Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

What bike for the Hiawatha trail (dirt/gravel)

To disable ads, please log-in.

The Hiawatha trail in ID/MT has long been on our bucket list. For those unfamiliar, it is a 15 mile dirt/ gravel rail trail. 2% grade with some awesome tunnels and tressels.

Of course DH and I could always rent mountain bikes near the trail head, but really, researching the next great bike is so much more fun!

Soooo, since we have our carbon road bikes (Luv them), what would be a good all around bike to compliment them? I don't see us ever getting in to mountain biking, but always wanted to try some gravel, packed dirt. It would be nice if this could double as a winter bike in case we get caught out in the NW rain, with tires that could handle the winter road debris.

Someone here mentioned the Salsa Vaya for one reason or another and after checking into it, I'm wondering what you ladies might think. Also, would a cross be a better fit? No intentions of touring at this time, but again I never would have pictured me as a roady either! Cycling is an ever evolving adventure!

And speaking of fit, I'm 5'1" and way closer to my 60 birthday than my 50th! Possibly time for the triple? Not too heavy a bike either.

Ok ladies, what do I (we) NEED?
    2011 Specialized Ruby Comp
    2015 Giant Liv Tempt 3

Jealous, we have yet to make it up to that trail but have several customers who have. Big range of bikes but agree the carbon road bikes would not enjoy it. Quite a few people ride a hybrid on that trail as it is railroad bed - we of course, would recommend touring bikes Agreed that having a Salsa Vaya, A Surly Cross Check or Straggler or a Surly LHT (not just for touring) or a Disc Trucker would be perfect for what you are thinking. A supple wider tire (40mm ish) will do wonders on that trail. Plus then you would have a bike you wouldn't be afraid to go have adventures on.

Don't forget to have REALLY decent lighting. We have heard from more than one that good lighting is the key to a successful ride.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Oh my!! When are you planning to go Smitty? How fun, planning a great bike trip AND shopping for a new adventure bike! I'm sure you'll get lots of great advice. I have a Jamis Aurora Elite I bought at Free Range Cycle a few years ago, and it does really well on hard pack gravel and rough surfaces. I also use it for commuting and some of our light tours (longest has been four days). It handles heavy loads really well. Not sure how small they make their frames though.

Good luck!
    "Don't go too fast, but I go pretty far"

Sky King has good suggestions for bikes. Cross, Mountain or any bike with a fatter tire/more tread is good.
    I will underscore lights. The two mile long tunnel gets very, very, dark and very, very cold. Do not think you can ride in your partner's light beam. It doesn't work very well. Headlamps or a bar mounted light are good. I've ridden it several times if you need other thoughts.
    FWIW, we never use the shuttle. We always go down and back.
    From what I've head the rental bikes aren't that great, more like comfort bikes that mountain bikes.

Some people combine a visit to the Hiawatha Trail with the Trail of the Coeur d'Alenes.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Quote Originally Posted by AppleTree View Post
    Oh my!! When are you planning to go Smitty? How fun, planning a great bike trip AND shopping for a new adventure bike! I'm sure you'll get lots of great advice. I have a Jamis Aurora Elite I bought at Free Range Cycle a few years ago, and it does really well on hard pack gravel and rough surfaces. I also use it for commuting and some of our light tours (longest has been four days). It handles heavy loads really well. Not sure how small they make their frames though.

Good luck!
    We both have Soma Buena Vista's from Freerange. It's a great bike! I'm 5'0 and enjoy the fit, step through. The bike has a surprisingly nimble, fast, feel. It's very light. If I wanted to thin the stable down to one bike this is the one I'd keep. Light and fast enough for road rides, accepts fat tires and fenders, brazen ons for touring and commutes. Added benefit, it just makes people smile.

Knott took everything off of her Surly cross check and transplanted it to the Buena Vista frame. Result was a much faster bike.

I also got the Vaya and love that. But try a Soma!
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Thanks ladies, now let the exploring begin! We are hoping to go next summer. We like to get over to the panhandle
    every year or two. It is so beautiful! We take the travel trailer to Farragut State Park for a week. We also went to Heyburn State park two years ago, as it is right along the CDA trail.

Thanks for the advice on lights and jackets in the tunnel. I'm thinking maybe one on each bike and maybe one on each helmet.

Of course we will hit the Trail of the Couer D'Alenes again. DH is ever on the look out for moose!
    2015 Giant Liv Tempt 3

Well we ended up with Giant hard tail mountain bikes. DH got the Talon 2, I got the Tempt 2 (women's version). Will be visiting the Hiawatha trail next weekend. We also picked up handlebar mounted headlamps. Not sure if we need helmet mounted lights also. Had to go to River City Cycle in Portland to find me a small size bike. What an incredible selection, very helpful.

Very excited, but feel a bit unfaithful to my Ruby!
    2015 Giant Liv Tempt 3

Or take a headlamp that you can put around your helmet but also use in camp, etc. We finally put the trail on our calendar for the end of September. We are taking the touring bikes - Gilles Bertoud and Rivendell, we have dyno hubs and some fantastic lights. Look forward to hearing about your adventure!
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

You lucky people! I rode that trail on a trashed rental 2 years ago. We picked up at the ski resort, but the brakes were only fair and I had a bent rim. The trail marshals soon fixed me up, great people . You can rent lights too but getting your own would be better - especially if on a helmet. The light I had on my bike was inadequate and I couldn't see anything that wasn't straight ahead. The galumphing deer that came out of the darkness was Le Surprise Gran, to say the least!

Mountain bikes sound good. I'd also tackle it on a decent hybrid with good tires. A road bike might be squirrely on the gravel. It's wet in the tunnels.

My hub wants to try it again, uphill, no bus transfer. On a good bike. Mmmmaybe!

It's super easy to pedal back up the trail....at most it's a 3% grade.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Trek420 View Post
    We both have Soma Buena Vista's from Freerange. It's a great bike! I'm 5'0 and enjoy the fit, step through. The bike has a surprisingly nimble, fast, feel. It's very light. If I wanted to thin the stable down to one bike this is the one I'd keep. Light and fast enough for road rides, accepts fat tires and fenders, brazen ons for touring and commutes. Added benefit, it just makes people smile.

Knott took everything off of her Surly cross check and transplanted it to the Buena Vista frame. Result was a much faster bike.

I also got the Vaya and love that. But try a Soma!
    +1 on looking at soma....the double cross too if you don't want a step through. the double cross can go up to 35c tires for dirt/gravel
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron