Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roctober Rides

To disable ads, please log-in.

Emily you gotta start posting your itinerary before you get to places. I would have loved to get together when you were in CA.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Took my first ride since getting back from my trip. First time I've felt that going on a tour didn't make me stronger. I don't feel weaker, just the same... it's cool, about 50 when we started, with a stiff breeze, with gusts up to about 20 mph once in awhile. It was partly cloudy when we started, then it got sunny, then back to some clouds. At one point DH's Garmin said it was 47, which is probably true on some of the shady roads we were on. We just took it slowly, until the end, where we ticked up the speed once we got within about 7 miles of home.
    The fall foliage is just about at peak and is just beautiful this year. I savored every minute, as fall is my favorite season. Riding from now until the snow flies will be just for fun. I am going to do my birthday ride next weekend, since DH will be away the Sunday before my birthday. This year, though, I will plan the route, with no dirt roads for my skinny tires.
    22 miles.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Oh, Rebecca! I LOVE your photos--especially, the one you gave a vintage look!

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    Did you take I-80 to SLC? It's quite a drive. There's a 50-mile stretch that is completely straight, and the salt flats are like another planet. And at the state line, the difference between Wendover, NV and Wendover, UT is striking.
    Indeed we did take I-80 and saw the salt flats for the first time. Fascinating drive! Blogged it:

http://travelingtwosome.weebly.com/t...lake-city-utah
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    Emily you gotta start posting your itinerary before you get to places. I would have loved to get together when you were in CA.

Veronica
    We didn't make it any closer to the Bay Area than Redding, though. I know there are several TEers in the Bay Area but didn't think there were any in Redding. Typically we have such a short time in places we visit that unless we have old friends there we can make plans with ahead of time, it's just too much to try to meet new people, especially being the introverts we are. We can only handle so much social time, and if we only have one full day in a place, we prefer not to throw socializing into the mix. We do enjoy visiting with friends when the opportunity arises (as it did in Portland, Salt Lake City, and Durango on this trip), though!
    Emily

Quote Originally Posted by CAS View Post
    Oh, Rebecca! I LOVE your photos--especially, the one you gave a vintage look!
    Rebecca takes the most amazing photos!

Rebecca, if you are not a professional photographer, I am surprised. You certainly could be!
    Emily

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Really nice, Emily. I find it interesting that all of these places have bike trails that you can ride for miles. We have nothing like that around here.
    This really reminds me that I have seen very little of this country.
    I feel you! The more we see of the US, the more we realize that we still haven't seen. Still, it's been amazing seeing SO MUCH more of it since returning from Belize in March 2013. We have now visited all the states in the US except Alaska. Strangely, our 49th state was Arkansas, of all things. We'd been above it and below it, but never through it! We spent a couple of nights in Little Rock and rode the very nice river trail there, saw the Clinton Library (from the outside, ran out of time for a tour), etc. Even though we've crossed a lot of places off our bucket list, we've probably added at least as many as we travel around and learn about more places -- or find places we want to re-visit.
    Emily

Can't wait to read your blogs when I have a bit of time Emily!

I did almost 51 on the Centennial Trail again today. Last weekend I did great, this week was more tiring, but there was a stiff headwind going back south. Lots of riders out today and no wonder, it will probably be one of last days this year it will be in the 70s. Gorgeous day!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413781833.405460.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	17432

Oh, and I had a little hitchhiker!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413781889.231082.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	17433
    "Don't go too fast, but I go pretty far"

Somehow I've ridden about 400 miles this month and haven't posted anything! Last week I did three twenty-ish weekday rides (two "training" and one commute) plus a group ride on Saturday and an organized ride on Sunday.

The organized ride is the "Tumacacori Century", which mainly follows the Santa Cruz River valley south of Tucson toward Nogales. I had signed up to ride the full century Sunday, but my longest ride this fall was about 64, so I wasn't sure about jumping up to about 100 miles. I opted for the 71 mile length, which also meant I had a riding partner. Only the fast gals were doing the longest distance and at an average of around 14 mph, it would have been 8 hours or so, depending on rest stops. It was a good choice- I still had a something in the tank when I got back, and wasn't in the last 20 riders dragging into the parking lot. It's a nicely supported ride, with more options for snacks than a person can possibly sample, and sub sandwiches and a local Tucson treat- Eegee's frozen fruit slushies at the end of the ride.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Thanks AppleTree, CAS and Emily for the nice comments on the photos!!!!

Emily…..Thanks for the blog links!!
    We stopped to ride a few times on the northern California 101/1 on a trip back from Wa. a year ago.
    It's absolutely a magical road through Prairie Creek. I also posted some photos of the ride in the "Show your 2013 summer adventures" thread. Looking at that thread again I found Eden's photos of one of her rides up to Mt. Baker that inspired me to ride it when on a trip to Bellingham Wa. I couldn't remember who posted the photos......THANKS EDEN!!!!!!
    Last edited by rebeccaC; 10-21-2014 at 08:12 PM.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

I did an early morning ride this morning, something I haven't done in awhile. I'm still waking up at an ungodly hour (3-4 AM) from traveling, so I got out of bed at 4:30, and since it wasn't raining, decided on riding, instead of spin class. I always love riding early in the AM, but sadly, there are more people up and about now, as compared even 2 years ago. However, the first 15 minutes of the ride is always quiet, and I even saw another cyclist at my first intersection.
    I rode through Concord Center and came right back, so only 10.3 miles, but I felt like I was working hard. I have several versions of this ride and today I did the shortest and flattest. When I got back, I discovered I had jammed the zipper of the back pocket of my wind jacket; since my phone and wallet were in there, I had to work hard to try and get it unstuck. Unfortunately, I couldn't, so my choice was cut the jacket or rip the zipper apart, which I did. Since I won't be riding until the weekend, and it's going to be a bit warmer, I will be able to take it for repair and use other clothing combinations. It's going to rain for the next 4 days, of course during the days I actually have time to ride during the day.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Houston has been having a spell of perfect fall weather. Dry air, sun,and temps in the mid 60's raising to the high 80's by mid-afternoon a nd then cooling down.

I have been doing back to back rides but Saturday I did the Sealy (town name) Kiwanis Fall Classic also known as the "pie ride" since they serve pie at all the rest stops along with barbeque and St. Arnolds beer at the end. The terrain is flat to gently rolling and the traffic is pretty much non existent as it is farming country. A plenitude of press seal paving is about the only slight downer.

My riding buddy and I along with the SAG guy all started together a bit ahead of the start time. The Sag guy hasn't ridden for about 8 months as his current work schedule is 5:30 am to 7:00 pm and he spends the weekend trying to get caught up on energy and sleep. We rode slow and easy to the first rest stop, had a small slice of pie. I had the chocolate chip pecan pie which was sooo.. good. They had left the pecans a bit salty and used a semi sweet chocolate which cut the sweetness. SAG guy had the chocolate coconut cream which was also quite tasty since I had another slice at the turnaround. The apple pie that I had after lunch was also delicious.

At the first stop Sag Guy headed back and my riding buddy and I went on to ride another 46 miles for a total of 68 in 4:30 which is not too shabby for a couple of old ladies. The weather was picture perfect, mid 70's during the ride, full sun and little to now wind which is probably why our speed was relatively good.

The pie came from the Texas Star Cafe in New Ulm, Texas. I highly recommend it if you ever in the Houston vicinity around the last weekend in November. The added bonus was that it is a not very advertised local secret sort of ride and the total number of riders for Saturday was 350 riders.

Here's hoping thegood weather continues as I am actually clocking some great mileage on the bike.
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

I rode 32 miles yesterday, nothing special, but a ride that reminds me just how wonderful it is to ride right in my own area. We started out really, really slow, and sped up a little near the end, so I actually finished with an average not so much below what I do when trying to go fast. I feel like I've been riding for so long that now I'm starting to sound like my grandfather, always saying, "Remember when...?" as I ride by different places where stuff has happened.
    Today the weather was a little drizzly and blowing at 20 mph right when we wanted to go out and ride, so I went on a 4 mile hike instead. Of course, the rain stopped and the sun peeked out, but I'm good with that. The I went to the lBS and started the process for my new bike build.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

marni....i would have stopped at each rest stop

worked all weekend ....planning a ride in Joshua Tree NP with some friends for next weekend though and looking forward to it!!!!
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron