Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

listening to music but huh? on the radio

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm not all that fond of music choices on the radio. But it was on the other day while I was pounding, sawing and glueing a tool I designed.

Then one song made me rubberneck!! HUH... I could have sworn I was listening to Maria Mena, a Norwegian who sang "Mitt Lille Land" (My small country). I swear it was her! the voice, the intonation and the phrasing...

??? I'm sure it was in English. Who would listen in US if it wasn't?

Besides the Norwegian national anthem and "Til Ungdommen", "Mitt Lille Land" became the symbol of Norwegian resolve after that cowardly act of terrorism by the insane man.

She sings a lot in English, so it may well have been her :-)
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

You designed and made a tool? Very cool!!

Maybe she has made some recordings in English -- it looks like she's releasing songs in the UK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maria_Mena

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Gee, I only listen to music on the radio. In my car. I never change the station, either. DH plays music in the house through our Apple TV/internet radio. But, if he didn't do this, I would never have music on. I don't hate music, but I find no need to have on all around me, all of the time. I know I'm weird, though. I think I've been to 10 or less concerts in my life (rock/jazz/popular) and a couple of seasons of the BSO.
    DH has 3,000 songs on his I Pod that he uses to play music in his car. To me, that's just unfathomable. Like, how does he know which ones to download, and who has the time to do that?
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Like, how does he know which ones to download, and who has the time to do that?
    I love live music, but mostly the only time I listen to recordings is while driving the highway in light traffic. I don't like having music on in the car when I need more attention for traffic or weather conditions, too much of a distraction. I just create an eclectic playlist of all the music I have excluding classical and meditation music, then also exclude anything with a date last played in the last six months, and put it on random shuffle. So I might go straight from angry French hip-hop to old-time country gospel to alt-rock and beyond ... Not a lot of punk or metal, but not "none" either.

DH's playlist is even weirder because he doesn't exclude ANYTHING, and besides movements of classical pieces played without reference to the remaining movements, he's got a fair amount of stand-up comedy, and readings from Hunter S. Thompson and some of the Beat-era writers. Very strange to listen to.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by smilingcat View Post

??? I'm sure it was in English. Who would listen in US if it wasn't?
    You could probably find the song you heard by just looking at what she has on youtube.

I liked her white turns blue cd from 10 or so years ago and there are probably 6 or 7 english albums since that one
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

I never really drove much until I was living here in DC, and I was in my mid 30s by then. But back in grad school I had to rent a car for something, and was really nervous about driving, but I discovered that I had no trouble listening to music that I like while I drive. It's like there are two separate tracks in my brain, one for driving and one for music. However if it's music that I don't like -- I'm looking at you, Celine Dion, and that time your wail nearly made me drive off the Whitestone Bridge -- well, let's just say that the first rule of the car is that I must approve all music.

I am old school and I still like to buy CDs. Then I copy them to my laptop and over to my mp3 player or phone. My car has a 6-CD changer that I like very much. I don't look forward to having a new car that will only work with an mp3 player -- too many steps involved in getting the music playing, plus having to worry about the mp3 player battery and having it stolen from the car. I also prefer CDs because I don't have time to create playlists.

I never listen to the radio, because I want to choose my own music. The only exception is my nephew's sports talk show on his college radio station.

I've recently started listening to music at work when I'm having a bad day. Today it took two consecutive playings of Marshall Crenshaw's first album, but I'm calm now. The only problem with music at work is that I find it hard to air drum and type at that same time.

Gone but not forgotten:

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    I never really drove much until I was living here in DC, and I was in my mid 30s by then. But back in grad school I had to rent a car for something, and was really nervous about driving, but I discovered that I had no trouble listening to music that I like while I drive. It's like there are two separate tracks in my brain, one for driving and one for music. However if it's music that I don't like -- I'm looking at you, Celine Dion, and that time your wail nearly made me drive off the Whitestone Bridge -- well, let's just say that the first rule of the car is that I must approve all music.

I am old school and I still like to buy CDs. Then I copy them to my laptop and over to my mp3 player or phone. My car has a 6-CD changer that I like very much. I don't look forward to having a new car that will only work with an mp3 player -- too many steps involved in getting the music playing, plus having to worry about the mp3 player battery and having it stolen from the car. I also prefer CDs because I don't have time to create playlists.

I never listen to the radio, because I want to choose my own music. The only exception is my nephew's sports talk show on his college radio station.

I've recently started listening to music at work when I'm having a bad day. Today it took two consecutive playings of Marshall Crenshaw's first album, but I'm calm now. The only problem with music at work is that I find it hard to air drum and type at that same time.
    Celine Dion, LOL!!!!!

Electra Townie 7D

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    Celine Dion, LOL!!!!!

Now see, that's why I never listen to country radio in the car. One time this song came on that was so sad I had to pull over and bawl!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I am old school and I still like to buy CDs.
    After inheriting an expensive turntable and cartridge, vacuum tubed electronics, including a tubed cd player, and excellent speakers I've added 50 or so albums to the thousand+ that came with the playback equipment. I've been listening to vinyl at home a lot the last year mainly for the more accurate and warm very natural acoustic and voice sound. Lots of new vinyl being released too....have friends that are also now buying and enjoying listening to vinyl.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

My 32 year old son also recently bought a turntable. Now he's buying lots of albums...
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I've owned some artists on reel to reel, vinyl, 8-track, cassette, and CD, I am NOT buying it in another (or repeat) format!

Electra Townie 7D

We've moved on into technology. hihi

I came from the era of vinyls, then moved along to other things. Now we barely listen to the radio per se. We're on satelitte 90% of the time (home and car) and if it is "radio" it is through internet where we have no or very little ads like local radio.

We have a CD player in our new SUV and it is used only for holding the iphone by inserting a mountek in the cd hole. http://www.mountek.com/

Super easy to put songs in our iphone or ipad or my android tablet. Would never want to go back in time for music technology. We're tech junkies. hihi

I still have a bunch of albums and 45s from my youth. You can buy a digital version of Physical Graffiti but it's just not the same without the cover art.

Sadly my turntable got broken during a move to a new apartment some years ago. Maybe I'll buy a new one someday.

I still have the first 45 I ever bought -- "Stuck in the Middle with You" by Stealers Wheel.

Gone but not forgotten:

I still have a bunch of albums and 45s from my youth. You can buy a digital version of Physical Graffiti but it's just not the same without the cover art.

Sadly my turntable got broken during a move to a new apartment some years ago. Maybe I'll buy a new one someday.

I still have the first 45 I ever bought -- "Stuck in the Middle with You" by Stealers Wheel.
    I've moved 40+ times in my life, I have a shoebox that holds every piece of memorabilia in my life.

Electra Townie 7D