Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: School Supplies

School Supplies

To disable ads, please log-in.

What is reasonable to expect parents to supply for their children?

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Everything they need to function/participate in the classroom (except textbooks until they get to college)?

Electra Townie 7D

Oh boy - loaded question.

I think it's reasonable to expect them to provide what their kid needs (except textbooks) - so notebooks, pens, tape, etc. I think it gets sticky when they are asked to purchase things "for the classroom" or for other students. On the other hand, I don't know who will buy the stuff for the classroom and the students whose parents can't or won't - since teachers shouldn't have to (they are paid little enough anyway), and the schools won't.

Of course, this is from the perspective of someone who doesn't have or intend to have children - so take it with a grain of salt.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

I'm not quite sure what you're asking, because "reasonable" doesn't seem to enter into school funding decisions these days. Public school, my opinion? Writing implements, writing paper, a book carrier. Pocket calculator once they get to a level that they need one.

That's what's reasonable IMO. But I don't think it's reasonable for school funding authorities to expect ANY school supplies to come out of your (or any teacher's) salary. You don't get to make those decisions, obviously (other than how much you're going to spend personally, which is a decision you shouldn't have to make). So I'm not sure why you ask.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

When I was teaching, we developed our team lists for supplies carefully, but basically, it included notebooks, folders, writing implements, colored pencils. The school had lined paper, pencils, some pens, paper for the printer in my room. Many kids had their own mini staplers, sticky notes, other art type stuff for projects. I had lots of this kind of stuff, too, that was supplied by the school. Most of the issues I had were when I was doing a "hands on" part of a writing unit, where kids often did presentations. Some would need to buy a heavy 3 sided poster board or other tool such as that (we had the regular thin type posters at school) and parents would just not take their kids to buy that. If I saw their was a financial issue (easy when you work with the same group for 2 years), I bought it for them, but often times they repaid me by doing some work for me (cleaning, arranging stuff in the room).
    I had a huge classroom library for independent reading, which was a requirement. Sometimes, though, kids had their own books, which were bought or from the library. This was right before Kindles, etc. I also had a few claculators, a jar of scissors, rulers, erasers, crayons, and markers in my room.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

No one expects me to spend money on my classroom. However, many of my students do not have the things they need to function in the class. We use a lot of Post Its and the students do a lot of answering on small white boards, so they need EXPO markers, plus pencils, erasers, colorized pencils, scissors and rulers.

I have a token economy in my room and I allow students to "buy" some of those supplies from me. I either purchase them myself or the district supplies some things.

I think CA has moved to a policy of we can only ask for donations. We can't require parents to outfit their kids with basic supplies even. Most of my kids started off the year with what they needed, supplied by their parents but I did end up getting supplies for 3 or 4. We're a third of the way into the school year and the kids are running low on things.

Veronica
    Last edited by Veronica; 11-19-2014 at 12:19 PM.

TandemHearts.com

Our school list (and we don't balk at it) includes things like expo markers, binders, postits, etc. It bothers me when the list says "Crayola Bold markers 8 count" (rather than the generic) or "3 ounce glue stick" (which are hard to find but I'd be happy to buy 10 little ones) but I trust the list is that way for a reason. We try to buy extras of everything and send them in because I presume the teacher will find use for it and an extra $10 in school supplies isn't hard for us while we're already buying them.

We're also expected to buy 3 or 4 boxes of tissues and 3 rolls of paper towels as well as hand sanitizer. We're told these are for general classroom use. I don't mind that either since I know its for the benefit of my kid and the alternative would probably be the teacher spending their own money.

This year was the first year that the markers, pencils, etc. were marked as "for general use" and the folders and bookbags were the only thing child specific. I presume that's because not all kids could afford supplies so the school is apportioning things amongst the kids.

General supplies for the class was another thing. The tissues I can get from the district are HORRIBLE. They are like sand paper on the nose and they won't supply hand sanitizer.

I bet the teacher specifies because they have found the generics aren't as good. I know if someone asks me what kind of pencils to get, I'll say "Ticonderoga, preferably the pre-sharpened ones."

Veronica

TandemHearts.com

Here you get a list and that's what you buy. Generally it runs between 70-90 depending on the grade. Places like grocery stores and Wal-Mart will package it all up for you and sell it as a package. You can also buy it from the school but only at the end of the year for the following year.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

I think it depends on the economic situation of parents in the district. In my district, most families are well able to supply their kids with basic supplies (paper, writing utensils, whiteboard markers, binders, folders, etc. and many donate tissue boxes and miscellaneous supplies to teachers.

I also have a token economy- I give kids stickers and they can buy pencil lead, pencils, erasers, paper etc.

I really appreciate the donations of tissue (we don't get it from the district, and the printer paper. I don't use the hand sanitizer- I make them wash their hands in the sink. Some things the families donate I don't ever use though...
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143