Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: November Rides

To disable ads, please log-in.

Pulled out some winter gear and got out on my Surly LHT yesterday for about a 20 miler on Whidbey Island - was able to drop off and pick up some books at the library. Perfect day - in mid 40's with beautiful views of the Olympics and Mt. Baker. I haven't ridden as much this year due to more time spent hiking & scrambling in the mountains. I may get out again this week with more sun in the forecast.
    We do not take a trip; a trip takes us - John Steinbeck

I rode 40 miles today with a small group of friends. The weather was nice, a bit cloudy but temps in the mid 50s. My legs are pretty sore -- there were more hills than I expected. But we had a nice day.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Went 68 miles yesterday- not the 85 planned- it was probably my last long ride before El Tour de Tucson (century) in 2 weeks.
    Today, just 20, downhill and then back from Oracle Arizona to San Manuel. Very pretty ride and almost no cars on the road. I usually like going uphill first and downhill coming back, but it was just where my friend and I were starting from.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

"Only" 23 miles on the Sammamish River Trail, but hey, it was 38 freaking degrees when we started about 10:30 and windy as all get out...in both directions as luck would have it. But it was GREAT to be out there, sunny and colorful. It looks like construction is nearly complete on the new section of trail just east of Marymoor Park going south along Lake Sammamish. It's paved now, but still fenced off. I took a chance and snuck around the barrier to see what it was like for a half mile or so.... it was sweeeeeeet. Can't wait till that is officially open! (I felt like a little kid peeking at a Christmas gift)

When we got home our power was off, the wind around our area must have really had some big gusts, a lot of tree branches and debris on the roads and some traffic signals out. Fortunately, it came back on in about 10 minutes...whew.

It seems like our choices up here are cold and dry or warm and rainy... I think I'll take the cold.
    Last edited by AppleTree; 11-11-2014 at 06:25 PM. Reason: formatting
    "Don't go too fast, but I go pretty far"

Quote Originally Posted by AppleTree View Post
    It seems like our choices up here are cold and dry or warm and rainy... I think I'll take the cold.
    Tough choice. I guess I'd take the cold, too.

We had a beautiful day here today, and since it was Veterans Day, I did not go to work. I actually had to use a vacation day for the holiday, since my employer does not close for this holiday but our client does, therefore I was not allowed to work. I generally resent this sort of thing, but since the weather was lovely -- 70 degrees and sunny by early afternoon -- I took advantage of the opportunity for a bike ride. I rode a 40-mile out-and-back on a local rail trail. This was my third ride in five days, and I was pretty tired after the one we did two days ago. But today I felt good, and ended up with an average speed of 15.1 mph, which is a bit higher than I usually ride on this particular trail. At my turnaround point I considered riding a few miles farther before heading back to the start, but decided against it because I wanted to finish before dark. I think this was a good decision, since my legs were pretty tired by the end.

Afterwards I went to a nearby Panera for a big salad, then stopped at the LBS and had a nice chat with a couple of the guys who work there.

The arctic cold front that dumped all that snow in Minnesota will arrive here tomorrow, so I'm glad I was able to enjoy the warm weather today. My next opportunity to ride will be Sunday, if the weather is dry and not too cold. On Saturday we have the volunteer's dinner for my bike club, where I'll be receiving the ride leader's jersey that I earned this year.

Gone but not forgotten:

I commuted yesterday, for the first time in a week or so. Like NY Biker, it was warm here, but since I wasn't outside in the middle of the day, not sure if it got up to 70 here. I think more like the mid sixties. My clinic was open, but it was a bit quiet, with so many of the therapists taking the day off. I didn't leave for work until close to ten and I was dressed way too warm. Riding home at 6:15 PM was lovely. Funny, there didn't seem to be less traffic, even though I know a lot of places were closed. DH said I looked like an X Mas tree when I arrived home, because in addition to my headlight and 2 rear lights, I had on a flashing ankle band and my safety vest. Glad he told me that!
    The forecast for the rest of November is freezing cold. I have to make a commitment to riding in really cold weather until the snow flies. I have the gear.Right now it's very foggy and warm out. I will ride today, but I just don't have the energy to go on the group ride. I think this may be the last 60 degree reading I see until spring.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I went on a hike (more like a walk) with a friend I hadn't seen in a couple of weeks in the late morning and then rode 14.5 hilly miles with DH after lunch. First day in awhile where I felt pretty good while riding and my speed was decent.
    My friend Jack just guilted me on FB, for not going on the group ride!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I went on a hike (more like a walk) with a friend I hadn't seen in a couple of weeks in the late morning and then rode 14.5 hilly miles with DH after lunch. First day in awhile where I felt pretty good while riding and my speed was decent.
    My friend Jack just guilted me on FB, for not going on the group ride!
    I missed a group ride on Saturday because Foo Fighters tickets went on sale at the same time that ride started. I just told my friends I couldn't make it, didn't give a reason.

Yesterday I rode alone instead of joining a group ride because their route included the road where I got a ticket during a ride several years ago when I was not actually breaking any laws. I ended up spending a lot of time researching the law and taking vacation time to go to court to fight it. Just looking at the map of the route from yesterday brought back all the anxiety, so I decided not to join them.

But you're right about having to make the commitment to ride in the cold, and in general doing group rides helps me with that, because it forces me to get out of the house.

Gone but not forgotten:

I'm OK with it. It wasn't that cold this morning; the warmth stayed up here and is just starting to go away as I write. One of the reasons I didn't go was that the ride was around all of my favorite, usual roads in Concord, Acton, Boxborough. In other words, nothing special. DH was working from home and we decided to ride after lunch when it would be 60. The group gets lots of people from the city or suburbs east of here, so riding around here is "the country" to them. I got to more group rides this season than last, but still not enough. That's why I have 2,525 miles instead of 3,000! My head is the cause of most of my angst about cycling. I need to practice what I preach at times, but somehow, I seem to get a decent amount of miles, despite it all. I was very happy with my average, though .
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

foolishly believed the weather mans' rain predictions yesterday which failed to materialize. Rode out instead today at 38 degrees ( this is Houston d### it !) into head winds of 18-20 from the NE which didn't help although we did have a lovely tail wind for about 10 miles on the way back. My top speed going into the wind over the highway overpass was 5.5 mph. Didn't know whether to persevere, get off or fall off.

So todays' stats are pretty pathetic. 38 miles in 4.14 for a speed of 9.3
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

Last whoopla rides before winter attacks

I went to Ohio to babysit my 4 year old grandson the end of October. I rented a bike and rode 30 miles on a great bike trail with perfect weather.
    The covered bridge is new this year. Can you see the trail under the leaves?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	367.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	147.9 KB 
ID:	17447

First week of November, I rode a 50 mile out-back overnighter to Snake Creek state park by the Missouri River. Daytime temps was a 60's so nice for riding. Night temps plunge quickly with the setting of the sun.

Name:	315.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	17443

Last week I enjoyed a 3 day 170 mile ride. Mornings were in the low 30's but warmed to 50's. Wind was mostly favorable except 30 to 40 mile crosswinds one afternoon. Roads were very decent considering this is SD and I only had 10 miles without a shoulder. I spent 2 nights in a hotel and my Hubby came and picked me up on the last day in Yankton, SD. I rode my trusty salsa vaya with 2 front panniers and my handlebar bag.

Yankton is on the Missouri River which is the border between SD and Nebraska. The old Meridian bridge in the picture is a double decker built in 1919 and had many years of use, until the new Discovery bridge was opened in 2009. The great old bridge is now a bike/pedestrian trail. The end of my trip was definitely the highlight of the trip.

Name:	420.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	17446Click image for larger version. 

Name:	411.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	17444Click image for larger version. 

Name:	426.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	17445

I hope I have bike riding out of my system because we now have average temps of 20 and a few inches of snow on the ground.
    Last edited by cosc; 11-12-2014 at 07:03 PM. Reason: sp.

another cold ride. Started out at 38 degrees and finished 3 hours later at 43 degrees. At least the wind was much lighter, especially when compared to two days ago.

today's stats 42 miles in 3:15 for an average of 14.3 which is a step up from Wednesdays pathetic average of 9.3!
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

Having so much trouble dressing for cold weather! I usually commute in regular clothes (it's short and I have no where to change or store stuff) - but I was a human popsicle today. After a lovely commute in, I called DH for a ride home from the bus. Brrrrrrr. Probably would have been ok but for the waiting outside for the bus. No shelter and I have to wait or risk not being able to get the bike on the bus.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I only did 9 km. round trip (bakery) today @-19 degrees C with a wind chill and light headwind which made it cold it enough! Why is it the first bike ride among some lumps of ice and snow on pavement feels like victory? It really does.

I don't have studded bike tires right now so there were some rocky patches I ended up walking over. Oh well..nice bright cold sunshine out there today.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

It's our real riding season here- I rode about 24 miles on Veteran's Day to Saguaro NP and around the loop, commuted 22 miles round trip yesterday rode 28.5 miles today by myself on part of the El Tour de Tucson route. Tomorrow we'll do about 80 miles on the ending part of the route - then time to "taper" (like I really do that.... )
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143