Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am chronic insomniac....so I feel for you. Good luck and have fun on skis this weekend.

My PT/kin just sent me my program for tomorrow. I've been back on my bike for just a few times and we did a test yesterday so she can plan some fun. Sure.... with the result she got, she just prepared this for me tomorrow. That is after my hour muscle training. I think I'll die. Hahaha

It may look easy. But once on bike and with already an hour of squats, lunges, abs and arms it is going to be brutal I think for me. Lol remember I have not had that much exercise since baker's cyst rupturing. But she knows I can nail it or part of it. It's all in your head they say. Hihi we'll see. Lol

10 min progressive warm up =
    5 min (10 sec with cadence over 100, then 50 sec at 80-90)
    5 min watt 120-130

Long intervals
    Repeat 6 times:
    2 min 160 watts small gear (hands in drop if ok for back)
    1 min 140 watts large gear
    30 sec push/pull cadence 60
    30 sec just cycling cadence 90

10 min 110-130 watts cool down
    cadence 80-90
    Last edited by Helene2013; 01-23-2015 at 05:14 PM.

I just purchased a Groupon to my favorite yoga studio. I've only been there about 3 times and quit going because they only had vinyasa, and I prefer hatha, but they've since added hatha classes. I'm really looking forward to it
    2014 Surly Straggler
    2012 Salsa Casseroll - STOLEN

It is good to see more of us checking in. I am still in Tennessee, and I did bring a kettlebell in case I had time and space to do some work. I rose early this morning with that in mind and started on my usual joint mobility work. Didn't feel good though, and my right bicep tendon barked a bit - since I hardly had room to do my mobility work I decided to call it good and stopped. I DID do a light kb workout Thursday morning before leaving, but it was far below my usual intensity. I will return tomorrow, weather permitting, and things will get back to normal.

Competition is two weeks from today, and my cranky shoulders and biceps are probably appreciating the break.

I can't post on the spreadsheet on my phone, but we skied about 3 hours today.
    Conditions were better than I expected, but even when we were pretty high up, there were tricky patches of ice. I am hurting. My waist pack was killing my hip before lunch. DH fixed it, but when we were done, I could barely move. I am so stiff, lower back, hip, one hamstring. I stretched, took a jacuzzi, and now, lying on heating pad. Quite concerned about my trip next month. I will get some pt and pray that I am not falling apart! My groin hurts, too.
    We did some tough climbing.
    Last edited by Crankin; 01-24-2015 at 05:38 PM.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

The training I had posted just above was sooooo hard. I thought I'd die. My HR was just past the peaking point, my legs were sore, my knees started to "burn". Hubby did the same training on his trainer to encourage me. But he did it with higher watts as he is stronger (better shape) than me. He found it too hard too. He told me to slow down. Forget reaching the 160w for now. It is only my 3rd real training day on bike since knee injury this past November.

I just could not see myself "fail" that training. But I did in a way. I was able to keep most of the 160w for 2 minutes. But I flunked in the 4th of 6 - only that one. And in the "recup" for a minute at 140w I just could not keep it up enough.

Anyway, it was not a training I enjoyed at all. I had to slow down towards the end of the 5th cycle as I felt some "heat" in the chest. That was enough. But I gave all I had for the 6th one as I knew it was cool down after. My heart rate kept almost to 169 all 52 minutes of training. It pushed to 172 at the highest. My norm is around at 153 when I work hard.

Told my trainer that this is just too much. I'm not there yet. I was sore all evening, chest was still hurting (not a danger one but one I did not feel comfy with). I had a bad night because of the leg "pain". I felt like some "buzzing" all night in those legs. haha

I have to say we are also into kitchen remodeling (we are making our own wood counter from scratch) so there were a lot of stairs to get stuff, etc. It did not help that I have been on the move most of the day prior to training.

This morning I am better but trust me, I won't do much but work on that counter and no stairs. haha

So, woke up in the middle of the night, feeling really sore, but now it is not so bad. We toyed with the idea of driving right home after breakfast, but the 4 of us decided to head south and ski the morning at Waterville Valley and then head home after lunch. A big blizzard is coming tomorrow night and we have to snow blow from the storm yesterday and grocery shop.
    Even my ribs feel sore, but we will take it easier today, especially knowing there's going to be a lot of snow around before we go on our trip.
    ETA: We got to Waterville Valley and hardly any trails were open, so DH and I went home. We had driven separately from our friends, which was unusual, but DH was eager to get the snow blowing done.
    I feel kinda weird. I am praying it's nothing and not the flu or other horrible sh*t.
    Last edited by Crankin; 01-25-2015 at 12:52 PM.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Hope you feel better tomorrow Crankin!

