Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Progress...Don't Ever Stop!

To disable ads, please log-in.

That is my new motto, never stop, never give up. That is how to survive a 10 minute kettlebell sport competition set. Of course, if you come out too hot and heavy then that doesn't work well either - don't want to burn out. I've learned that my body LIKES the Long Cycle (combination movement of a kettlebell clean and jerk). Watch Mimi here - she is a 67 year old French woman who competes with kettlebells - the first lift she is working on in this video is the Long Cycle - she is an inspiration!

To make my rank, my bare minimum of good reps that I have to complete in those 10 minutes is 100. I learned recently that I can do that in 8 minutes, so that gives me two minutes to focus on getting as many good extra reps as possible - assuming that I will actually have a competitor in my weight class and rank. Due to my shoulders I have to go lighter than I would like, which is part of it, but there is something about the flow of the movement that my body just really, really likes.

To make matters interesting I've either teres major tendonitis (my doctor thinks), or trigger points that are mimicking the symptoms. I've been cleared to do my two favorite lifts (Long Cycle and Jerk), I just am not currently allowed to do the Snatch, and I wasn't intending on competing in that lift anyway, my body dislikes that movement as much as it likes the Long Cycle. I was surprised my doctor cleared me to do the other work, but the movements are very different. I am following up on the possible trigger point root of the problem. Seems to me if a myofascial tool causes pain in a very different location that it is more than likely a trigger point.

Today I did my usual Sunday Swings workout - it is a ladder workout with 500 single-arm kettlebell swings intermixed with 100 TRX rows. I was vigilant for pain and there wasn't any While this is a great workout, it's main purpose isn't competition or even strength, but as a metabolic booster.
    Last edited by Catrin; 11-09-2014 at 05:14 PM.

Holey moley ... you are tough!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I don't see it as tough, rather as being fun.

I've recently heard Kettlebell Sport lifters described as masochists and our coaches as sadists, there is probably just a little truth there. What does that say about coaches that also compete? Of course this can be said about any competitive sport.
    Last edited by Catrin; 11-10-2014 at 01:04 PM.

I couldn't figure out where to put this Some of you may remember all of my neck and shoulder problems over the years. Frankly, if someone had told me that I actually had a frozen shoulder I probably wouldn't have ever picked up a kettlebell, but not one person used those two words. Well, apparently I do as a consequence of my improperly treated broken bones (plural) 40 something years ago.

So now I am preparing for competition with an arm that will likely never get stronger, and I am not about to give up! Kettlebell sport lifting is NOT about muscling the weight up but by using the entire body in the process. I may not be able to advance up the ranks, but I am bound and determined to succeed at one competition at the very least. Everyone I am paying to help me: Osteopath (pcp), Chiro, Coach are strongly encouraging me in the process. There is one lift I am not allowed to do, and my coach is being very vigilant..we are much alike and he understands stubborness. He and my Chiro (not a Palmer practice, he focuses on ART and related techniques, has worked with high level sports teams) communicates directly with my permission.

There is no easy fix for my shoulder, and frankly, there may not BE one at all. People keep telling me how amazing it is that it is as functional as it is, and I credit the hard work I do for that. Not about to consider surgery as long as it works.

We had a mock competition on Saturday and I did well. I do have a form problem on that side as my body must work around a scapula that really doesn't move much at all, but things are far better than they once were! I've got to solve that before the comp.

So, my mantra continues, never stop, never give up. We might have to change our approach but that is life!
    Last edited by Catrin; 11-19-2014 at 10:44 AM.

Your enthusiasm and focus inspire me.

Electra Townie 7D

You are an example of why I don't stop doing what I do. In the past, I've had medical people tell me something like "Well, just ride 5 miles." NO, I can't do that. I can modify stuff, though, and change activities from time to time.
    Can't wait to hear about the competition.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport