Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Otcenas View Post
    A couple random thoughts, in no particular order... :-)
    To get to the nearest grocery store, which is 1 mile away, I have to cross no fewer than THREE unsignalized freeway on or off ramps. In each direction. One of those crossings requires me to merge and cross over a lane of traffic that is exiting the freeway at 45 miles an hour or so. It's dangerous enough that a camera crew from a local news station came out and filmed me doing it for the evening news. Skip ahead to minute 4 of the video at this link to see me on the news talking about this crossing. https://btaoregon.org/2013/09/brookw...should-fix-it/ Riding a bike one flat mile to the grocery store should be a piece of cake. But with "facilities" like these, it's no wonder that the use of bicycles for transportation or daily utility trips is a vanishingly small percentage of trips. Hell, even *I* nearly always take the car.

That video shows some scary cycling conditions. I hope you can get something done about it.

It is pretty doggone scary, but a lot of what I meant about "not one United States" is that those kinds of crossings are completely normal in probably most towns that have limited access roads going through them - ALL of them that I'm aware of. And they're often the only way to get from point A to point B, even for those of us who have the time and energy to go two or five miles out of the way, doing that would just put us at another crossing just like it.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler