Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I thought I was sick of working until I stopped working.
    This.

When DH and I got together, with his lifestyle, the only work I'd have been able to do is the kind that I'd spend tied to computers, but what I really loved about my work was the part where I was face to face with my clients. There were other complications, too, that made it much easier for me to just retire. I never really wanted to, and at this point it's too late to go back unless I were to go back to school again. But, lack of continuity would still be a huge issue. Lots of things would have to change for me to be able to go back to work, and I'm just not sure I have the energy for all those changes - moving, selling two houses, convincing DH of it, school.

Not working really saps one's energy. Seems counterintuitive, but it's true.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I am so so so happy that I was able to retire at age 50. Had also worked since age 15 (12 if you count paid babysitting jobs!) and was just so read to get out of the commuting traffic grind, always doing what someone else wanted me to do (rather than what I wanted to do), constantly shifting and changing priorities, and adapting to ever-faster-changing technology (I too was a software developer). I loved MOST of the people I worked with but had been very tired of the general work environment, low morale, more work with fewer people, constant fear of layoffs and seeing so many good people and friends get the ax for over a decade before I was finally able to say "Buh-bye".

I miss some of my co-workers (though most of them are no longer "there" either), but have never missed the politics, meetings, commuting/traffic, and other junk that went with my role. I know I'm fortunate and am very grateful that I am financially able to do this. We never were able to have children and because of that, and investing as much as humanly possible in the early years, DH and I are able to have a comfortable (though not lavish) early retired lifestyle, travel, and do what we want to do, not what someone else decides we should be doing. We are truly blessed.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I've worked full time since about '76 and with da' phone company since '95. I lost all seniority when I moved to Seattle and took a deep cut in pay. But on January 22 2018 I should get all my seniority back that is if I can stand the micromanagement, rule bound, negativity, extremely unhealthy sedentary job till then.

At that time I'll be eligible for a full pension and may say see ya later. I'd love to do something else.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Shooting Star, I have done a lot of volunteer work with non-profits. I absolutely loved being on the board of the JCC in Tempe, AZ. I ran a few large events, in addition to teaching fitness classes (paid) there, while my kids went to preschool. Then, when I moved here, I threw myself into volunteering at my synagogue. Bleh. After the 1 millionth discussion of what we should serve at an event and dealing with people who had no clue, I stopped cold turkey... I even quit being president of the school board for religious school in the middle of the year as it was upsetting me so much.
    My volunteering now consists of leading rides for the AMC and presenting at the Bike Workshop every spring. I really enjoy this, but I have cut down on the number of rides I lead. When it starts to feel like a job, it's too much. I wouldn't be adverse to doing different types of volunteering for them as I cut down my work even more.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Trek - I suggested to my honey this morning that when her telecommuting contract is done (1-2 years from May 2015), we should load up a van and hit the road for six months to a year. We would be existing on our tiny little pensions, but what an adventure; she was thrilled with the idea!

Electra Townie 7D

I've been lucky that I've had a great (most of the time) job for 25 years. But I am tired. And so I'll be retiring next week and heading off to Norway for a short trip! I'm not quite 50. I plan to take time off to myself and then figure out what I want to do. I can't see sitting around doing nothing, so I hope to work or volunteer a couple of day a week, explore new hobbies, and since winter's approaching, maybe get some of those projects done around the house.
    I've worked shifts and weekends for my entire career and feel I've missed out on a lot. Time to start living.

I am also a teacher and wish I could see a clear way to at least re-direct my career. I would love to move out of the classroom and into science curriculum work or some kind of environmental field (I also have my MS in Ecology) but I don't see a way clear to do that. I accumulated the 80 points (age plus years of service) to retire last year. I took advantage of an opportunity to officially "retire" and get my pension, but continue working and get paid by a contractor. The company takes 10%. So I am getting a paycheck and the pension and am hoping to get all of our debts paid in the next 2-3 years. We have erased all of our credit card debt and expect to pay off the car in January or February. Then it's just the house....

I wish my district would consider a science curriculum position but they are just focused on math and reading because that is where the state testing is focused. Maybe if Arizona adopts the Next Generation Science Standards.....

Crankin- I am nowhere near 70k here after 23 years in the classroom. We can earn money for extra curricular activities and home visits to students, which adds a little (about $2500 this year I think).

But actual retirement from the classroom will hopefully give me a chance to find something part time or different.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

California still has a state science test at 5th grade. Unfortunately, very little of our time goes to teaching science in elementary school. Our house will be paid off in April and we have no other debt. I'd love to go part time, but that would mean a reduction in our travel funds and Thom only gets 5 weeks of vacation time a year. He still likes his job and it's a good gig. I'm too young to actually retire, only going to be 48 this year. Most of the job I still really love. Our population has changed greatly and now we have several foster kids at our school. I have compassion for these kids, but they have a whole host of issues that we're just not equipped to deal with. The general ed kids seem less able to problem solve and have a whole slew of social issues themselves. They can't or don't think. They give up far too easily. I hate to sound like an old grump but I don't know what's wrong with kids these days. Actually I have some ideas - Ten year olds watching The Walking Dead? I have at least 1/5 of my class of 25 watching it. So inappropriate... Many parents don't parent in my school.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    Quote Originally Posted by VeganBikeChick View Post
    I, too, have been working since age 14. That's 24 years of work for me now. I'm very tired of being a nurse. Long hours, no autonomy, often very thankless, and most of the time I feel like a glorified servant/waitress. I'm too young to feel this way! So over the summer I enrolled in grad school to study as a family nurse practitioner. Tons of autonomy, better hours, and I won't have to work any more nights, weekends or holidays. Hoping these two years pass quickly. Hugs to everyone else not enjoying their jobs.
    Congratulations on going for NP! It's really a great job. I am an acute care NP and work on the inpatient side so I do work my share of nights, weekends and holidays but as an FNP working in a clinic you will most likely have normal hours. And, I really can't complain about my schedule either...I work 7 days on/7 days off (this is pretty typical for hospitalist groups) so I end up having lots of time to do other things including taking a trip out of town if I want during my week off. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Thanks so much for the offer, Jolt! I'm very excited to be in the program, and glad I have a brain I can pick for questions relating to my practice.
    2014 Surly Straggler
    2012 Salsa Casseroll - STOLEN

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    Trek - I suggested to my honey this morning that when her telecommuting contract is done (1-2 years from May 2015), we should load up a van and hit the road for six months to a year. We would be existing on our tiny little pensions, but what an adventure; she was thrilled with the idea!
    Good idea. I've made an appointment with a financial planner to see if I can retire from Ma Bell in 2018. Would like to keep working till I'm 67 but do something, most anything low stress. Knott's younger than I am so will have to work longer. At 67 I'd have pension, social security if it still is there (probably will be) a little invested and should be good. I'd get higher social security if I can wait to take it till then. So I may have a few years with pension and some manner of part time work till at full retirement it's pension and ss.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

We are about 2.5 years out from retiring as teachers. We have worked really hard to pay off our house and live debt free. I can't go until I turn 55, but I still love my job, so it is ok. We teach at two neighboring schools, 10 miles apart. It might as well be a million miles apart. My school is AWESOME. Great admin, strong union, great kids. My hubby, not so much. So we will go when we can.
    I lost both parents to cancer before they were 70. From where we are sitting, that is looking pretty darn close. It has made us very aware of how precious time is, and we want to go and do while we are still very fit and active. I still think at some point I may want a part time gig. I have a feeling there is a second career lurking in there somewhere. Hopefully it will not involved spending 6 hours a weekend grading papers!

If you enjoy what you are doing, then the drudgery of work is just not there. I lost my job four years ago. At my age and payscale, there is no way I would find another job. "Besides, its that well you are woman..." fill in the blank. They don't say it, but you get a feeling its there. That "you've got a man to take care of you so you really don't need a job kind of thing" NO! I never remarried. Once was enough.

I'm not bitter about it. I was really happy and really sad that I lost my high paying job. It took sometime to pick up the pieces. I still have my days of doubt. I worried most of my working life that eventually I would lose my job, so I squirreled away as much as I could. Didn't go on a Safari, or buy a new car every two years or go on an annual vacay to Europe (never been there). Lucky I saved all those years.

So just recently, I was able to buy a farm. Hope to make a modest income from it. Farm has a house on it too so now I have two houses and all paid for. I don't have a pension and not sure what social security will be when I reach the magic number. It keeps going up. Anyway, I always loved gardening and it just got out of hand so I don't see "working" on a farm as work. It's something I've wanted to do for a long time. No terrible commute. I'm okay with getting soaking wet from the rain in the cold. Roasted from the hot sun in middle of the summer. My worries these days is will I make it in vegetable (row crop) farming? Running a truck farm aka market farm.

I hope my magic touch of pulling a rabbit out of a hat continues. I've always had a knack of the magic trick in the past. (roll in a pile of poo and still come out smelling like rose is what one of my co-worker said about me) Some of my vision has been disturbing and others fascinating.

So when did I start work? My father said, your work is to excel in school. That was my #1 priority growing up. This was told to me when I was around 12 or 13. No baby sitting job for me. Then it was my job to get into one of the top uni then grad school. Because of it, I'm not suffering financially now.

Smilingcat, I'm glad to hear you say that. It was starting to sound like the stress and doubt of starting up your farm was getting overwhelming. I sure wish you the best of luck with it. Though, when it comes to vegetables, putting rabbits back IN hats might be a better magic trick!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

We told our kids their work was school, too, but, we also made them get small part time jobs. Believe me, in our affluent area, they were outliers. It paid off for both of them. Very few kids today have any work experience of the labor type variety, experience with budgeting, or knowing how to handle a bank account. They both started babysitting at age 11-12, after taking the Red Cross course. Both were teacher assistants at Hebrew School (paid) starting at age 13, for a couple of years. Older son worked at Rite Aid for one year, and then was a barista through his last 2 years of HS and college. He painted houses for 2 summers in college. Younger son worked at the LBS for a year and then the natural foods grocery store in town in HS.Somehow, that was enough to prepare him for the military!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport