Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

To disable ads, please log-in.

I finally got my bone density test result.

All is good in general

My spine has just some light facet joint arthritis and alignment is normal.

Lumbar rachis density is normal
    My femoral neck (hips) is at -1.5 which is light osteopenia with very light risk of fracture. - so nothing to worry about just yet.
    For the whole body xray is it at .7 which is a normal value
    So conclusion says very light osteopenia center at the femoral neck. And very weak risk of fracture.

MY PT saw the report and she said it is nothing to worry about. We'll keep exercising and eating as well as we can.

Now, as for my gym this past week, it was totally scrapped. I did nothing intelligent with my body! haha

The return to work after the 2 weeks' was so hard. Getting up at 4:15am is a killer. And it was a deep cold in Montreal (with -38c windchill) nothing is better than a fire place and crash in bed at 8:30pm. Hubby was sick with some hard cold (no flu - just a strong fast arriving - fast gone cold).

Seeing my PT Tuesday night and we'll get the gym plan in order. She said a lot of her patients this week did nothing much with their bodies. hahaha So I felt not so alone in the situation.

Thinking it was better, I wore my heels at work on Monday and Tuesday. I noticed the pain coming back so I had to remove them. Back to flat shoes for some while. It will get better but it is taking so long it is discouraging. Night knee pain and hot flashes is a great combo for little sleep-nights!

PT told me last night to just ride my bike (trainer) this weekend for the fun. No training, no speed, no intervalls. Just spin. She's thinking my body only needs to find some regularity into training and it will start next week with a real program and goals to achieve. Much easier to stay on the right track with a plan.

So more to continue next week.

At least the bones are good. The knees are in much better shape and PT will look into building me a new winter program with a goal of a 110km ride this coming June.

Sounds like things are coming together. At least it's not the middle of the season and you're lying around, recovering! Appreciate the down time and rest as much as you can.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I like your PT's advice. And getting back to work is part of the recovery, so you're making good progress. Slow and steady is often the best way.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Sounds like relatively decent news and I agree your PT has a good suggestion, ease back into it.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Sounds good, and it IS very good to have an idea what is going on. Keep on doing good work!

Thank you.

Funny today we went to the bike shop as my husband had issues with his bike chain that kept skipping on/off when he was changing gears. Not good on a $6000 bike he got last Spring. They had changed the gear (or cog - whatever is the name of that thing) just in early November as hubby found it hard with certain gears. He was like stock in-between too easy climb and not able to do it. Anyway, it ended up being that his chain needed to be changed for a new one as the current one has already over 2000km on it. He's training now and he says it is working fine. Happy hubby on bike makes a happy wife. hihi

Back to bike shop...the bike fitter I was talking to while waiting for the bike to be fixed (as he was asking if I do my trainer) told me his ex-girlfriend had a ruptured baker's cyst too. Happened while they were trekking in the winter and they were a day and a half from main road. She was climbing a steep hill when all of a sudden they heard a crack in her knee. Like a tree branch you'd snap in 2. She said she was not feeling any pain. But he decided to come back down instead of moving more up. They set up their tent and during the night, the unberable pain and leg swelling started for her. They had no clue what had happened as she did not have warnings before (just like me!). He had a compass and knew the area so he used the compass taking a shorter route, but harder one due to trail challenges. He carried her on his back as she could not put weight on the leg, all the way down the mountain until they were able to flag for paramedics to help her. He said she mentioned it was the most pain she had to endure in her life. I sooo believe her.

Everyone tells me that when the cyst ruptures, you generally hear a snap and it is loud. I never heard that popping noise. But it could have happened while I was doing something (either on bike or treadmill) and the music being so loud I never heard it. And since you do not feel pain nor hot liquid moving around you don't know. But trust me you do know a few hours/day later when the swelling starts. You cry and panic! hihi

But now it seems I'm back on track and it will take a while to get all my parts working together but we'll get there. hihi And if I see by end of winter that my knees are still troubling me, I will ask my doctor to get some synvisc again. It was over 10 years ago when it was done last. I never really felt the need for that but now it is time I think. That and trying to lose more weight by then. 10 pounds makes a lot of difference when you are having such issues.

I'm so lucky to have such a good PT and the fact she is also a kineologist, and a tri-athlete. She had knee surgery and a foot stress fracture. So she can feel your pain when you are unable to practice sports or activities as much as you'd like. She is also an excellent listener and motivator. It makes a difference between moving on or crying in a ball in your bed. haha

And to say some people find every possible way to avoid working or exercising. And me, I fight my body all the time to get up and go to work, and exercise. haha

Today I just could not find the energy to move. I did all my errands and house cleaning and cooking that was needed. Tomorrow is a day for walking my dogs and get the much needed fresh air now that the cold front is gone and get back on the bike (just a little spin on trainer).

Went to my PT/Kin on Tuesday night. I have her "Go" to start training again. She will build me a gradual one to start smoothly. It's unbelievable how much you lose by just stopping (or really limiting) physical activities. My cardio is the worst. Oh...the muscle aches too. hihi

I will have some gradual bike trainer program, but mostly it will be working on the muscle mass (lower body to regain strength and keep building strong cores) and work on getting my overpronation (feet) to be refocused properly (through hips/knee work out). It is not easy as it changes your walking/standing pattern and your brain has to think all the time. But this will help realign pelvis and knee.

Overall it was a good visit. I still hurt in the knee. She wanted to see how I climb/down stairs as I said I hurt when I go down the stairs. So we practiced this (hip/foot moves) to avoid stress on knee and she saw the swelling start (a small lump on upper outer side of knee). It went away as soon as I was relaxed in the evening.

So not out of the woods, but the program will help me gradually back to sports and hoping for no re-injury. I will still think of those synvisc injection if by end of winter the knees are still bothering me. So much I can do by myself and I'd want to avoid a knee surgery down the road. One was enough.lol

As long as you're doing foot/hip work ... hope you don't mind my once again HIGHLY recommending this 60 minute routine: https://www.yogaglo.com/class/3866

It's a subscription site ($18/month) but you can get a 30 day free trial and do the class as many times as you want until you have it memorized and then decide whether you want to cancel or continue. Your PT might want to check it out.

Good luck with the return to action!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Thank you OakLeaf. I will certainly look at that site and will slip a word to my PT as well.

That DOES look interesting, and I also have hip issues. Well, apparently right now if I have a joint my body finds a problem with it

My 1st planned session is done. I had some bike (32 minutes - intervals), some treadmill (15 minutes - flat and no running) and my squats.

Very happy that I did not feel any pain and all body parts did not complain. hihi

Tomorrow I have my muscular training and if weather can be nice we are due to take a long walk with the dogs. It is so deep freezing cold lately that they can't even go outside but for a quick pee and even then their paws are up. Tomorrow should be good, and even rain! Go figure. Weather is just so confused. haha

Glad it went well, hope you just keep getting stronger from now on.

Electra Townie 7D