Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

My mojo wanes at times, but I never really had any passions before I got involved with endurance activity. I got so crazy with aerobics, I became an instructor. But, the mojo for that lasted about 10 years and then I really, really needed a change. Cycling brought outdoor activity into my life, which actually changed my life more than anything. But before I started cycling, even when I was a gym rat, I did nothing except work, go shopping, out to eat, stuff with my young kids. I was into volunteering for a while, but eventually that just made me feel taken advantage of. I suck at art and music and I have no desire to learn anything in that area. I like seeing art, but even now, I don't use my MFA membership often enough. I could live without ever listening to music. I rarely see movies. What's wrong with me???? The only stuff I want to do is outdoors! Yet, I don't have the desire to learn any new sports at this point. I really wanted to be a runner, but injury stopped me. I did start x country skiing before I started cycling, but for like 20 years I never did it at anything more than a beginner level. I was scared to death and had no one to ski with. Now, I feel really brave and empowered when I ski. I am going to take a skate ski lesson this winter, but really, it looks way too hard! I have a feeling I might be good at it, because I used to be a figure skater as a kid, but it does seem like it's way more competitive than classic skiing. We will see... all I know is that if I couldn't ride at all, things would be pretty grim for me.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

It was really hard to give up riding as it was the first physical activity I had ever found that I loved to do and it really saved my life - (reversing diabetes, lost lots of weight, etc). That is one of the reasons I am being so careful about listening to my coach (most of the time) with my kettlebell training as I don't know what I COULD replace IT with since I can't ride any more. My frozen shoulder prevents me from any bilateral work so I can't do barbell work, etc. Skiing, x-country- looks like a lot of fun to me but as I've had a major foot surgery with resultant flexibility issues in that ankle I don't think it wise. Love trail running, but my body has problems with running. SO...kettlebell sport, rowing machines, and the occasional step-mill appears to be it for now. I know women here really enjoy Pilates and Yoga, but they just don't do it for me.

I hear you about not going to movies (I go every 3-4 years). My apartment is quiet most of the time, I do watch Netflix. Sometimes I stream classic music to my TV, but my place is quiet more than it isn't and I love to read. My "entertainment budget" feeds my gym and sport training activities so I don't usually "go out" more than a couple times a year and that is for special occasions. I do wonder sometimes if there is something wrong with me, but I am at peace with myself and there is a lot to be said for that. It would indeed be grim if I had to give up my kettlebells. I do have my own kettlebell gym at home so I could continue if I ever have to give up my membership - for me it is as much social (just being around others) as it is working with my coach (who keeps me from hurting myself).

I have my ups and downs with any sports (or activities I'm in). When tired of one thing I do somehting else. Forcing myself into something is not going to get me anywhere. But having physical issues, I am no longer/able to do some of the sports I loved to do, or would love to try.

I too rely on a coach (who happens to be a physiotherapist and kinesio). She also happens to be a tri-athlete so I get best of both worlds. I should have used someone like her years and years ago to prevent injuries I have to live with for the rest of my life.

If I need to get back into something, I have to do it all the way. I can't do things half-way. No way. haha

So I have a very well loaded gym into my basement. PT wanted me to work on my balance to help those injured knees! No probbbblem. I just bought a Bosu balance ball. Not cheap as I could not find any used one in my area but I love new stuff anyway. I don't really have time to get bored into something.

If I have good music to kick my legs into moving, I probably could run or cycled to the moon. haha So may be try to get you moving back by doing a little bit at once and use any stimulus you can (music, heading to ice cream or chocolate place!). 1st thing you'll know, you'll be back to your old self.

Life is short! Have fun! And tough times don't last, tough people do!

I think I've found it again, maybe a little. Part of the reason I've been feeling so messed up in the head for the last year? Endorphin withdrawal! (And grad school stress, but I can't do anything about that.) In part prompted by financial necessity (parking at work is expensive!), I've started parking at a grocery store about a mile and a half away and walking in. (They don't care. There's more than enough parking, and I do actually shop there, so it makes things a little more convenient!) And yesterday, I tried commuting in by bike.

I used the Iguana, because it has a rack and I don't like riding with a backpack. It's remarkably nice, given that it's old enough to vote. I can totally see why people turn these things into touring bikes, because it's pretty stable under load and reasonably smooth. It needs new grips and pedals (it has been a long time since I rode with platforms!), and the issue with a sliding seat post wasn't quite as fixed as I thought. I had to adjust it every 3-4 traffic lights...not good. Also slightly embarrassing. I'm sure I looked like a complete dork in my fancy shorts on an ancient mountain bike, but at least people are nicer to you if you're riding an ancient mountain bike than if you're on a road bike, even here.

I got a little bit lost...OK, I ended up in Marana...totally in the opposite direction from where I needed to be. Added an extra 7 miles to a 13-mile trip. So I rode about 20 miles before getting to work. I didn't get lost on the way home, and thanks to the mountain bike gearing, I actually made it up the giant hill without stopping, although did have to pull into a church parking lot later for water and breath-catching. I kept hitting green lights. The worst part was actually the road that my complex is on. No shoulder, no bike lane, one lane each direction. It wouldn't be a terrible road to commute on, except apparently everyone and their mother wants to use it at 7:20 in the morning. And it has a traffic circle on it!

I want to do this again, and maybe get my road bike out on a weekend, since I'm a little more comfortable with the streets now. I'd like to commute more often, but I think I might wait until sunrise no longer coincides with the time that everyone decides that they should to go to work...
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Glad you found it, Owlie. My old commute was a bit over 13 miles and I found doing it twice a week added a ton of fitness!
    Geez, Marana. Hadn't thought about that town in a long, long time.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport