Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

We don't usually do partner exercises, so no, not someone that knows me well. However, she did notice that my legs were going down to the left and asked if I was a lefty. So, she was astute enough to recognize something was off. She's a tri-athlete, who seems to be recovering from injury, as she modifies a lot of stuff that she didn't before. So, after I gave her a list of having "uneven" sides and a lumbar issue, she got it and I modified!
    Hope your greeting duty goes well. We are going to our neighbors for a drink in about an hour and then for our "Jewish Christmas," aka Chinese food at 7:30. Will ride a short ride tomorrow before we go to dinner at our close friends at 3.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

It sounds like you had a nice evening planned Crankin, hope you had fun!

This morning I hit the gym for some cardio work - no kettlebells allowed today as I've KB training tomorrow. I've an unstable patella so it can be a problem finding the right thing that gives my body what it needs without overly-tweaking my knee. I am not rowing right now so my shoulders can finish healing, we think it was likely the combination of rowing for volume PLUS my competition training that sent my bicep tendon and rotator cuff over the edge. All is feeling better, I did some light work last night with the kettlebell jerk, it felt fine

My coach was working the floor, so we had an impromptu session where we figured out which of the available machines (that he considers worth using) would work with my little knee problem. We came up with a few that seems to work, and settled on a approach where I would move between different types of machines every 10 minutes or so to prevent over-use problems. The shorter the set per machine, the less of a chance that I turn it into a competition. It really doesn't matter that it is only me competing with me, it is just something that I am prone to do. So I moved between the ArcTrainer/Octane/Rope machine and the non-motorized treadmill.
    Last edited by Catrin; 12-26-2014 at 12:21 PM.

I rode 17 miles yesterday and 24.5 today. It was gusty, but 50 degrees yesterday. I did not think it would be so windy today, and we were heading into it for at least half the ride. DH was not feeling it, so our speed was exceedingly slow, even for us! However, we did pick it up near the end, before we got to our lunch stop, which is about 3 miles from home. Today was cooler out, but I've been dressed appropriately 2 days in a row, which is a miracle at this time of year.
    Trying not to wimp out for tomorrow's club ride. We did it on Labor Day and DH had labeled it something "40 miles of hell and Nagog Hill." Thing is, once that hill is done, it's mostly flat or rolling. I also did the ride another time and I almost turned around, but it was because I was with a group of fast guys, who eventually went off on their own and then it was fine. We will not ride with the group, most likely, but be there at the start and let them go off, and then we will go.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Usual KB training this morning, and I was allowed to try the three basic kettlebell sport lifts (Jerk, Snatch, Long Cycle). Things went fine! It was rather a long workout, they call it the "Calorie Burner" for good reason, but I went a bit slower than normal and really focused on how my biceps and shoulders felt. All was fine. I did end the last set 10 seconds early as one shoulder was starting to tighten and I called it good. I think things will be fine for my Feb 7 competition as long as I listen and don't re-injure. Part of me wants to do more work tomorrow after church, but since I've special KB training sessions already scheduled for both Monday and Tuesday I don't think I will. If I DO go tomorrow, then it will simply be all about mimicking a hamster on the ArcTrainer! No arm involvement at all.

Just got back from an almost 36 mile ride, with lots of climbing. Again, we went exceedingly slow, but got it done. All I can say is I know colder weather slows you down, but this was nuts. Honestly, I am just glad I am out there. The past few days is the most riding I've done in a row, since I got back from Portugal.
    Kind of want to rest or go on a hike tomorrow, if it doesn't rain, but now i only have 17 miles left to get to 2,700 miles. And, I also want to go to the art museum. I am becoming too one dimensional...
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Just got back from an almost 36 mile ride, with lots of climbing. Again, we went exceedingly slow, but got it done. All I can say is I know colder weather slows you down, but this was nuts. Honestly, I am just glad I am out there. The past few days is the most riding I've done in a row, since I got back from Portugal.
    Kind of want to rest or go on a hike tomorrow, if it doesn't rain, but now i only have 17 miles left to get to 2,700 miles. And, I also want to go to the art museum. I am becoming too one dimensional...
    You are a better woman than me, as I recall I got more and more of a temperature weenie as the winter progressed. Whatever you decide, have fun tomorrow! The art museum is a good idea, I might have to do that tomorrow as well, thanks for the idea!

Well, I decided to go with my gut and take a complete rest day today (except for my daily back stretches). There was about a 2 hour window between 11 and 1 where the rain had stopped and the wind had not started, but we zipped into town and saw the Goya exhibit at the MFA. Then of course, it was lunch time, so we stopped on the way home, in my hometown, and had very healthy salads at a pub. I was pretty wiped out from yesterday's ride, and we went out for Italian food at my favorite very authentic restaurant in the North End last night, so I slept for 9 hours and I feel pretty good today. I, too, am learning not to overdo it. I will go to bootcamp tomorrow before work and then decide if I will do spin or not on Tuesday. On Wednesday, I am going to my club's New Year's event. There is a 30 mile ride and a hike before the lunch party. It's going to be about 25 degrees at ride time. Don't know if I can do that. I have the gear, let's see if I can challenge myself. My issue with hiking with this group, is that they walk kind of slowly for me to feel like it's a work out.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Since I've workout plans for the next 3 days, I took the day off today and went to the Indianapolis Museum of Art. It was fun and I visited the modernist gallery for the first time. Shoulders seem fine after yesterday's competition workout.

Have fun whatever you decide to do this week! Riding at 25 doesn't sound like fun but I don't care for cold weather riding.

Boot camp was different yesterday... she had us turn our steps vertically and jump over them, side to side. And then, jumping forward over the step.
    I can't do this. I mean, I can jump that high and far, but there is definitely something wrong with my midline/position in space that affects my perception and i just feel like I can't. So, I jumped over, with one foot up on the step as leverage, which makes me feel balanced. I still got a work out.
    I am being good, did half an hour of power yoga at home this morning, because I know if I went to spin, I would not be in good shape to ride tomorrow. Still not sure if I will actually ride, but I will do the hike if I don't ride.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I would trip and fall if I were to do that, myself

Yesterday I hit one of my coach's other classes at another gym because I had the time - it wasn't competition based but that wasn't what I was needing yesterday. Did some good cardio/endurance work revolving around heavy swings and an ArcTrainer. Tonight was my usual Tuesday evening group session and I did 2 sets of 10 minutes of Long Cycle, switching hands every minute. My shoulders felt/feel great! That is a VERY different from switching every 5 minutes, which is what happens at competition, but it is a good indication that my shoulders appear to be recovered :-)

Rest day tomorrow, will probably do a swing workout at home on Thursday, ArcTrainer session on Friday, back to competition training on Saturday. It depends on how my body feels Thursday, I might take two rest days in a row, time will tell.

OK, last night we laid out all of our bike clothes, chemical heaters, and all other gear one needs for riding in temperatures of around 25. I kind of knew I wouldn't actually do it, but...
    DH went out to see if he could fit both of our bikes in the back of his SUV without putting the rack on this morning and we kind of lost our will. It was 17 at the time, predicted to be 24 at ride start. We both felt better making the decision to hike. Five people actually rode and 11 of us hiked, about 5.5 miles. Nothing hard, and I was cold, even hiking. I think I needed a different mid layer and definitely did not have the right stuff on my hands. But, I felt like I got a good work out. Got back and had a very small piece of veggie lasagna and some hot cider. The cyclists were just getting back when we were leaving. It seemed like a very long time for 30 miles, but perhaps they stopped. I made the right decision.
    However, I will admit only here that we bought some battery heated cycling gloves last night. I've been watching the sales and the price, while crazy, was considerably less (almost half off) that unusual. I was really worried about my hands in the cold, because riding with thicker gloves or lobster gloves impairs my ability to shift. Now I will have no excuse, because I am reasonably happy in the cold with all the other parts of my body.
    Happy New Year, Catrin!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

The hike sounds like it was a lot more fun in those temps anyway, heated gloves or not! I wonder what slowed down the riders? Perhaps a hot cup of coffee was part of the ride

Rest day today, though I am tempted to play with some of my kettlebells at home. Still in healing mode though, competition is Feb 7 and I don't need to risk re-injuring at this date. I've plans the next 3-4 days in a row so I need to be smart. If you can believe that I am actually listening to my body and thinking ahead...it is about time!

Went for a hike in the Delaney Reservation, in Stow, MA. It's a public land trust for water management/wildlife reservation, about 2.5 miles from my old house. This is where I made my first sorry attempts at mountain biking! Also done a little paddling and x country skiing here. Not a long hike, about 3 miles, but we had a brisk pace, so it felt like a work out. A beautiful day and less windy in the woods. I will now go and do some core work. Definitely will not be getting up for boot camp tomorrow, but may hit some other class, or even ride if it's just a bit warmer.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I slept until 8:30 this morning, after going out to our favorite secret pub last night, to celebrate my son getting a new job, that comes with a big promotion. I love this place, but I really can't go there more than 4-5 times a year! Had fish tacos and one beer, and awoke this morning kind of allergy like and stiff from the hiking of the past 2 days. So, I went to a good gentle type yoga class (with the exception of the crowded room), came home, ate lunch and then just did a 3 mile very brisk walk on the road with DH. Feeling much better. A little lost without snow to round out my fitness schedule in the winter, but I have no control over that.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Had a nice 40 minute cardio session at the gym today. Did kettlebells yesterday and have comp training tomorrow so I had to do something different today. My coach strongly suggests I don't stay more than 10 minutes on the same machine - that keeps me from turning it into an internal competition He IS right - and he is prone to doing the same thing himself so it is easier to take the restriction from him. The competition is 5 weeks from tomorrow :-)