Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am allergic to goose feathers, but the down comforter doesn't bother me. Other feathers will make me itch almost immediately. I was quite concerned at first, but there's never been an issue, despite the fact that I react to lots of weird stuff that allergy tests haven't shown.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

They also have down alternative comforters that I will check into. One of the reasons my asthma is almost nonexistent is I avoid triggers...
    I may try the down, no feathers version, as long as I can return it. Something to look into.

This one is rated for extra warmth, and is more reasonably priced than the other 'extra warmth' options, and has many good reviews. There is one other that is rated for ex wmf and is cheaper, but has no reviews. (Reviews always make a huge difference when buying online, especially for something like this). Would definitely cover with a separate duvet since it doesn't come with one. The instructions list it as dry clean only. My comforters specifically recommend against cleaning at all, hence the duvets. And dry-cleaning something that size is more than 30 dollars.

If you go for 'medium warmth,' there are more inexpensive choices. The extra warmth ones typically are higher quality with more down.

Edit: possible medium warmth option.
    Last edited by Muirenn; 11-08-2014 at 01:24 PM.
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Krampus!

I've looked this one before Murienn, and it has me interested. It isn't much more expensive than the others I've been looking at. I think, however, before I pull the trigger on this experiment, I am going to pick up another Egyptian cotton blankie or two and see how that works with my new flannel sheets. Thought about a microfiber velvet blanket but it is slick and I think would feel cold at first. It DOES get cold here, though I suppose we can't consider last winter as a normal winter - we got colder than Antarctica a couple of times...and they are already using those horrible words most of us learned last winter: "Polar Vortex".

My personal winterization efforts have expanded to stocking my pantry with a bottle of Barbencourt (4 year) Rum & decaff coffee, and an extra bottle of Port. Also new wool socks. New tires next week for my car, and last summer I got a sheepskin hat. Winter, bring it on!

Off topic here, but what Port did you end up buying?
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Off topic here, but what Port did you end up buying?
    As it is related to "winterization" I don't think it is off topic at all

I currently have two, both from Trader Joe's:

Porto Morgado Tawny Port (Aged 10 Years) probably the best 10 year aged Tawny out there for $11 I like this one
    Just picked up a bottle of Quarles Harris 2008 (Late Bottled Vintage), which I am told is considered a good year - but it is only $12 at Trader Joe's. They do carry a $40 bottle of Port from Quarles Harris but I am not going there. I've not yet tried it, but will try it soon.

I find I really like Tawny Port - been curious about Ruby Port, but have been told since Ruby Port isn't aged at all that it is much sweeter...and the Tawny is sweet enough for me!
    Last edited by Catrin; 11-08-2014 at 02:29 PM.

Very few grocery stores in MA are allowed to sell liquor, so my Trader Joe's does not. My local grocery store does, and we have a really good liquor store close, too. Based on your recommendations, I will be heading to Colonial Spirits tomorrow... everytime I say that, I think of my friend and former colleague who always says, "the bad boys in high school hung out at Colonial Spirits." This must have been when the drinking age was 18; I know by the time my kids got to the high school, they did not hang out there!
    We belong to a wine club and get wine every month through that, so it's pretty rare for me to go to the liquor store.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I considered getting a wool filled duvet at one point. I ended up getting a polyester fill duvet with a duvet cover. (We call the actual comforter the duvet ). I purchased a down filled blanket. Yes they really labelled it a blanket. I only have a problem with cool sheets for my feet which are usually cold. I use a "Magic Bag" (oatmeal filled/heat in microwave) for my feet. I like the fact that it cools down and doesn't add heat all night. Gotta love night sweats. I have a flannel sheets just loose on top of me. If I get too hot I can pull it out and toss it aside. It is just a flat single.
    Lucy 2012 Surly Cross Check
    Sally 2009 Specialized Dolce Elite
    Peppermint Patty 2009 Trek 4500 WSD
    Marcie 2008 Giant Sedona
    Violet 1994 Norco Kokanee

Quote Originally Posted by DebSP View Post
    I considered getting a wool filled duvet at one point. I ended up getting a polyester fill duvet with a duvet cover. (We call the actual comforter the duvet ). I purchased a down filled blanket. Yes they really labelled it a blanket. I only have a problem with cool sheets for my feet which are usually cold. I use a "Magic Bag" (oatmeal filled/heat in microwave) for my feet. I like the fact that it cools down and doesn't add heat all night. Gotta love night sweats. I have a flannel sheets just loose on top of me. If I get too hot I can pull it out and toss it aside. It is just a flat single.
    Unsure if what I already have is a "quilt" or a synthetic "comforter", but it isn't warm outside of July. As I recall it was originally one of those "bed in a bag" things, I DO like the design of it. It just isn't warm. It will be interesting to see what it will be like with the addition of a better blanket and flannel sheets. One nice thing about this approach is it is easy to change the number of blankets. We will see, I've decided that I don't actually have to be cold - it's just been a result of being cheap
    Last edited by Catrin; 11-09-2014 at 04:50 AM.

Very few grocery stores in MA are allowed to sell liquor, so my Trader Joe's does not. My local grocery store does, and we have a really good liquor store close, too. Based on your recommendations, I will be heading to Colonial Spirits tomorrow... everytime I say that, I think of my friend and former colleague who always says, "the bad boys in high school hung out at Colonial Spirits." This must have been when the drinking age was 18; I know by the time my kids got to the high school, they did not hang out there!
    We belong to a wine club and get wine every month through that, so it's pretty rare for me to go to the liquor store.
    Crankin - in Indiana grocery stores may sell wine and beer - but it can't be cold. Anything else must come from the liquor store, and many of the local stores have a limited choice. We do have a couple of specialty liquor stores that carry a nice variety of fortified wines and liqueurs. Well, they all can't have the same stock but it would be nice if the good place was less than a 30 minute drive from my apartment. Perhaps that is a good thing :-) I DID try the 3-star (4 year) Barbancourt Rum last night, very nice. When that bottle is empty I will try the 5-star (8 year).

Very good, Catrin. You'd fit right in with myself and my cycling friends!
    The worst liquor buying situation I've lived in was in PA. There's state stores, but I remember that I had to go into an actual bar to buy beer, and that was a little scary to me. It was really weird. Like you couldn't buy beer and wine at the state store. Of course, this was in the 70s, so my memory is hazy, and it may have changed since then.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

The worst liquor buying situation I've lived in was in PA. There's state stores, but I remember that I had to go into an actual bar to buy beer, and that was a little scary to me. It was really weird. Like you couldn't buy beer and wine at the state store. Of course, this was in the 70s, so my memory is hazy, and it may have changed since then.
    I have friends who moved to PA a few years ago, it's still a very strange place to try and buy alcohol. When they come home to visit the buy stuff by the case to take home.

Electra Townie 7D

And in South Carolina, as you may know, you can't buy alcohol on Sundays. (Unless the town has applied and paid for a special license, but that is a relatively recent development).

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Crankin - in Indiana grocery stores may sell wine and beer - but it can't be cold. Anything else must come from the liquor store, and many of the local stores have a limited choice. We do have a couple of specialty liquor stores that carry a nice variety of fortified wines and liqueurs. Well, they all can't have the same stock but it would be nice if the good place was less than a 30 minute drive from my apartment. Perhaps that is a good thing :-) I DID try the 3-star (4 year) Barbancourt Rum last night, very nice. When that bottle is empty I will try the 5-star (8 year).
    Just order a few cases of brandy, and forget the new blanket. Problem solved.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

One of our local runs had beer. The problem was that the run was on Sunday morning - so they couldn't *sell* beer according to our blue laws. They gave it away I have friends who really enjoyed that!
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...