Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loss of hair

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

Loss of hair

To disable ads, please log-in.

After getting haircut, to my dismay, my hair doesn't look any thicker. Usually the type of haircut does highlight.

Now I'm beginning wonder if I'm shedding more hair than I realize. My diet hasn't changed for last few years, not taking any medication for anything.. Someone commented I should try switching shampoos.

Yes, of course go to doctor with my checkup and ask. After looking at photos of self from over 10-15 years ago, I definitely had thicker hair.
    The thing is that I already have a short cut so shedding hair in the bathroom is not going to be a difference that is highly noticeable on the floor.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Standard advice is to have your doctor check your thyroid function. That was one of the first warning signs for me - slow growing hair and shedding more than usual. Didn't look like I was missing any, but I noticed. Now, I will notice that if my dosage of replacement hormone needs to be tweaked. Shampoo shouldn't cause more or less shedding, but it might impact how full your hair looks and whether you get any breaking off.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Thyroid check is good just to be sure, but we're getting to that age ... I've read that baldness is actually just as common in women as it is in men, it's just that women almost never embrace it, and either wear wigs or use poufy hairstyles the way some men use comb-overs. My hair, thankfully, is naturally very thick, but definitely not as thick as it was 30 years ago.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Really?? Maybe they mean all over thinning. I assume "male pattern baldness " is a real thing, and not something loads of middleaged women are hiding under wigs... :-)
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post
    Really?? Maybe they mean all over thinning. I assume "male pattern baldness " is a real thing, and not something loads of middleaged women are hiding under wigs... :-)
    Yeah women don't get it quite the same as men - rather than a bald spot they thin everywhere, but it certainly happens. My mom's side of the family has the gene. My grandmother's hair, which was light and thin to begin with, got thinner and wispier until it looked almost gone. My aunt definitely has her hair and my mom, though she has a different color has a lot of the texture. While I wouldn't say my mom is looking bald, her hair certainly looks thinner these days and her part is more noticeable- she has to be concerned about sunburning her scalp. I fortunately got my hair from my dad's side of the family - thick and curly. I could lose half of it and it wouldn't be that noticeable… and I didn't get the premature grey gene either that sometimes plagues that side.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post
    Female pattern baldness (androgenic hair loss) progresses much differently than male pattern baldness. It’s also usually thinning and rarely causes patterns of baldness like in males. Lots of possible reasons for the loss of hair in women so it's best to see a Dermatologist....also for recommendations on hair products/styles that might help in particular cases.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Sorry, didn't mean to sound so dismissive. I was just truly astonished, and got the mental image of lots of hidden tonsures. :-)
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

I have to look into this..sigh.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

My hair is significantly thinner than it was 20 years ago but I have so much of it, that I'm not complaining. The loss is more noticeable when my hair is long as the strands don't just fall out until I'm in the shower (I don't brush or comb my hair during the day) and I end up with a handful of hair. To be perfectly honest, it's the only aspect/sign of aging that I'm actually happy about!

I consider it normal and just a part of aging (unless it suddenly increases or something).
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

On the other hand, I no longer need to shave my armpits and legs (well maybe once a year): hair no longer grows. It's been like this over last 8 yrs. or so: I've inherited my mother's gene. I now take this for granted as "normal".

I've gone from thin, fine, blonde to REALLY thin, fine, blonde. Getting worry some. My dermatologist actually recommended Rogaine. I can't seem to use it consistently enough for noticeable results. Getting my hair highlighted again in a few weeks, hoping that will give my hair a bit more texture, so it won't appear so thin and flat. Did I mention no body either? Am I gonna be one of those little ladies with a bobby pin perm one day?

Oh, and another birthday soon too! Just another reminder! At least I can ride a bike!
    2011 Specialized Ruby Comp
    2015 Giant Liv Tempt 3

I have apparently have genetic hair loss. After age 50 my hair was noticeably thinner. It's gotten very bad and is embarrassing and depressing. The top of my head I tried Rogaine a few years ago and it didn't seem to help then. I think I didn't use it long enough. I'm on it again and I feel like it is helping now, but I'm not sure. If my hair color isn't fresh it's much more noticeable with the roots.... at least it's not visible under the helmet.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

I have very thick hair, but all of a sudden, it seems to have slowed its growth rate. I am trying to grow it in various places, and my bangs don't seems to be progressing at all! It's not thin or balding, but this is very unusual...
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Heck, I'm just happy to have hair again. But as others have said, have your thyroid checked.

I only seem to grow hair on the inside calf on my legs -- very weird. The one thing I miss about chemo is having no hair under my arms, although I still only need to shave about once a month. It's very sparse.

Mine is definitely not thyroid- my doctor checked....
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143