Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

The adventure begins

Been in Portugal for about 9 hours; flight was delayed a bit, but not horribly. Let's just say business class on Sata is not what I've experienced elsewhere. I had to beg for a glass of water! Anyway, it's a short flight from Boston, under 6 hrs. We spent all day walking along the main boulevards, down by the river, and up to the castle, which means steep freaking hills on cobbles. My feet are killing me. But, Lisbon is beautiful and friendly.
    We saw some people in cycling clothes in the lobby, who are with our company, but we think they may have done last week's trip. It was odd, they were in riding clothes, but had their bags and didn't look sweaty. Getting ready to go out for dinner with our friends who are traveling with us. I managed to stay up, I'm exhausted, but after tonight, my body clock will be reset. Tomorrow is a relaxation day, Monday we are touring a historical area outside Lisbon, and the cycling tour starts Tuesday with a walking tour.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Exciting! Have fun! Looking forward to your pictures and ride reports.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Beg for water on a six hour flight??? Yikes!!

Have a great time, sounds beautiful there. Jet lag is HARD the first day or two. I never knew that kind of exhaustion before we travelled to Europe. Have fun, safe travels!
    "Don't go too fast, but I go pretty far"

Have fun!!

- Gray Trek Madone 4.7 road bike, mystery crack in top tube repaired by Calfee, Bontrager Affinity RXL saddle
    - Red Trek 6000 mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver Trek 2000 road bike
    - Two awesome and worn out Juliana saddles

Looking forward to your ride reports. We will all live through you! Enjoy.
    2011 Specialized Ruby Comp
    2015 Giant Liv Tempt 3

Day one of riding
    Yesterday we met the group at 2:30 and after introductions, headed out for a 3 hour walking tour. Everyone seems ok, a bit of a different group than when I went to Spain with this company. After this, we headed to dinner with our friends. Got back, got re packed after 5 days, got my cycling clothes out and finally got a good night's sleep. Woke up nice early, ate, and started praying that it wouldn't rain. The van drove us to our destination, and it did rain a bit on the road, but was ok when we arrived. Then, the bike set up began. Got my pedals and saddle on the Trek Madone 3 series and I rode up and down the hill to the castle we are staying at. I have to say, I have never been on a bike that fits so well, and I had the precursor to this bike about 10 years ago. Hmm... A new bike may be in my future.
    I took off my rain gear and off we went. We rode 18 miles to the lunch stop, flat to rolling, with a vicious headwind. It was a bit more tiring than I thought it would be, but we were the second to arrive. Had a great sandwich and then took off for the beach, about 4k. It was gorgeous. The scenery on the way was ok, mostly cork trees and cacti. This was a one way warm up ride, so we headed back in the van, although a couple of people rode back. We wanted to get back and explore the town, which we did. Had a beer and walked back up the big hill, to the castle, where I am now waiting for dinner. It's raining out now, but was awesome today.
    Last edited by Crankin; 10-08-2014 at 10:40 AM.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura