Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Congratulations, sounds wonderful, and like my experience with the Gunnar. So glad it was so positive!

Nope, I did not end up with the zero offset seat post. I can't remember what they did, but it feels fine.
    When we were riding home, I felt like riding by and showing the "other" LBS my new purchase, but it was really just a mean impulse. I might need them for something in the future.
    However, I will be taking my Guru in to the new LBS and see if they can approximate the same geometry with bars on the Guru with a change of stem and position.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Yay!!

What was the issue with the brifters, they're not selling the 11-speed short reach shifters in the USA at all?

Did it come with 165 mm cranks, or did you have to swap those out?

You're making me want to test ride one ...
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

They basically stopped making the R700 short reach brifters sometime in the last 3 years. Because of my new position and my short and shallow bars, I can reach the brakes OK. It is not as good as with the short reach ones, but if I am in the curve of the drops, I can reach them.
    I ordered it with 165s (this was one of the customized parts of the Project One). They thought it would take much longer to get here, as apparently there is a shortage of 165 cranks.
    DH is going to get shorter cranks on his next bike, too.
    You should test one, Oak. I can't believe how different this bike is from my Trek 5200, which I bought in 2004. That was a great WSD bike for that time, but times have changed.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Yeah, I just saw the newer Ultegra levers have a screw adjuster for reach. Don't know why they didn't do that a long time ago.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I mean fitting. Its so slow typing in my phone that I get muddled up lol
    Last edited by Bones8; 11-25-2014 at 03:37 AM.
    2007 Trek 7.2 FX
    2015 Felt F85X with Specialized Oura seat, Specialized Road Pro II handlebars, and Look Quartz pedals

Quote Originally Posted by Bones8 View Post
    Wow! That sounds like an amazing bike riding experience. I may have to look into that in a few years.
    I'm thinking of a trip to Boston...

To ride?? Or are you talking about the fitting? There are Guru certified fitters in a lot of places. But, it's more the way they listened to me. That, I am afraid you have to ask around and get recommendations. The shop I went to knows me, because 12 years ago my son worked there, when he was in high school. I've bought a minimal amount of stuff there, but over the years, I've kept the relationship up. I always thought they were weird, but when my closest friend had a fitting there last winter and said they really listened to him, my mind was set. The other shop I bought my custom Guru and my Kuota from is way more race oriented and they have a rep for being snobby. They patronized me because one of their woman employees found out/read some not so nice comments I wrote about them here on TE. They figured out that everytime I went in there, I knew most of the other customers. And, I lead rides. I belong to 2 clubs, and I know people in the racing community, too, from when my son raced. I have a big mouth and they knew I would use it. So, when the original Kuota frame they sold me was way too big, they exchanged it for a smaller one, almost a year later, with no cost. The place I bought the Silque is more of an all around shop. They do a lot of community work, sell high end and regular people bikes, lots of commuter stuff, and (a plus for me) cross country skis, too. Every high school kid who loves cycling gets hired there; they were wonderful to my son.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Congratulations on Ms. Silque!
    I went back and forth between a Silque and a Domane 4.7 - Ended up with the Domane because it was there in the shop and I could ride it; was afraid to order a bike I had never ridden, and no LBS's had a 56cm Silque in stock.
    Wishing you many happy miles.
    Oh, and the Domane feels like riding silk - no pun intended.

Oops I meant fitting not riding
    2007 Trek 7.2 FX
    2015 Felt F85X with Specialized Oura seat, Specialized Road Pro II handlebars, and Look Quartz pedals

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    To ride?? Or are you talking about the fitting?
    Oh I don't know. I love Boston (as a city - not a bike destination) and I love New England in general. I used to live on Cape Cod and have been considering relocating back to Mass, somewhere. But specifically I meant it sounds like you have a nice shop there. The shop where I bought my Dolce does fittings on this big contraption thing that you ride on for an hour or two. Or three. They no longer sell Specialized and seem to be almost anti-Specialized now - they went from gung-ho enthusiasm to very negative. I want to take my Dolce in there, but not with their current attitude. Basically, I'd love to find someone who will listen to me, and understand my concerns, and not just give me some generic answer.

What part of Cape Cod did you live in? I was stationed in Woods Hole (Coast Guard) for a few years. Prior to that I was in Newport, RI.
    2007 Trek 7.2 FX

Mid Cape. I had three addresses in 2 1/2 years. I worked at the Hyannis airport and so had some dealings with the Coast Guard. After a couple of Nor'Easters I really developed a lot of respect for those crews. It was nice riding my bike to work

I spent every summer of my first 18 years in West Yarmouth. This was even after I moved away from MA. Then, when I moved back here, I did the same thing with my own kids, until they were in middle school.
    I only go to the Cape in off season now, although I didn't go for the past 2 years; it's not really conducive for riding in the summer. I now love the Berkshires!
    Come visit!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I still have a friend in Eastham. I visited in September and will hopefully go again next year. I was thinking if I ever moved back, I would stay there in the off-season, and rent out my house in the summer. I would spend my summers elsewhere in New England, or upstate NY.

When I worked in Hyannis it was faster to ride my bike to work in the summer than to drive.