Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

New Bike Advice Please :)

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hello.. I've found your forum whilst doing research regarding purchasing a new bike. I've just starting riding and am keen to buy a "real bike" and explore the trails all around my area.
    After much reading and research I've found 2 bikes in my price range and am leaning towards the Trek but its not actually available in Australia until late December so I cant find any reviews, im hoping you US girls may have had a chance to check it out. Here are the bikes I'm looking at, any advice/input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much guys, no matter how much you read/research there's nothing better than recommendations and advice from people in the know!

Giant Tempt 1 Specifications:

Sizes XS, S, M
    Colour Navy Blue
    Frame ALUXX grade aluminium
    Fork Fox Float 32 RL Evo, 100mm travel
    Handlebar Giant Connect XC rise, 31.8mm
    Stem Giant Connect, 8 degree
    Seat Post Giant Connect, 30.9mm
    Saddle Giant Connect Upright
    Shifters Shimano Deore, 20sp
    Front Derailleur Shimano Deore, 34.9mm
    Rear Derailleur Shimano XT Shadow
    Brakes Shimano M355 hydraulic, 160mm
    Brake Levers Shimano M355
    Cassette Shimano HG-50, 11-36T, 10sp
    Chain KMC X10
    Crankset Shimano Deore, 24-38T
    Bottom Bracket Shimano sealed
    Rims Giant S-XC, double wall
    Hubs Giant Tracker Sport Disc, 32H
    Spokes Stainless steel, 14g
    Tyres Schwalbe Rapid Rob, 27.5 x 2.25"

Price: $1599.00au

Trek Cali SLX 2015

Brakes Shimano M447 hydraulic disc
    Cassette Shimano HG50, 11-36, 10 speed
    Crankset Race Face Ride, 36/22
    Frame Alpha Platinum Aluminium, butted & hydroformed tubing, E2 tapered head tube, internal cable routing, press fit BB, balanced post mount, Closed Convert dropouts, G2 Geometry on 29ers Front Derailleur Shimano Deore
    Front Tyre Bontrager XR1 Expert, Tubeless Ready, aramid bead, 29x2.20"" (Bontrager XR2 Expert, Tubeless Ready,
    Grips ESI Racer's Edge
    Handlebar Bontrager Low Riser, 31.8mm, 5mm rise
    Headset FSA IS-2, E2, alloy cartridge
    Rear Derailleur Shimano Deore XT
    Rear Shock RockShox Reba RL, Solo Air spring, rebound, Motion Control remote lockout, E2 ta
    Rear Tyre Bontrager XR1 Expert, Tubeless Ready, aramid bead, 29x2.20"" (Bontrager XR2 Expert, Tubeless Ready,
    Saddle Bontrager Evoke 1.5 WSD
    Seatpost Bontrager Alloy, 2-bolt head, 27.2mm, 8mm offset
    Shifters Shimano Deore, 10 speed Stem Bontrager Race Lite, 31.8mm, 7 degree
    Tyres Bontrager XR1 Expert, Tubeless Ready, aramid bead, 29x2.20"" (Bontrager XR2 Expert, Tubeless Ready,

Price: $1699au
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tempt1bu.jpg 
Views:	437 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	17426   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trek_cali.jpg 
Views:	862 
Size:	138.8 KB 
ID:	17427  

My main thought is that these are 2 totally different bikes. One is a 27.5 and the other is a 29'er. When you go downhill and make turns, which feels more comfortable. Even though the Trek is not out yet, you really should demo a 27.5 vs. a 29er going uphills and downhills, not in a flat parking lot. They should feel different.

If you still cannot decide and both of them "feel the same" to you, then I would pick based on color.
    2014 Liv Lust
    2013 Specialized Fate Expert with carbon wheelset (sold)
    2012 Specialized Amira Elite
    2010 Santa Cruz Juliana with R kit and Crampon pedals (sold)

2011 Specialized Ariel Sport,suspension post,Serfas Rx Women's Microfiber saddle (sold)

You don't say your size, but based on my experience as a coach, smaller women are not loving their 29ers. Fit is foremost.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Hi guys, thanks for your replies, unfortunetly I haven't had a chance to demo either, Giants next demo in my area isn't until November. I'm 167cm tall so from what I've read I should be ok with the 29ers. I had a look at the giant instore today and the paint work in UGLY

I think I'm going to go with the Trek, I've taken a mates bike for a few rides with 29ers and managed it ok. I'm hoping once it hit Aussie shores my LBS will have a Demo model.

I have posted several long rants about my love of my 27.5 on this forum. I had a 29er and went to 27.5. Best move I ever made. Three women in my area that are all top level racers just ditched their 29er's and went to 27.5. I think you should consider it. The 27.5 is a dream.

My new Intrigue is 27.5 and I love it.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Yep, they are awesome....

I am 5'2 and feel overwhelmed by at 29er. While it is a little more work to get over some of the big stuff, I feel like I have a lot more control with the smaller wheels. I mean it is all a matter of personal preference so make sure you try everything out before you buy.
    Last edited by crc; 10-22-2014 at 11:11 AM.

I realize this thread is 7 months old, but I just wanted to share that the 2015 Trek Cali SLX uses Trek's smart sizing. Which means the 13.5" and 15.5" frames have 27.5" wheels and the 17" and 18.5" have the 29ers.

Curious which bike you ended up going with original poster? and what size did you end up with if you got the Cali?