Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Sometimes you can't win for...

To disable ads, please log-in.

Sometimes it feels like I can't win for losing, but that is life sometimes. There may not be a problem, but I've not experienced anything like this in all the years I've had shoulder troubles. Which is pretty much been since I was 12. My KB training session went fine last night...except for the one moment when I got a sharp pain in my left deltoid. Not the first time, that shoulder has, well, altered anatomy (my chiro's words), and that happens sometimes if I don't lock out properly at the top of the lift. I rested a couple of minutes and went back to it, no problem. This morning I rowed for 35 minutes (close to 6K meters). I didn't want to over do things because our Saturday KB workouts are always intense, but not shoulder pain rowing.

For most of the day, however, I've had twinges of pain in my shoulder that also causes numbness in my first two fingers at the same time. Sometimes aching in the shoulder, sometimes not. I can poke with my fingers and cause pain - again not bad but still... I also know that quite often pain that high up isn't in the arm but referred from other parts of the shoulder, like the rotator cuff. I've come SO far with THAT shoulder that it would indeed be ironic if I damaged it with such a light weight.

I honestly don't know what to think. I am getting ready to do a nice long session of gentle stretching and some mobility work. Crossing my fingers that nothing will cause pain. I've such a high threshold for pain that it is sometimes hard for me to use a pain scale - I remember when I was back to work a week after a major abdominal surgery - the old fashioned kind where they cut all the way across. My coach KNOWS me and has a lot of personal experience with this kind of thing as well - I will go tomorrow unless things get worse. He may not allow me to do anything, but it is so hard for me to tell sometimes if there is a real problem or not. There are disadvantages at having a high pain threshold...

Please send me good thoughts on this. Thankfully I see my Chiropractor (high level Sports & ART practitioner) on Tuesday afternoon for my usual monthly visit.

I hope it is "nothing much."

Sometimes we just move the wrong way and we get an owie. I went to Urgent Care Wed. night because my ribs were so painful. Turns out I have a "chest contusion", fancy words for a strained muscle. Probably from doing slams with the 30 lb ball on Saturday. BUT it was so much fun! I got a prescription for painkillers, so I can sleep at night. He give me enough to be them during the day too, but I'd rather not. The doc said I could do whatever exercise didn't hurt. It hurts to pick up my Tubby Tucker Cat though.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Hope you can pick up Tubby Tucker Cat soon, and your ribs feel better quickly!

I look at my shoulder this way. Injuries come with being active. Injuries of a different kind come from not being active. I will take the first...and it WAS fun :-)

Feel better soon, both of you. Catrin, sure hope it isn't a setback.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Be careful, Catrin. I am kind of like you, so I get it. I remember back in 2007 when my rheumatologist told me to "just ride 5 miles." No, that will not do. There's always modifications to be made, but the goal is to keep moving. Just be aware.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Thankfully my coach is just like me, or rather, since he is 13 years older than I, I am just like him. My Chiro/ART guy tells us both this (my coach sees him as well). And my coach has had to have shoulder surgery - after ignoring the injury for 5 years. While all competitive sports come with risk, and sometimes injuries happen no matter how wise you are, it still pays to train smart. Like he says, "do what I say, not what I do".

It is also true that I am driven and am, all in all, a very focused woman. Kettlebell sport lifting is made for the Type A personality, and it really helps to be a bit on the OCD side - and I qualify for both ;-) Even when my arthritis flares, and my cranky body parts bark - like my shoulder, I do not feel anywhere near my 55 years. I will take that

Now it is time to watch Grimm before heading to bed!

Hope it feels better soon and that it doesn't interfere with your lifting!
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I have learned the hard way to listen to what my body says. Not my current situation, that has nothing to do with being active, but in 2008 I had a year long bout of ITB tendonitis and petallar femoral syndrome that dragged on and on because I would not listen to my body. Rest and nip it. I think most of us that are active and push ourselves have a high pain tolerance, but sometimes you need to let the tweaks " untweak"

Feel better

I hope you feel better soon. I think a few of us are in the same boat as you are right now. ARgggg. We don't learn (or rather refuse to obey our bodies. Then we pay the note big time for a long time. Deuh! lol

Things went better than expected this morning, though my coach only allowed me to do general KB fitness work, no competitive specific lifting for more than a couple of repetitions. I will see how things go and what my chiro things, I may well take a full rest over Christmas week. Probably not a bad idea

Saw my "shoulder guy" today
    No torn biceps tendon....yayyy. I have, however, strained it a little. I can still train at a lower intensity level and no explosive overhead work. He and my coach talks so it isn't like I can avoid telling him

I am still amazed at the fast results I get from his ART work on my shoulders and that I don't have to stop working out to see those benefits.

I will likely still take a break over Christmas if I can keep myself busy with other things.

Glad you got this sorted out!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I am as well. It was also humbling to see just how little I could do without pain tonight...but he DID fire it up with ART, and also did some work releasing some nerve entrapment.