Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

And certain colors are even less, I need to sleep on thus

Just in case, Overstocks featherbeds are a better price than I thought they'd be. Sleeping on something like that adds a lot of warmth. Some of them seem to have poor reviews, some quite good. Might be quite cost effective to get one duvet, one comforter, and one feather bed, since those are actually designed to sleep on top of, and most come with a removable, washable cover.

Anyway! Here they are.
    Last edited by Muirenn; 11-07-2014 at 08:11 PM.
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Krampus!

Another vote for flannel sheets and down comforter. With a light cotton blanket in between.

When my parents visit I sleep on an air mattress on the living room floor and they use my bedroom (it's just a 1BR condo). It gets very cold on the floor in the winter. So I spread my fleece snuggie out on top of the flannel bottom sheet and sleep on that, and it's very comfortable. So I would recommend a fleece blanket underneath you as something else to consider.

- Gray Trek Madone 4.7 road bike, mystery crack in top tube repaired by Calfee, Bontrager Affinity RXL saddle
    - Red Trek 6000 mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver Trek 2000 road bike
    - Two awesome and worn out Juliana saddles

Here in Norway electric blankets are unheard of. I've only seen them as a child, visiting my grandparents in the States. Down "dyne" all the way! I don't know if that's a duvet or a comforter, it's downfilled, puffy, and has a washable cover. We have a lightweight summer one and a heavier winter one which can only be used in the coldest winter months. My solution for freezing sheets in winter is to toss in an oldfashioned hot water bottle a little while in advance.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Thanks for all of the good comments, I will go with the flannel sheets and comforter with a light cotton blanket in between. I DO have allergies, but I don't remember any evidence of being allergic to down. I am sure that a true down comforter would be lighter/warmer than a "hypo-allergic" manufactured fill. Let the search begin

My down comforter can be washed. You just zip off the cover part. Of course, we've barely washed it in the 11 years we've had it, but I am better now about it. It's also very thin.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post
    Here in Norway electric blankets are unheard of. I've only seen them as a child, visiting my grandparents in the States. Down "dyne" all the way! I don't know if that's a duvet or a comforter, it's downfilled, puffy, and has a washable cover. We have a lightweight summer one and a heavier winter one which can only be used in the coldest winter months. My solution for freezing sheets in winter is to toss in an oldfashioned hot water bottle a little while in advance.
    A duvet is basically a washable cover. The down comforters I linked to do not have removable covers.

What do you think of a featherbed to sleep on?

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Thanks for all of the good comments, I will go with the flannel sheets and comforter with a light cotton blanket in between. I DO have allergies, but I don't remember any evidence of being allergic to down. I am sure that a true down comforter would be lighter/warmer than a "hypo-allergic" manufactured fill. Let the search begin
    Just keep in mind,, as LPH said, that some comforters are much warmer than others. Different weights and purposes, etc.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

Ugh, I cannot stand flannel sheets. I love the idea of them, but they are too hot and my cotton pjs cling to them.

I've always wondered - where to featherbeds go? Do you put them on top of your bottom sheet? How do you keep them clean? Inquiring minds are curious!
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
    I've always wondered - where to featherbeds go? Do you put them on top of your bottom sheet? How do you keep them clean? Inquiring minds are curious!
    I seem to remember that my grandmother put the bottom sheet over the featherbed, but my memory could be wrong. I won't go this route unless I can't get warm other ways, I am a bit concerned that much down/feathers might get my allergies going, but we will see.

I am checking out local sources for comforters, my first stop was Kohl's. I DID get a thin Egyptian cotton blankie for a very good price, but will continue to shop around for both flannel sheets and a comforter, I suspect I will get the comforter online but it is worth the gas to check my local options. Kohl's hand a comforter that would have worked, but not at almost $200!!!!

I've had flannel sheets before and had forgotten about them for some reason. As I remember I liked them. Kohl's was obviously treating the twin size flannel sheets as a loss leader, the cost for full size sheets were more than double!

It might be worth going to Kohl's website and signing up for emails -- you might get special offers that would save you some money.

Ikea has some, though they all look pretty thin in the photos.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20271571/

I bought mine from LL Bean years ago. They're not cheap but they currently have a 10% off offer.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/50731...e=down-bedding

- Gray Trek Madone 4.7 road bike, mystery crack in top tube repaired by Calfee, Bontrager Affinity RXL saddle

Gone but not forgotten:

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    I am a bit concerned that much down/feathers might get my allergies going, but we will see.
    Not really something you want to "see" about when you're talking about a big investment. Do you have a down vest or jacket you could wear continuously for a few days and see how you do? The only time in my life I've woken with paroxysmal nocturnal dyspnea was the last time I slept in a down sleeping bag. Trust me, it is NOT a good feeling.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Not really something you want to "see" about when you're talking about a big investment. Do you have a down vest or jacket you could wear continuously for a few days and see how you do? The only time in my life I've woken with paroxysmal nocturnal dyspnea was the last time I slept in a down sleeping bag. Trust me, it is NOT a good feeling.
    Same with my honey, no down pillows or comforters for us.

Electra Townie 7D

If down is an issue, multiple blankets can also work. It got pretty cold here last night, and I haven't taken the comforter out of its summer storage bag yet (nor have I put the flannel sheets on yet -- I still have the regular cotton sheets on the bed). I use a regular fleece blanket on top of my thin cotton blanket during the warmer months. I put a fleece throw and the snuggie on top of the cotton blanket and regular fleece blanket last night, and I was too warm.

Gone but not forgotten: