Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Ms. Silque has arrived

To disable ads, please log-in.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Silque (1).jpg 
Views:	339 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	17457

First ride will be tomorrow. Luckily, it will be a balmy 50-55 degrees.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Snazzy! May you have many happy miles together Can't wait for the ride report!
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Beautiful! Enjoy!
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Nice! Happy riding!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Ooooooo spiffy!

Electra Townie 7D

Enjoy your new beauty. She looks very sleek and comfy.

No, I did not name it. It's a Silque, so I just put the Ms. before the name. I will conveniently call it "my bike," or "the Trek" as opposed to "the Guru." Don't worry, I will never name a bike.
    Only downside is that since I have to have side entry bottle cages because of the small geometry, and I need the left entry ones, due to my lack of ability to drink with my right hand, I only have the back bottle cage on the bike. They had to order the other one, as I didn't tell them this when I ordered the bike. So today's ride will include a lot of stopping to drink. I could wear my Camelback, but DH said he doesn't mind stopping for me to drink. The other cage won't be here for about 10 days.
    I'm signed up to my club's annual day before Thanksgiving ride (have to sign up due to the catered meal after the ride), so I probably will use the Camelbak for that. Thankfully, this group is full of Freds and Freddettes, so no one will scorn me.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Yeah, I've heard the term Wilmas.
    It's not so much carrying water; I have some small bottles from my running belt that I could carry. It's more being able to access while riding. Since I am already challenged in this department, the Camelbak is my option, until the cage arrives.
    Today will be fine, as DH and I stop way more than most, anyway. And I think the ride Wednesday is a moot point, as there is now a 75% chance of snow at 10 AM. We'll still have the party, though.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Oh my. She is gorgeous. Wishing you thousands of happy miles together.

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    Looks nice--enjoy!
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Congrats! Looking forward to this evening's ride report

She is beautiful, can hardly wait to hear how the ride wen!

Got back from the maiden voyage about 45 minutes ago.
    We intended to do some hills in Harvard, eat lunch at the General Store, and return home. But, we had made like 5 stops in the first 5 miles, so we altered our plan and ended up riding maybe 5 miles less than we would have. No big hills, but some small ones, all around Acton, Boxborough,, back into west Concord, where we ate lunch and then rode the 6 miles home. First, our stops were to shed or change our our gloves, head coverings, etc. Then, the back gears had to be slightly adjusted. Then, I wanted my saddle raised a teeny hair, like half a mm.
    The verdict is: This is the first road bike I've had that fits me. Sad that it took 14 years, but true. Some of it is change in technology and the way they build bikes now. The pain in my shoulder is gone. My hip doesn't hurt right now, either. Of course, other things I do annoy it, but if I can have one less thing that does, it's good. The Oura saddle (one in my size miraculously appeared in the shop yesterday) was great on the soft tissue, no pain at all. I did feel my sit bones, which the fitter warned me about. Not terrible, but by the end of the ride, I was noticing it more and more. He said it would take some getting used to. The ride is smooth, just like, well, silk.
    The biggest thing I had to pay attention to is shifting. I have the same gearing (well one more lower gear) on my Guru and except for commuting, I don't ride it much on local roads, except for when I am going to do really hard climbs. But this past summer, I made myself ride the bike with fewer low gears, to prepare for my trip. Hence, I just have to remind myself I will be in the small ring of the compact a lot more than the granny gear of the triple. There's just more shifting involved, overall. I remember having trouble finding my sweet spot, when I got the Guru, but I didn't feel like that today. Just sort of playing with what felt good. My average was really, really slow today, with all the experimentation, stopping, etc.
    Overall, I am thrilled. And, what's sad is, that this bike cost less than either the Kuota or the Guru. Very glad engineering has caught up with the needs of petite riders.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Great looking bike! The geometry looks very comfortable. Did you have to play around with it much to get it to fit right?
    2007 Trek 7.2 FX
    2015 Felt F85X with Specialized Oura seat, Specialized Road Pro II handlebars, and Look Quartz pedals

Pretty much, except that the stem/bars are more specific to me. And, of course, the components are 1-2 steps up and it has the inserts. But the geometry feel is the same. I think the wheel base might even be a bit longer. This bike does not feel sluggish at all to me. I pushed it on a small hill near our lunch stop, where, on a good day I am going 11-12. Today I was going 14. So, I can accelerate if need be. But, don't worry, because basically, I am a lazy rider, unless someone gets me mad!
    *I* did not play around with the fit; I had an extensive 2+ hour fitting on the Guru fit machine, plus another 1/2 hour of anatomical measurements before ordering. The bike is a Project One Trek, which means you can customize certain things. And even yesterday, when I went back for the last extra fit for the bars and saddle on the actual bike, I had 3 guys (2 fitters and a sales rep) plus my DH watching me on the trainer and making minute adjustments. I laughed and told them that this is the way it should be, 4 men standing around just asking me what I want...
    Seriously, this time, I knew exactly what I wanted and needed. But, I don't have the time, mechanical skill, or patience to do this myself. After I did the initial research and found a newer Trek model with the same geometry that the bike Irented had, it was in the fitter's hands. And both of them listened. Maybe because now I have the knowledge I didn't have 10 years ago, but I was treated perfectly.
    Last edited by Crankin; 11-23-2014 at 01:19 PM.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura