Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Have you seen my mojo?

To disable ads, please log-in.

It's prime riding season down here (since it's not 8 million degrees in the shade anymore), and I don't care. I miss riding my bike, but I don't want to, if that makes any sense. I haven't really ridden my bike in ages (piriformis)--they're really expensive wall art right now and covered in a layer of dust. I've tried finding other replacements for riding (namely, running), but that hasn't gone anywhere either (piriformis again, and I don't find it fun). Then of course I feel guilty for not riding by bike and for not exercising and for not wanting to exercise either.

Anyone got any tips for getting out of a funk like this?

I did put the rear wheel back on the Iguana and adjust its brakes, so there's that.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

My advice is to go with it, don't chastise yourself, and try new things. I am sort of going through this now, although I've been able to force myself both on the bike for short rides and to do other stuff. However, in the past, when I've been in the "want to" but then once I get on the bike, I just complain and want to be done (usually because of injury) phase, I do short, utility or destination rides. I spent one whole summer mostly riding to farm stands, errands, appointments, with a few regular rides thrown in. Your body is telling you it's time to rest; are you getting any PT?
    Could you get to a yoga class on a regular basis? Do some hiking? I know U of A has a good fitness center, etc. You still have a few months until the evil heat starts up again.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

What Crankin said. Maybe try getting into the pool, knocking out laps if you're not a swimmer might make your bike seem pretty appealing.

Electra Townie 7D

How about just really easy spin for 5 minutes on a trainer? That may calm your guit feeling and not be too painful. And if its only on one side then just do one foot pedaling and let the painful one just hang there.

As for mojo? I usually see mojo's heading for the nearest dark cave for most people. Takes bit of coaxing to get them to come out. Ya know. see its own shadow and gets scared.

don't beat yourself up. It happens to all of us at some point. There were times when I was in tears to go to my ski training.

You could plan a short ride, and see how you feel once you get out there.

I often do not feel like going for a ride, but I go anyway because my friends are there, and after 15-20 minutes the fog lifts from my brain and I'm quite happy. I just need to push through the inertia to started.

Or you could just go for a nice walk. Sometimes that's all I really feel like doing.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Do something different, if you don't feel like riding then forcing yourself won't be fun, I do like smiling cat's idea of trying a few minutes on a trainer or spin bike and see how that feels. My piriformis gets cranky as well, and I've found two things outside of kettlebell lifting or swings that doesn't seem to bother it. Rowing machine and step mill/stair climbing. Hiking is good as well, since your weather is nicer than here this time of the year.

Do you have someone local that you can schedule a short ride with? It might be easier if you aren't alone. I know when I had mojo riding problems I couldn't even talk myself to even touch it so I know right where you are. Hang in there and use this opportunity to explore new things.

I think my mojo is currently in the Caribbean, soaking up some sun - while I am where it is unseasonably cold (though no where near as bad as it could be). Maybe yours is with it?

I second what others have said - take the pressure of yourself. See if you can find something fun. Maybe try hiking or swimming, as other suggested? Seriously, though - be kind to yourself. Grad school isn't without stress - take care of yourself, including your injuries!
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

It's hard not feel guilty about not riding, but I'm doing other things. My MO is to get almost good at "thing", then quit and learn "new thing" to the point of almost good. I can only imagine the new things in my future I shall be mediocre at.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

Oh, Redrhodie,
    I echo the wisdom of others - let it be. I stepped away from cycling for about 15 years and as soon as I got back into it, I wondered why in the heck I could have stayed away so long. I hope this is not the path you go down, but if you're not having fun it's time for a break. Friends help a lot in continuing mojo, and I sure hope you have some good cycling buddies. As far as getting "almost good" at something and then letting it go, and wondering how many things you'll be mediocre at - please let that go as well and don't beat yourself up. We are who we are and we're continually changing and evolving. We're great!

Quote Originally Posted by redrhodie View Post
    My MO is to get almost good at "thing", then quit and learn "new thing" to the point of almost good. I can only imagine the new things in my future I shall be mediocre at.
    I'm a big dabbler too. Honestly, I really enjoy the dabble life.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Quote Originally Posted by redrhodie View Post
    It's hard not feel guilty about not riding, but I'm doing other things. My MO is to get almost good at "thing", then quit and learn "new thing" to the point of almost good. I can only imagine the new things in my future I shall be mediocre at.
    Story of my life :-D Good side is - if/when I get injured again, I have other "things" to do while I heal, I no longer have to rant and rave that I can't do thing no.1. I need to work on "things" that don't involve physical exertion, though. Chess? Guitar?
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Quote Originally Posted by salsabike View Post
    I'm a big dabbler too. Honestly, I really enjoy the dabble life.
    I do too. I like learning new things. And I always surprise myself with the things I get into. If you told me 2 years ago I'd be able to play the guitar I wouldn't believe it. It's cool to know that some weird thing is going to be my next passion, and I have no idea what it will be. Maybe I'll be a tight rope walker. I'd better be better than mediocre at that!

Actually, it's when I get past being mediocre that the thing loses its appeal. Maybe my real passion is for learning. Or I like a challenge.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

I also love learning new things, and both of you make a point. When I start getting good at something my interest usually starts waning and I start looking around for other things to do. That doesn't seem to be happening with my kettlebell lifting - BUT I've a shoulder issue that guarantees that it will always be a challenge which is why I love it. hmmmm...good food for thought!
    Last edited by Catrin; 11-25-2014 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    I also love learning new things, and both of you make a point. When I start getting good at something my interest usually starts waning and I start looking around for other things to do. That doesn't seem to be happening with my kettlebell lifting - BUT I've a shoulder issue that guarantees that it will always be a challenge. hmmmm...good food for thought!
    I see Formula One racing in your future.

Electra Townie 7D

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    I see Formula One racing in your future.
    Hehehe, some might say I drive that way anyway