Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: November Rides

November Rides

To disable ads, please log-in.

So, we have a pretty bad nor'easter predicted and the rain has already started. It's snowing up in Burlington, VT.
    Got up, and DH and I decided to beat the rain, after looking at the weather. In order to give ourselves motivation, we decided just do one of our usual weekday early AM loops, and stop at a café for breakfast on the way home. We actually had a pleasant ride, despite it being 41 and cloudy. Saw lots of other riders doing the same thing as we were. Had a nice Mediterranean breakfast sandwich and coffee, and then rode the 3.5 miles home, for a total of 14 miles. It was spritzing when we left after eating, but only briefly. However, the rain started in earnest about 45 minutes after we got home.
    DH spent an hour trying to adjust my Frog cleats on my winter shoes, so I don't fly out of the pedals unexpectedly. I know this has been an on going issue for a lot of people, and now it seems to be right. He also worked on my regular shoes I use with those pedals, but those were not as bad. I love my winter shoes, so now I can use them more. I expect to commute right up through the first snow, so it will be easier than shoes, booties, and sometimes chemical warmers.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I need to dig out my toe covers. 30 miles on the rail trail, it was chilly today, foggy, damp and cool, I never really did warm up today. I had two layers of tights, a winter jersey with a base layer, wool socks and a wool neck gaiter... It was in the low 50s most of the day, but felt colder. At least it wasn't raining. We are in for a bout of rainy days over the next few weeks I think. It might be dry tomorrow morning, so will take that opportunity while I can, maybe do 15 to 20 miles!
    "Don't go too fast, but I go pretty far"

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Did a grand total of 20 km.....wanted to squeeze in cycling, then produce / grocery shopping by bike to farmers' market and then, grocery store before first snow fell.

I was right --it snowed within 1 hr. after I got home.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

did the Independence ride today. This is a ride that follows the principles of Joey's shoes, for every Independence ride jersey purchased, a handicapped veteran rider gets a jersey. in addition to that, the funds raised go toward buying specialized wheelchairs and bikes for handicapped veterans.

we started out in the mid 50's and ended in the mid 60's/ Some pretty heavy (15-2 0 mph headwinds that shifted around to a quartering headwind by the time we headed back. So inspiring
    to pass a group of blind veterans riding with partners, and several hand cranked bikes. Aside from the cold it was sunny.

all in all we did 42 miles in 2:45 which was not too bad considering the wind.
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

Quote Originally Posted by marni View Post
    did the Independence ride today. This is a ride that follows the principles of Joey's shoes, for every Independence ride jersey purchased, a handicapped veteran rider gets a jersey. in addition to that, the funds raised go toward buying specialized wheelchairs and bikes for handicapped veterans.

we started out in the mid 50's and ended in the mid 60's/ Some pretty heavy (15-2 0 mph headwinds that shifted around to a quartering headwind by the time we headed back. So inspiring
    to pass a group of blind veterans riding with partners, and several hand cranked bikes. Aside from the cold it was sunny.

all in all we did 42 miles in 2:45 which was not too bad considering the wind.
    Marni, that ride and that cause sound awesome.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Sometimes I need to be in a place that’s good for my soul, a place to clear my mind, bring me peace, ignite my creativity, give me clarity and lets me be still, feel calm and be connected to nature. Joshua Tree National Park is one of my magical spiritual heavens to bike, hike and climb in......to just be

Last edited by rebeccaC; 11-03-2014 at 11:14 AM.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

rebeccaC - those photos are beautiful! Thank you for sharing them!

I did a short ride today. It's been a few years since I've done much cold (or cool) weather riding (have mostly ridden the trainer), so I'm having to re-learn what clothing works and what doesn't. Thin top and a jacket, plus tights, gloves and a helmet cover was too much for 50 degrees today. Also forgot how much slower I am (or feel) when it's cold and windy. SO glad to get outside, though!
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Rebecca C, loved your photos. I grew in southern California and sent some time out there. We camped there in June en route to northern California from Arizona. It was gorgeous and we did a short ride from the Cottonwood campground .

My ride this weekend was in the only 90 minute space I could carve out between other activities- I rode up to Saguaro NP, around the 8 mile loop and back home - 24 miles total. It was a little windy but the wind blew me up the hill to the park and didn't slow me down so much coming home. Fall finally got here with some cooler temps.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

thanks blueberry, azfiddle thanks and we rode from the Hidden Valley campground to Quail Springs, Keys View and Jumbo Rocks and climbed in Hidden Valley. Had some beautiful storm clouds on Saturday too. I didn’t want to leave this afternoon….
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to

rebeccaC, those photos are simply amazing. Yes, thank you for sharing.
    2014 Surly Straggler
    2012 Salsa Casseroll - STOLEN

Nice photos, RebeccaC! Are you setting up a rope for the next team in that one shot?
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Those are beautiful photos. I'm jealous of the non Mordor-like weather.
    Sunday I accompanied DH to Marymoor park for his third Cyclocross race. I did a quick zip up the Sammamish River Trail to Bothell and back on the recumbent while he warmed up for the race. Lots of trail walkers and sunday drivers who suddenly became sprinters when they noticed the fat lady on the funny bike was about to pass. Made them eat my dust anyway and arrived back to the park just in time for the rain to set in and to watch Dh do some fun slipping and sliding in the mud. Makes me want to do it some day...

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2009 Specialized Tricross
    2012 Trek Mamba

Thanks lauraelmore and VeganBikeChick

Lph, thanks…..she and a couple of her friends were starting their climbs after we had finished that route.

Just finished my early morning annual birthday ride. It was predicted to be between 33 and 36 degrees, so I wore my winter cycling jacket, a thermal jersey, and a LS base layer. Of course, I got downstairs, and it was 41. Sometimes it is warmer at my house, on the top of the hill, than in town, but I didn't notice a difference. I had to unzip about halfway through my 13 mile ride. Very pleasant, though slow, as I'm just not warmed up and it is cold, despite being warm from my clothing. Now that it's no longer Daylight Savings Time, the sky was light, though not completely when I got back.
    A good start to a very long day. I am seeing clients from 9-7, then going to a friend's house for dinner. Now, I have to get my azz in gear, so I can go vote before work.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Happy Birthday, Crankin! Sounds like a perfect way to start the day!
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...