Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Muirenn….there are waterbased, non toxic and no voc acrylic paints/markers used for graffiti. From the photos that looks like what Nocket used. Removal can be the problem Nocket should have had in mind...among other things

I think my generation (Y, millennium whatever) saw artistic graffiti/street art overcome the gang graffiti that freaked out older people. It was also fused with the hip-hop music of my generation. For me it was/is just about knowing and interacting with the neighborhoods where the art form lives on.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I don't see that way rebeccaC, because the graffiti art that I've seen looks permanently damaging..meaning it doesn't wash off just like that in the rain. Calling in paid staff, is very expensive to remove the stuff: they have other work...for a rapidly growing city like ours....there are other areas in need of beautification from ground level up because of decades of surbaban sprawl. I will be honest, I work for a municipality and we go to great lengths to figure out ways to protect outdoor mural public art from being graffitied.

Some great cycling-inspired outdoor public art carefully planned and painted by volunteer community groups in Vancouver have been subjected to graffiti. I don't appreciate it as an art lover. The artists who were commissioned by the city spent hrs. designing and preparing the wall surfaces, plus painting.

On a section of this outdoor mural art by a popular bike-ped path in Calgary, see the fine details of mapping? It's gone now. Because someone graffitied over it. So the city had to scrub it off and the details are gone.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gis-painting-detail.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	106.6 KB 
ID:	17434

http://cyclewriteblog.wordpress.com/...river-calgary/ The piece is actually part of a bicycle theme. Coincidentally this morning, I was cycling by the art in the same area and marvelled that it had not been grafffitied much yet. Probably because there are some planted bushes..plus I believe the police do drive by this area several times a day.

We need to put ourselves in the shoes of the real visual artists who have been approved/commissioned to have their work for free viewing by public outdoors. Ask yourself, would you want a graffiti artist spray painting all over your work?

My attitude is not generational...it is simply about how we value public property that's open and free for viewing.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 10-25-2014 at 06:04 PM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I guess I see water based hybrid acrylic paints and markers made from plant oils and resins, plant dyes and natural binders with no ammonia or formaldehyde as pretty good alternatives to the list of heavy metals and other toxic ingredients in the acrylic, varnish and oil based paints your Columbia article listed as hazardous waste....which they are. For a young cousin's art projects I've bought very earth friendly paint products at art supply stores....the same child safe markers that it looks like Nocket used.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to

Most water based acrylic paints still have a polymer emulsion base, which is plastic. Those of us who use them are forever worrying about the best and least harmful way to dispose of leftover paint. They leave a footprint in the natural environment that is not benign. There ARE other earth-friendly paints with a corn starch base. But I would guess that is not what Nocket used since she did not say that. And I would argue that urban graffiti art--which I love and value--is different than contaminating protected national parks and wild ecosystems.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

We have an extremely effective Toxic Enforcement Act in my state. A paint/marker with any EPA hazardous waste or health danger ingredient needs to have a warning label and those ingredients need to be listed on the products Material Data Safety Sheet. That includes the EPA’s RCRA 8 list of elements that are in pigments and where the most toxicity can be if indeed the water based acrylic has them. That actually was done in large part for paint/marker use in education environments.

In one photo it looks like Nocket is using a Liquitex marker which has a number of them with no listed hazardous wastes or RCRA 8 elements and have CL and AP seals verifying accurate toxicological evaluation and accurate labeling.

In Washington state only oil based paints are considered hazardous waste for disposal purposes. They suggest you let water based paint, acrylic, latex etc. dry out and dispose it as a solid waste into your regular trash. Oregon’s great product stewardship program accepts any water based or oil based paint into it’s statewide facilities for recycling/disposal.

How about I say (like protection during sex) safer not safe…........and geezzz i'm not an advocate for graffiti in national parks.

Perhaps i'm just less upset about it as some who have posted in this thread, especially with the generational blame.....you can't begin to compare this to the selfish destruction laid upon the planet over the past 60 years by my previous generations
    Last edited by rebeccaC; 10-27-2014 at 10:39 AM.

One of my favorite street art sites: http://www.streetartutopia.com/
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

nice site i bookmarked it....thanks

a couple of my favorites....for a global view

the street spot has some interesting posts and great list of links

and 50mm for my local inspiration

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    What was she thinking? It takes some very poor judgment to graffiti in national parks to begin with, let alone post the evidence online! I hope she is made to clean it up...while it may be "art", it is certainly not in the appropriate place. Who wants to see that kind of thing in what is supposed to be a natural environment? I would even be irritated if I saw something like the chalk work somebody upthread described in Glacier NP...I know it is temporary but it spoils the wilderness atmosphere IMHO. It would be a different story in a city park.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

leaving a mark in the wilderness is just not acceptable. No matter what is said or how its done. IT IS SIMPLY VERY WRONG!

Just because someone call it an art doesn't make it so.

Who wants to see that kind of thing in what is supposed to be a natural environment? I would even be irritated if I saw something like the chalk work somebody upthread described in Glacier NP...I know it is temporary but it spoils the wilderness atmosphere IMHO.
    +1 for jolt.

If you want to do graffitis, why don't you do it on your own walls at home? Not that I don't like it, but not everywhere, and at any cost. Even if it is art, it can be seen as "pollution". True some are beautifully done.

Montreal spent 3.5M$ to clean up graffitis last year. It is illegal to do any but still and fines are hefty if caught but people still do it.

Montréal has decided to invest in the creation of artistic murals, in collaboration with several different partners. 73 murals have been created since 2007 by Montréal artists, under the initiative of the Propreté (cleanliness) division, the service in charge of beautifying the city. Most have been in collaboration with the organization Mu.

Quote Originally Posted by Helene2013 View Post
    Montréal has decided to invest in the creation of artistic murals, in collaboration with several different partners. 73 murals have been created since 2007 by Montréal artists, under the initiative of the Propreté (cleanliness) division, the service in charge of beautifying the city. Most have been in collaboration with the organization Mu.
    Helene Fleuty who did some of the remarkable trompe-l'oeil murals in Quebec did some for MU in Montreal. The Fresque des Quebecois and Petit-Champlain murals in Vieux-Quebec are two of my all time favorites.
    Last edited by rebeccaC; 10-26-2014 at 10:19 PM.

I love artistic murals that are created with public and government support. There are also countries where extraordinary pieces of street art serve as vehicles for public protest and political speech where these things cannot otherwise occur without enormous risk---conditions that most of us have never had to contend with. Egypt in recent years and Brazil just before the World Cup are two places that come to mind, although there are many more. I won't post the images here but if you google those country names and "graffiti", you will see hugely compelling, beautiful, painful commentary on how people are living.

When I think of those things in contrast to the self-indulgent acts of Casey Nocket, it makes me more than a little sick.

Please!!! For anyone as appalled by this vandalism as I am - consider signing my friend's petition to the White House for the stiffest penalties available to this person: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...np-nm/1y8xJBGm
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    I keep wondering who took the pictures. She wasn’t traveling alone. Doesn’t look like it anyway.
    Hmmmm. Good point. They don't have that selfie look. While infuriated by this act whether for the bad art, the damage to our precious outdoors or both I hope we let due process take it's course. Put away that pitch fork. I mainly brought this up for the debate on the issue and as always here, it's an interesting one.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Looks like NPS has officially named Casey Nocket as a suspect.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...er-5856747.php

I don't know how reliable this source is, but the author claims to have spoken with Nocket's family, and has some interesting comments from an NPS spokesperson.

http://trailmob.com/lifestyle/articl...m-investigatio
    Last edited by PamNY; 10-31-2014 at 04:57 PM.