18 miles is long and that really means 8 more to complete a marathon. I felt like I had a few more miles in me, but not 8. My overall avg pace is JUST within my goal (finish in 5 hours). So I'm a bit nervous that I won't make my goal time. But I felt pretty comfortable and I don't dread 20 miles (1 week from tomorrow) as I really felt like I could do 20.
    I have a few minor blisters on a few toes, but nothing that will prevent me from running again soon!
    K
    katluvr

Way to go Kat! You've got this, you know how the race-day psych always gives you speed and endurance you don't have in training.

Hope your blisters heal fast. I'm a huge believer in Band-Aid Advanced Healing Blister colloidal pads - both to let me run without pain when I have a blister, and to pre-wrap my most blister-prone toe if needed.

Speaking from my recent experience.... for me, miles 16-19 were the most difficult mentally. It really felt that after 15, everything seemed to slow down. When I saw the mile marker for 20, it seemed the end was near since the mile markers now started with 2 rather than 1. After seeing 20, I thought, "huh" I only have a 10K left." That was my experience. Your mileage may vary

dianna

Quote Originally Posted by katluvr View Post
    Did my 18 miles yesterday. I now know why a 1/2 marathon is my race. 18 miles is long and that really means 8 more to complete a marathon. I felt like I had a few more miles in me, but not 8. My overall avg pace is JUST within my goal (finish in 5 hours). So I'm a bit nervous that I won't make my goal time. But I felt pretty comfortable and I don't dread 20 miles (1 week from tomorrow) as I really felt like I could do 20.
    I have a few minor blisters on a few toes, but nothing that will prevent me from running again soon!
    K
    2013 Specialized Myka FSR Comp
    2013 Specialized Ruby Sport (carbon)
    2014 Salsa Vaya 3 (steel)
    2014 Felt Z75

12 miles today. I know why I don't do more marathons...the time to train (properly which I am barely doing) is very time consuming. Yes, I could of got out of beed sooner (was out about 6:30) and could of moved faster to get ready (but I like to enjoy some coffee, Today Show and my cats on my morning off). AND if a was faster....(well that's another story). So by the time I head out (8:30) and do my 12 miles (2 hr 14 minutes) it's almost time for lunch!
    Trying to feel more comfortable with the 1/2 half of the marathon mileage. My pace was about the same as the last 12 miler, but I think I was struggling less in the latter miles (or at least that is what I tell my self).

Next on the agenda: 10 K and 5 K on Saturday, back to back "races". I'll see if I can pick up the pace a bit!

K
    katluvr

I'm just not a morning runner either. I might not even have got started running had I not had the luxury to run in the middle of the day! I don't mind waking up early, but my body is just creaky until I've been up for a couple-three hours.

I almost flattened a pedestrian today. I'm running intervals wearing my hi-viz yellow jersey and arm warmers and hi-viz orange gloves, she starts crossing the street with headphones and sunglasses on a cloudy day without even looking to her left. There was a car passing on my other side so I couldn't swing wide. I had to holler to get her to notice me and then she's all, why am I there? Lucky for her I wasn't another car!

Good luck on your races Kat! Someday I might do one of those back-to-back things but it just sounds painful!