Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

About Fredwina--sad news, and a BikeJournal tribute to her

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hello, you all. I never met Fredwina in person, but I always really enjoyed her posts and her ride pictures, her determination to explore on her bike in new places and to try to keep adapting to her job-related and elder care-related moves. I know there are a lot of you here who liked her as well.

Via a Facebook connection, I found out yesterday that Fredwina died this summer. I don’t have any special standing to make this post, or any additional information except what you can read at the links below. And it took me a while to talk myself into posting this news here, because of those things. It seemed to be not quite my place. But I kept thinking, there are people on TE who will wonder how Fredwina is, and why we haven't heard from her lately—people who would want to know this. It seemed even more wrong not to tell you all, so…I’m doing so. I’m sorry to be the bearer of such sad news.

I liked Fredwina a lot and I will miss hearing from her. I wish her peace.

Fredwina (Jana Lingo)
    Posted on BikeJournal 9/7/14

Fredwina, whose real name was Jana Lingo, is the perfect example of a person who used social media to create links with virtual friends, and then transcend these tiny links into real friendships.

She bicycled for more than 15 years, logging 40,000 miles on BikeJournal. She was proud to say she rode in 20 states and met many BikeJournal members.

Fredwina was famous on BikeJournal for her striking photos on the Pictures From A Recent Ride threads, and her ride videos, taken from her recumbent, edited to include soul music.

Born in Missouri, she trained to become a computer scientist. She established herself in CA (Rancho Cucamonga) then NY (Albany) before returning to Memphis to take care of her aging mother.

She was proud to say that through cycling, she lost 100 pounds and kept them off without surgery. She was a model of dedication to ride despite weather conditions.

Fredwina was religious (Presbyterian) and her hobbies included fiction writing, being Elvis's #1 fan, and she was an aficionado of ice hockey.

Her last year was very difficult after she lost her job and was managing her mother's Alzheimer's. Fredwina passed away on July 21, 2014.

She will be missed by all BikeJournal members. Rest in peace, Jana, and say hello to Pansy and Raleighdon.

The link to the Bike Journal thread where this tribute was posted: http://www.bikejournal.com/thread.as...B%7D&numPost=1

The link to Jana’s Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/jana.lingo?fref=ts
    Last edited by salsabike; 11-17-2014 at 07:35 AM.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Thank you, salsabike! I liked reading her posts and remember her well.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Oh. I have missed her posts. Thanks for sharing the news, Salsa.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    How sad. She certainly loved sharing her cycling photos of things she saw. Why is it I get a powerful feeling that she was physically healthy until her death recently? But then, me being me...
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Oh no! So sad to hear about her passing.

Electra Townie 7D

Such sad news.

So sad to hear. Thanks for posting BikeJournal's tribute, salsa.
    2014 Surly Straggler
    2012 Salsa Casseroll - STOLEN

Thanks for posting this - I had wondered where Fredwina had gone and what she had been up to. So sad
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

I too will miss Fredwina and her adventurous spirit that shone through her posts.

I'm sure you did the right thing by posting this, Salsa. Thank you.

Thanks for posting, Salsa. Sad news indeed. I was, in fact, wondering recently about Fredwina.

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

I frequently find myself wondering about people of this forum who've seemingly disappeared. Good to know what's happened,though. Sad.

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2009 Specialized Tricross
    2012 Trek Mamba

i really liked her spirit, photo posts and following her blog . I was wondering this summer why she hadn't posted to it or here. i'm sure she's happy being with elvis now......

thanks for letting us know salsa....
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Oh my....very sad news indeed. May her spirit rest in peace and joy. I loved her posts.
    "Don't go too fast, but I go pretty far"

Very sad news, but thanks for posting it.