Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Years Run

New Years Run

To disable ads, please log-in.

Is anyone here doing one? I just signed up for a New Years Eve 5k. I figured its a good way to end 2014 and start 2015.
    2007 Trek 7.2 FX
    2015 Felt F85X with Specialized Oura seat, Specialized Road Pro II handlebars, and Look Quartz pedals

I just found out there is a beach 5K near me on New Year's morning. I probably will do that. I've just kicked off my training for Boston, but since I'm self-coaching again this time around, I get to decide which local races I'll do. All the 5Ks I did leading up to New York turned out to be reasonably decent speedwork, not necessarily the absolute best way to prepare for a marathon, but a great balance between a targeted workout and plain fun.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Yes, I am going a New Year's marathon.
    2013 Specialized Myka FSR Comp
    2013 Specialized Ruby Sport (carbon)
    2014 Salsa Vaya 3 (steel)
    2014 Felt Z75

None for me, I am still on the injured list. Hoping to cleared in a few weeks, at which point I am treating myself to a new pair of running shoes. Then the challenge will be to figure out how to ease my way back into running. I am thinking a walk/run program.

Dang TrekDianna, I guess that means no New Year's Eve party for you! But extra champagne after.

The scheduled workout in my training plan is 5 miles warmup, 4 x 1 mile at Threshold pace, two miles cooldown. I think instead I'll run the two miles to the 5K and back and jog another four somewhere in there.

I'm doing a New Year's Eve run...16 miles on the training plan for tomorrow. Then I'll rest up or bike on New Year's Day.
    katluvr

Quote Originally Posted by Bones8 View Post
    Is anyone here doing one? I just signed up for a New Years Eve 5k. I figured its a good way to end 2014 and start 2015.
    No run. We'll ride to see the polar bear swim if I can get warm enough.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

2nd 16 mile run done! First time I had a really tough time mentally and physically. Really ran out of gas near the end, could not imagine running 26.2 miles! So I did set out this AM to conquer 16 miles. Did a different route (mental) and focused hard on feeling "good" (another mental task). It was cloudy, drizzling and very windy this AM. I warmed up quickly, rain never came and skies lightened a bit but the wind never went away. It was favorable at times, but right in my face at others. Mile 10-13 I was joined by a nice gentleman. He 68, lives in Canada, comes to FL for part of the winter, originally from Finland (you can learn a lot about someone in 3 miles). He was doing about 25 miles today (seriously!). He's done 100 mile and 50 mile races, but he's a bit out of shape, he said. He had a strange running style, looked more like a fast walk, but it works for him. I was probably much more out of breath than him. But running and chatting with him really helped me out in those middle miles. I did fade at mile 13, but not as bad as last time (or as early). Cut 7 minutes off my last 16 mile run! Woo too!
    K
    katluvr

I will be running in the morning, though nothing organized. I run at the local track and am gradually working my way up as I've just started back after a couple-year hiatus. I am up to a little over 2 miles of running plus 2 more miles of walking total. My legs, heart, and lungs could take a bit more, but it is very hot and humid here (Playa del Carmen, Mexico), so that is all I can manage before I melt -- I'm totally drenched when I finish. Tomorrow the track is closed for NY's Day, so I will try running on the road. Hoping for a cloudy morning. As much as I love the sun, it takes it out of me when I run.

Enjoy your runs, everyone!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I did it. The whole 26.2 miles. It was miserable. Well, the run was fine. The weather was miserable. I can't even begin to imagine how much time I lost trying to get wet tights pulled down and pulled back up again with hands so cold I could barely feel them when I had to pee. I did it though. Now I have to do another one in better weather.
    2014 Felt Z75

Way to go TrekDianna! Touch wood, I've never run a wet marathon and I hope I never do. I have wondered whether I'd even make it through the whole thing. Kudos to you for sticking it out!!

My race was wet too, but warm enough that it was pleasant, and even the other 8 miles didn't get so wet as to be sloshing in my shoes. My only hitch was when my shoe came untied within the first mile of the race. D'oh!!

Congratulations, TrekDianna! I just don't know how you folks who run marathons do it. You have my utmost respect and admiration!

As for me, I was happy with my little run around town and down to the beach. I didn't have a GPS but estimate I ran about 2.5 miles and walked about 1.5. It was cool to be running and feeling GOOD while most of the city slept after the long night of partying. There was evidence of it everywhere: confetti, trash, vomit. Ugh. One beach club was actually still pounding music at 8 am.

Yesterday I ran my first 5K since 2012 in Belize. Nothing organized, just took my DH's Garmin so I was sure of mileage and ran at the local track. I was pleased with my time since I am a slow runner. Mile 1 was slower, but Mile 2 and 3 both came in at 10:05, which is quite good for me. I have only been run/walking again since we got down to Mexico in early November, after a year of much, much cycling and very little else, so running even a 5K was an accomplishment for me.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Funny, I thought since i was in Texas that the weather would be ok, but it was seriously Oregon winter weather. UGH. I'm glad yours was warm.
    2014 Felt Z75

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    Congratulations, TrekDianna! I just don't know how you folks who run marathons do it. You have my utmost respect and admiration!

As for me, I was happy with my little run around town and down to the beach. I didn't have a GPS but estimate I ran about 2.5 miles and walked about 1.5. It was cool to be running and feeling GOOD while most of the city slept after the long night of partying. There was evidence of it everywhere: confetti, trash, vomit. Ugh. One beach club was actually still pounding music at 8 am.

Yesterday I ran my first 5K since 2012 in Belize. Nothing organized, just took my DH's Garmin so I was sure of mileage and ran at the local track. I was pleased with my time since I am a slow runner. Mile 1 was slower, but Mile 2 and 3 both came in at 10:05, which is quite good for me. I have only been run/walking again since we got down to Mexico in early November, after a year of much, much cycling and very little else, so running even a 5K was an accomplishment for me.
    Oh! I don't think that a ten minute mile is slow at all!
    2014 Felt Z75

8 miles today. I wanted to do the last half faster than the first. So I really took it easy my first 4 miles and then pushed it a bit the last. Overall time about the same as always but I accomplished my goal. I really need to feel stronger later in my runs.
    My 18 mile LR is coming up on Sat. I have only run that far a handful of times. I am trying not to let it get to me. It's just mileage I have to tackle, that's all!

IMO: 10 min miles are not slow. That is a dream goal to run 10 minute miles for longer than a 5K. Sometimes I can't even do it for a 5K. But I'll find that out in a few weeks when I do a 10K race immediately followed by a 5K.

Oh, and our weather is weirdly warmer and more humid than normal. Even for FL we had 80 degree days this past weekend. Today a bit cooler and cloudy until sun came out this afternoon. But this runs are still in some pretty warm weather.

K
    katluvr