I came home today from my unexpected trip to TN for a family funeral. I didn't have a chance/or really the desire to exercise while I was down there so I didn't. As soon as I got home that changed however, after dinner I hit kettlebell herd's cave (the back room) and did a MODERATE workout to get back into the swing of things. I still have one more day off so am planning to hit the gym tomorrow for a cardio workout. It seems strange to do my competition KB training in one gym, and go to another for everything else but that works the best for me. I don't have to pay membership fees where I KB train, so I am not paying double.

You are lucky you are not paying double! I've recently found out that a lot of the people I go to my classes with belong to one or more gyms and/or take classes on a pay as you go basis elsewhere. Of course, they are not spending what i do on cycling and x country ski related gear, even if they have a bike!
    My friend emailed me with our ski totals from Saturday...14 km. Probably one of my longest skis and I should not have done as much, although it did not seem like it was that far.
    I am hoping what I am feeling is just weird muscle soreness, as I have been known to have strange muscular reactions to heavy exercise. It's never happened from skiing, though, but I definitely did too much. Glad we didn't ski today. Our friends ended up staying and doing about an hour and a half, but I was all unpacked and done with my grocery shopping (we're in that "we're gonna die in a snowstorm" panic around here right now) before they got home.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I tried to give up NIFS and use my other gym for everything, but I just don't care for the other place. Nothing against it, the owner just has a very different business model and it doesn't work for me. It is, however, the easiest place for me to hit my KB training that has the least impact on my work schedule so I split it up. I DID experiment for a few months, am thankful I don't have to have two memberships.

Take care, perhaps an Epsom Salt bath might help? Glad you got home in time to do what you need to do and relax! NOW, I finally get to have a little rum and water on the rocks and watch the nail-biting GRIM episode from Friday night. Thank goodness for Hulu!

I figured I would check in.. :-) Took a much needed day off from work on Friday and did some Nordic/backcountry skiing for about 4 hours. It was so nice and quiet out. On Saturday my focus was upper body with body weight exercises and weights in the basement. I am not a member of a gym but I am able to get in a pretty good workout. Today I went for a 3 mile run (have not run in about 2 months and could tell), then spent 6 hours tearing up old flooring to get it ready to tile. After a little rest break I hit the basement again for some leg/lower body workout and core training.

I started feeling better later in the evening. Woke up at 4:00 and made the decision *not* to go to boot camp, though. I still feel "off," but so does DH and it's not the skiing. Most of my muscles are fine, now, just my usual lower back and right hip. My stomach is a bit weird and I'm itchy, which means some kind of allergy reaction, probably to all the eating I did up in NH!
    I did do a little warm up on the treadmill and then a 15 minute core workout on the ball in my home gym. There's going to be a lot of snow sports over the next month, with the amount of snow we are expecting. I may take the whole week off from the gym, and concentrate on being outside. I can do some weight and core stuff at home. My weight is up 3 lbs. from the trip, and I feel very flabby. Time to tighten up a little, although this kinds of things usually resolve themselves in a couple of days.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Enjoy yourself Crankin, have fun with your outdoor activities! Glad that you are feeling better.

I did swing by the gym this afternoon and did some intervals with the rowing machine and a 20kg kettlebell. My coach was there so checked with him first to make certain that I don't over-do things. 12 days and counting

I did a 45 minute session on the trainer; speed drills at a high cadence in an easy gear and then did some stretching for 15 minutes. The snow has died down, but still going. I didn't volunteer to help DH with the snow blowing; usually I will shovel around the edge of the driveway, where he can't get to. My upper body is just feeling better from skiing! We will have more celan up to do later, so I may go outside for that. Tomorrow will be snow shoeing, and I plan to go to the local x country center after work on Thursday.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

It has been nice and warm here in CO so yesterday I went for an hour long walk then did about 20 min of core work on my therapy ball and Bosu ball. Today I did a short 30 min walk then did 6 30 second sprints then a 10 min jog back home. I may do some weights later tonight

This morning I did a short warm up on the TM, all my PT stretches, and then the functional training DVD from my Cycle-Core training program, followed by the flexibility portion of the program, for about 35 minutes. After lunch, I went snow shoeing with my friend, at some conservation land in Acton. THe snow was deep and it was slow going on the way out, although there was some sort of path from others who had walked there. It was hard to read the trail markers, so we did an out and back, walking to a pond and back to the start. It was a half a mile walk to the trail from her house and back, but I have no idea how far we snow shoed on the trail. I do know it was about an hour and a half. My friend is slower than me, but the deepness of the snow added some challenge, and I led on the way back. It was beautiful and fun.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura