Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

I wish all the old stuff I struggle to get rid of would fit in a shoebox ...

Never had many 45s and they're all long gone. But I still have the first LP I ever bought, James Taylor's "Mud Slide Slim and the Blue Horizon." And the second one: Deep Purple's "Machine Head." And the one I bought used from another student in 1978, that's saved my sanity any number of times: Haitink conducting the London Philharmonic in Liszt tone poems. I've been eclectic for a while now ...
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Growing up in a military family in the 60's you are taught very quickly to keep possessions to a minimum. And then, as an adult, you turn out like me, moving constantly, or like my brother, never moving again. He has albums from the 60's and 70's still, and I think he still has his turntable from HS.

Electra Townie 7D

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    Growing up in a military family in the 60's you are taught very quickly to keep possessions to a minimum. And then, as an adult, you turn out like me, moving constantly, or like my brother, never moving again. He has albums from the 60's and 70's still, and I think he still has his turntable from HS.
    That's funny, I grew up as a military brat in the 70s and 80s and it had an odd effect on my family.

My mother won't throw away ANYTHING ever. As an adult I wanted to move every 5 seconds and thought nothing of giving up almost all my possessions and moving a couple thousand miles to be with my wife.

My youngest brother joined the service and is a colonel. My sister and eldest brother went the opposite direction, they planted themselves in Colorado and Washington and haven't moved since.

My wife has a closet shelf of LPs but no turn table. All my media is digital and stored in the cloud, easier to take with me that way.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Karen - isn't it a weird little group to belong to? If I asked you "where are you from" I know the EXACT look you'd have on your face!

Electra Townie 7D

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    Karen - isn't it a weird little group to belong to? If I asked you "where are you from" I know the EXACT look you'd have on your face!
    LMAO! My wife and I had that exact conversation the other day. I was born in Mississippi, but only lived there a month. For many years I answered "Idaho" because that's where my parents retired. Well, they just moved to Washington... I've lived in Texas longer than anywhere, but Texans are funny and if you aren't born here you can't be "from" here.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    LMAO! My wife and I had that exact conversation the other day. I was born in Mississippi, but only lived there a month. For many years I answered "Idaho" because that's where my parents retired. Well, they just moved to Washington... I've lived in Texas longer than anywhere, but Texans are funny and if you aren't born here you can't be "from" here.
    Yup! Born in Massachusetts, but my folks retired in Illinois, then they lived in Florida for the rest of their lives. I've lived everywhere in the time since HS, so "home" is wherever my wife is.

Electra Townie 7D

I JUST GOT TICKETS TO THE FOO FIGHTERS 20TH ANNIVERSARY SHOW AT RFK!!!! WHOO HOO!!

Sorry for yelling but this is HUGE. And yes I missed a bike ride with friends because tickets went on sale at the same time the ride started.

The show is a festival on July 4. Other artists are Buddy Guy, Gary Clark Jr, Heart, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, LL Cool J and Trouble Funk. I know the Foos music inside and out but will have to buy a few CDs to be familiar with some of the others.

I am definitely not a music festival type of person. The seats are general admission, it will be super crowded, it's probably going to be 100 degrees with thunderstorms in the middle of the show, the food will probably be way overpriced. And with the regular July 4 fireworks display on the mall at the same time, traffic will be beyond nightmare conditions and Metro will be jammed. But it will be worth it!! Dave will put on a great show!!

http://www.930.com/event/716259-foo-...ry-washington/

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I'd be yelling too if I got to see Joan Jett!!!

Electra Townie 7D

Joan Jett. Havn't heard that name in a while.

Love listening to music but never could stand the crowd at pop concerts. I was really annoyed at Fourth of July concert by Chicago (the group) many years ago. People were throwing fire crackers... I was also really annoyed at Peter Paul and Mary concert. the guy I was with yakked so much I couldn't enjoy the music.

Maybe I'm just a snot because I loved going to chamber music "concerts" preferably in small venue with period instruments. Then again, maybe I'm not a snot, because I would love to go and see Andrea Berg Heimspiel "tour" or 20 Jahre Abenteure "tour" and definitely would love to see an eclectic group Faun. Love their latest album Luna. Another group I like is Santiano. My partner says that if I want to listen to Santiano, I should go to Disneyland and go on Pirates of Caribbean ride (Hi ho Hi ho...) sheesh. Oh definitely would see Pink Martini.

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    I JUST GOT TICKETS TO THE FOO FIGHTERS 20TH ANNIVERSARY SHOW AT RFK!!!! WHOO HOO!!
    I would be yelling if I got to see Joan Jett as well, that is fantastic!

I used to listen to a local independent rock station that played a nice mix of old and new, but currently I've been on an audio-book jag in my car. I've noticed that I am am more patient in traffic when listening to a good book rather than good music. At least right now, I am sure the pendulum will swing back to music. Most of my music these days is electronic, which is great since some of my favorites are still from the 60's and 70's. I've other favorites since then as well, but no radio station plays many of them - if any.

I also love classical music as well, especially Baroque but there are a wide range of composers I like. Speaking of which, my church choir and a local (great) baroque orchestra are joining forces this afternoon for a Mozart concert

I am NOT a festival or concert person usually. It is the horrible traffic to and from, the large crowds. I would, however, brave that to see Joan Jett. Or Jethro Tull. Or...

Have fun!

I'm not sure if I'd enjoy the big festivals, for the same reasons you say, but there are any number of small festivals near me, all season long, and they are great fun, a chance to hear just tons of good music at a reasonable price. The Nelsonville festival in particular gets top headliners and wonderful supporting acts, the atmosphere is wonderful, the price is crazy reasonable since it's the weekend after Memorial Day, and it's really small and intimate. Both times I've been, I've come home with like six new favorite artists. Maybe I shouldn't tell you all about it ....

I've heard performers say they really prefer the festival atmosphere since they only have to prepare one set themselves, and might get a chance to jam with or at least listen to one or two of the other bands. I know whenever we've heard Yonder Mountain String Band at festivals, they've been tighter and more "on" than the couple of times I've heard them in clubs.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Foo Fighters, I know. Joan Jett? Never heard of her.
    I've always said I'm from Massachusetts, even when living here was not much in my memory. However, I have noticed that once in awhile, when I'm talking with a snarly New Englander about something like "the way we do this," I'll say "I'm from Arizona, and that's not how it is..." Of course, I'm really not *from* Arizona, but since I lived there for a good chunk of my adult life, I feel privy to all kinds of lore about Zonies. One thing I know is that I never say I'm from Florida! Worst 5 years of my life.
    June 4th marks my 25th anniversary of being back in Massachusetts. How can that be?????
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    I also love classical music as well, especially Baroque but there are a wide range of composers I like. Speaking of which, my church choir and a local (great) baroque orchestra are joining forces this afternoon for a Mozart concert

Have fun!
    I love baroque music, Chanson and other medieval music such as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB4CehJEK8A There is something soothing about the sound. its not the "wall of sound" from Phil Spector.

I also love Anonymous 4.

As much as I like Vivaldi's four season, PLEASE KEEP IT AWAY FROM ME. I've had my life's fill of Spring. Same goes for the Blue Danube, Beethoven's 5th and the 9th. I still like the 6th (pastoral) It's very soothing. And on the darker side, Night On Bald Mountain by Mussgorsky-Rimsky-Korsekov (sp??) Something very pretty is Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto in D major op35.

For opera, my all time favorite is Mozart's Die Zauberflote (the magic flute). The arias in it are one of the most beautiful (technically most demanding for the soprano).
    Last edited by smilingcat; 11-10-2014 at 09:37 PM.