Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: MCL tear and PT

MCL tear and PT

To disable ads, please log-in.

Started PT on my right knee yesterday for the new MCL tear (it's the knee I've had five surgeries on already), the PT was excellent! He disabused me of the notion that I was NOT having a knee replacement in the future, he calmly pointed out that that assumption might be unreasonable given the degradation of the joint to date. In the past when I told the ortho doc I didn't want the surgery I'd get a shrug and "okay", nice to hear something a bit more definite based on the evidence.

We're working on strengthening the leg so that the time I've got before the surgery can be active time. He's a big fan of staying active so he wants me on an exercise bike (with no resistance for now) building up to 30 minutes, then we'll add resistance. And I got the okay to get back into the pool (gently).

I am sore today!

Electra Townie 7D

Good luck, Pax.

FWIW, when my mom had both knees done a few years ago, her ortho told her that it's better to have the TKA before you're completely immobilized. What he said is that people wait until they've become way deconditioned, which makes the rehab much harder and much less effective.

The surgery was hard on her, but she made a fast return and never regretted it for a minute.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Same thing this new PT said, "hit it from a position of strength, don't wait until you're housebound and weak".

Electra Townie 7D

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    Same thing this new PT said, "hit it from a position of strength, don't wait until you're housebound and weak".
    Same thing that knott says.They see patients who are really active, but have some pain and decide to just have it replaced. Others wait too long to have the surgery. Let it go too far and you can't do the pre and post surgery pt. I've got coworkers who had TKA but won't do the training or make the life style choices to keep active. It's not a magic bullet, you gotta do the work. You'll do fine.

What's his opinion on orthotics?

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/archi...p/t-20374.html
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Sorry you have to go through another surgery.

I remember prior to my ACL surgery (about 10 years ago) I was very active, but I kept a custom brace on for safety. I still then competed with my dogs in agility, still in-line skated, etc. Post-op was easier, but still painful. I remember how PT would "hurt" me and telling me it was normal as she needed to work on that post-op to avoid a stiff knee. But I was back on track within a few months. PT had said then, no matter who you are, an ACL reconstruction takes 6 months to heal and to take you back to where you were, or better. Whether you are just me or an athlete. Healing (inside) takes the same time. It's also how you see things before, during and after.

My knees will trouble me forever and I've learned to deal with this. I'm still in PT (was there last Tuesday), no more crutches, can walk on that leg but leg needs reinforcement in order for knee to perform better and safer. So now I have about 45 minutes per day of PT to do. And in no time, I will be back to harder training. For now, I just enjoy the little I'm allowed to do. In my case, I try to hard to avoid another surgery. Surgeon, then, had said this is the type of surgery you can't have too many times. So I am extremely careful.

Good luck and have fun working out until then!

Quote Originally Posted by Trek420 View Post
    Same thing that knott says.They see patients who are really active, but have some pain and decide to just have it replaced. Others wait too long to have the surgery. Let it go too far and you can't do the pre and post surgery pt. I've got coworkers who had TKA but won't do the training or make the life style choices to keep active. It's not a magic bullet, you gotta do the work. You'll do fine.

What's his opinion on orthotics?

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/archi...p/t-20374.html
    After he tested the leg for strength he stopped and just put me on a basic strength program, the leg is so weak it can't support my weight independently anymore. In two weeks (after I do all my exercises) he's going to reevaluate to see what's next.

One interesting thing... found out my left leg is .5 inches shorter than my right.

Electra Townie 7D

Wow, the exercises are so simple, leg raises with the quad isolated, side leg raises, quad sets, and hamstring stretches... and they kick my butt. I had no idea how weak my leg had become; explains why my left leg has been hurting so much, it's been doing a lot of extra work.

Electra Townie 7D

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    Wow, the exercises are so simple, leg raises with the quad isolated, side leg raises, quad sets, and hamstring stretches... and they kick my butt. I had no idea how weak my leg had become; explains why my left leg has been hurting so much, it's been doing a lot of extra work.
    Hang in there Pax, and am sorry to read that there is another surgery in your future. Hopefully it will be the last one! It does sound like your working with a good PT.

Thanks, Catrin. It's a process, but it sure is slower going than I'd like. I seem to recall this being much easier/faster when I was 25.

Electra Townie 7D

Had my follow up appointment, managed to straighten my leg to within three degrees of straight (from 12 degrees previously) and I'm a lot stronger!

He added in ankle weights and modified squats (body weight only, up and down from a chair).

Electra Townie 7D

That is good news.

Yay! Hope it's not too painful.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Very good news!

Oak - it hurt a lot at first, now it's just exercise. The only thing that still hurts a bit are the ones where I try to bend my knee a little further, there are structural changes in the joint that make that endeavor kinda miserable.

Electra Townie 7D

See Pax, because I have little cartilage left in knees and squatting the normal/safe way is causing too much pain, my PT told me to do them the way it does not hurt which is bending more forward. That way I can squat down almost to do a perfect chair. It still works my quads, etc. There is always a work around to help you.