Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

So I have a filthy bike, overhaul needed

To disable ads, please log-in.

I had my brake pads replaced today. The mechanic told me my bike was quite dirty, needed an overhaul, etc. I didn't deny anything he said but said I needed to bike around still while it's still not snow yet. He tried really hard to sell me the overhaul for $175.00. It made me wonder about the quality of the replacement parts..
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

What replacement parts does that include? Bearing cartridges? Just cables and housings?
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Chain, cassette, etc. Hmmm. I said I'll think about it. I talked it over with my partner. The chain is abit stretched but it's not terrible or impairing my cycling. The thing is...winter is coming up and it makes more sense for me just to wash the bike abit myself and get the bike overhauled in spring. I don't do tons of mileage in the winter nor do I much hill climbing because I don't want to get into situations often where the road is icy. It is strictly functional cycling.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

The chain and cassette wear down together, so I think most shops prefer to change both at the same time, to ensure smooth working. If you replace the chain early you can get away with not replacing the cassette until next time the chain needs replacing, however. They're actually really easy to replace yourself if you have basic tools. Parts will vary in price, usually according to weight.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

don't lose ur faith be strongt

Yeah, if chain and cassette are included I get your concern about the price. I hate having to pass on something because it's way too cheap!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

It snowed a day ago, a huge dump. So I won't be getting my bike overhauled/cleaned for the next few months. I'd rather take my bike in for the work just before I take off for a snowshoeing vacation of a few days.