Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Change of seasons? Reading choices

To disable ads, please log-in.

I think that my body is already into the "seasonal change" as we approach winter. As winter comes I tend to stay home more and curl up with good books while cooking. Not that I don't do that during warmer weather, but I tend to read what I call "mental candy" (fast genre fiction reads) in the summer since I don't have much time to read, and in the late fall/winter/early spring my topics change. For example, I have the day off work as it is election day. What am I planning? Making a huge pot of pumpkin/beef/pork chili and will split my reading time between "The Paleo Approach" (the science behind how diet can be used to help control autoimmune disease) and "The Fall of Giants" (for a book club I am a member of) while listening to Pandora that streams to my TV. This evening I've my usual Tuesday evening kettlebell comp training session, so will arrive early for some cardio-warmup prior to the training session. I've a good list of Tudor history books on tap to read, as well as some Pushkin and Dostoevsky for the winter (just to name a few). I actually make a fall/winter reading list :-)

So how does your activities change with the seasons? For the readers, do you tend to read different topics in different seasons?

I'm a big reader, year round. Working in a massive library is like an addict working in a pharmacy!

As we go into winter I'll read more non-fiction though, seems like a good time to learn new things. And, like you, I'll get more heavily into health and fitness reading and activities to help ameliorate the dark and cold and sedentary winter.

Electra Townie 7D

I don't read as many adult books when school is in session. I read a lot of children's lit. as I like to keep my classroom library up to date. When the Newberrys get announced in January, I'll order them all right away. I'd estimate I spend a least $1,000 a year just on books for my classroom. Contrary to what some people think, I do actually care about my students. I have a lot who profess to dislike reading, although the diagnostic tests I've done say they are capable. Research shows that so much of our vocabulary growth comes from reading. So I'm always on the look out for books to "hook" them. I no longer have enough space on my classroom bookshelves for all the books I have. I do have multiple copies of some things so those are in storage.

I am looking forward to Thanksgiving break because we're heading to Maine to visit family. Lots of time on a plane means lots of reading. I recently discovered Mira Grant, definitely what I would describe as brain candy for adults. I've read the first two of the Newsflesh series, just got the third one from the library and I'm in the middle of Parasite right now. I'm in the queue for a set of the Dresden Files and The Girl with All the Gifts. I'm hoping I get them before break.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

I am reading a brand a new autobiography of Queen Isabella. It's quite academic in the beginning, not historical fiction at all, but I am really into it. It's long, too. What a tough woman. I love reading about the Renaissance. Too bad one of the names that just came up is a name of a guy who was a big leader in the Inquisition.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I pretty much read the same things year round, fantasy, sci fi, suspense, mystery and some historical fiction.

I really enjoyed Mira Grant and The Dresden Files is one of my all time favorite series. They are just fun enjoyable books. If you like them you should try Simon R Green's Nightside series.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I am reading a brand a new autobiography of Queen Isabella. It's quite academic in the beginning, not historical fiction at all, but I am really into it. It's long, too. What a tough woman. I love reading about the Renaissance. Too bad one of the names that just came up is a name of a guy who was a big leader in the Inquisition.
    For some reason I am in a Tudor phase, both history and historical fiction. Really enjoying Alison Weir's (the British historian not to be confused with the American woman by the same name) books right now, most of her work is history though she has written some historical fiction. Her history books are well written and tell a very good story - they aren't a dry academic recounting of dates and places. I am starting her book "The War of the Roses". Just finished "Wolf Hall", first in a trilogy on the life of Thomas Cromwell written by Hilary Mantel. She brings more nuance to his character in her novel than is perhaps usually seen. The second book is out and I have it on hold from the library. I've others I am currently reading or listening to in my car - I don't ordinarily have so many books going at the same time! More and more reading, less and less television

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    I don't read as many adult books when school is in session. I read a lot of children's lit. as I like to keep my classroom library up to date. When the Newberrys get announced in January, I'll order them all right away. I'd estimate I spend a least $1,000 a year just on books for my classroom. Contrary to what some people think, I do actually care about my students. I have a lot who profess to dislike reading, although the diagnostic tests I've done say they are capable. Research shows that so much of our vocabulary growth comes from reading. So I'm always on the look out for books to "hook" them. I no longer have enough space on my classroom bookshelves for all the books I have. I do have multiple copies of some things so those are in storage.

I am looking forward to Thanksgiving break because we're heading to Maine to visit family. Lots of time on a plane means lots of reading. I recently discovered Mira Grant, definitely what I would describe as brain candy for adults. I've read the first two of the Newsflesh series, just got the third one from the library and I'm in the middle of Parasite right now. I'm in the queue for a set of the Dresden Files and The Girl with All the Gifts. I'm hoping I get them before break.

Veronica
    Who says you don't care about your students Veronica? Those who say that know nothing about you, your posts over the years here give the lie to that idea. You are not the first one to recommend the Dresden Files. I've seen an episode or two on NetFlix, but I gave up on them. I am curious enough to see how the original books are, I suspect the books are better than the tv series!

Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    I pretty much read the same things year round, fantasy, sci fi, suspense, mystery and some historical fiction.

I really enjoyed Mira Grant and The Dresden Files is one of my all time favorite series. They are just fun enjoyable books. If you like them you should try Simon R Green's Nightside series.
    I agree, the Nightside series is great! It is good to see what others here find interesting, I think that is how I originally discovered the Nightside series.

Anyone interested in "yay women" type books, give anything by Kris radish a look. I'm reading Dancing Naked at the Edge of Dawn again and it's just wonderful.

Electra Townie 7D

I'm more a "cold" weather person so I am out more, I move more, I am more alive. Summer and the heat just kills me. Only thing I like about hot weather is that you just grab your sandals and you're out the door. hihi

I tend to read "light" thinking books (love thrillers, suspense, mysteries, medical "drama" and a bit of romance! Some times I will go through bios like Steve Jobs. I get most of my e-books free from Amazon and places that allow free e-books. I can read 2 weekly, mostly at bedtime or during my lunch hour. I also have a membership with Next issue so I can read so many magazines. It's like an orgy of reading. I do like paper books but since I have my Notes 10.1 tablet I barely open a real book. But my favorite type of books ever are medical thrillers. Then I wonder why I'm afraid to go to the hospital. haha

But fall season for me is time to de-clutter my home, paint, "invent" projects that hubby wants me not to think about. I also do so much more exercise. In the summer, the heat gets to me and I just squash my butt in the air conditionning somewhere. In the cold season, I can be in my gym (at home) almost every night after work (like now) or outside with snoeshoes and my dogs. If it is snowing, I can be in my yard even at 11pm making trails for the pups. Life is soooooo grand then! Wish husband would love to move to Alaska when we retire. But he's thinking more Florida. hahahaha So we'll have to find an in-between to please each one of us. And I can't become American (too complicated) so I think it will be somewhere Canada-West. hihi
    Last edited by Helene2013; 11-05-2014 at 11:39 AM. Reason: typo

Hey Helene, are you a native French speaking Quebecois? (is Quebecois correct? sounded better than Quebecer ) I know I see tons of people from Canada every winter in FL, but I think most are just visiting to get a break from the cold, not moving permanently.

Electra Townie 7D

Yep. French Quebecers (french is Québécois).

It is not easy to become an American. Many rules and regulations.

As for the snowbirds, in Quebec you can leave the province for a max of 180 days per year not to lose the health care benefits. You can't even be out of the province (let's say travel in Canada for 180 days). Some cheat (by paying cash for everything for x period of time just as they leave or a few weeks from their return, or have family do transactions in QC for instance during their leave so it "looks" as if they are physically here!)

In some other provinces the leave is not 6 months but 7 months. And if we stay longer in the USA, there is a form to fill out to prove you are still a Canadian. This form prevents the US government asking you to pay taxes as an american citizen. Complex thing for being neighbours but I guess every country (either Canada or USA) wants part of your income.

Our snowboards are starting to migrate South anytime now. They cherish Florida, Arizona and Texas.

I am like you Helene. I hate hot weather, despite living in AZ and FL for 20+ years. I might go visit AZ/CA where friends and family are, for a bit (3 weeks?) after DH stops working, but I will *never* be a snowbird. Love being out in the snow, on my nordic skis or snowshoes.
    But, my reading tastes don't change according to the weather! I read historical fiction, autobiography, and plain old contemporary fiction with very little deep meaning. I don't read romance novels, but just good old stories about people and places. Apparently, I am one of the few who hates science fiction and fantasy, as well as mysteries. I can't stand reading about crimes or gory stuff and all the fantasy/sci-fi just doesn't make sense to me. And all of those names... I am probably the only living person around who has not read Harry Potter. To me, that would be living Hell. And just think, I was an English teacher. I read all of the YA books, and was aware of the themes of the genres I didn't like in new books, so I could recommend to kids who wanted to read sic-fi, etc. I do miss some of that reading, but I don't even have a clue who won the Newberry in the past 7 years.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Helene2013 View Post
    Yep. French Quebecers (french is Québécois).

It is not easy to become an American. Many rules and regulations.

As for the snowbirds, in Quebec you can leave the province for a max of 180 days per year not to lose the health care benefits. You can't even be out of the province (let's say travel in Canada for 180 days). Some cheat (by paying cash for everything for x period of time just as they leave or a few weeks from their return, or have family do transactions in QC for instance during their leave so it "looks" as if they are physically here!)

In some other provinces the leave is not 6 months but 7 months. And if we stay longer in the USA, there is a form to fill out to prove you are still a Canadian. This form prevents the US government asking you to pay taxes as an american citizen. Complex thing for being neighbours but I guess every country (either Canada or USA) wants part of your income.

Our snowboards are starting to migrate South anytime now. They cherish Florida, Arizona and Texas.
    Same is true on the reverse, we looked into to emigrating to Canada a few years ago, very complicated! And unless you are wealthy, almost impossible after age 50.

Your written English is great, must be cool to be able to speak and READ in different languages. I always wanted to read The Count of Monte Cristo in the original French.

Electra Townie 7D

Thank you Pat. Until my mid-teens, I had no clue what English really was coming from a mostly French area. My mom had family in B.C. and decided to move there to "force" us to learn English. So I went for a year in a private college. It was my worst nightmare year ever. Talk about "hating" mom to make me go through all of this. haha

But thanks to her, today I have excellent job/salary because I am bilingual. My work is mostly in English for the past 20 years. Most of my bosses barely spoke French. Imagine! In fact, I'm better at writing English than French. That is terrible when you think about it. Also, I probably read 25% French, and only watch basically the news in French so maybe only 10% of the tv, videos, etc.

I could work in the USA with the Firm I'm with but it would be very complicated.

I would love to learn Spanish. One day when I have more time. I think I'll move to Mexico. No choice. haha

Still working on my Spanish and tired of Harry Potter y la Piedra Filosofal, I am now reading La Telaraña de Carlota.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

I'm using Duolingo to learn Spanish. The Spanish speaking moms at school have been really supportive and I try to say something to each of the ones I know every day. I can't say much that is useful "comida y ropa" food and clothes are what I know and only the present tense.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com