Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Frozen salmon burgers stuck together please help

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am a single person living alone, and I have very limited time and skills for cooking. Recently I bought a package of frozen salmon burgers from Trader Joe's, thinking it would be a good way to add more healthy fish to my diet. The directions on the box say to keep them frozen until ready to cook them. The cooking options include grill, saute and microwave.

I opened the box today to prepare one of the patties for lunch. I find that they are packaged so that two patties are frozen solid together inside one sealed plastic bag. I cut open the plastic bag, but the patties are too frozen for me to pry them apart and cook one of them.

Does anyone know the secret to separating two patties that are frozen solid together so that one remains frozen and the other can be cooked by itself? There is a piece of paper between them but they are so frozen that the paper is no help in separating the patties.

I thought about trying to use a knife as a lever between the patties, but I figure either I will break the knife or cut myself, or just not be able to get the knife in between them.

Thanks!!!

p.s. boo to Trader Joe's for being biased against single people trying to prepare a meal for one!!

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

My solution: hold one patty firmly in hand, smash other patty against edge of counter so that they shear apart. It almost always works the first time.
    2011 Scott CX Team/Koobi Xenon
    2005 Bike Friday NWT/Selle Royal Lookin
    2001 Bianchi Giro/Terry Butterfly Ti
    1970s Centurion Le Mans/Ancient waffle saddle

See, I'd thaw and eat both, but that's just me.

My usual fix is to stick stubborn stuck stuff in the microwave for about 10 seconds or so, depending on how powerful your microwave is. You just want to melt the ice on the outside. The rest of the patties should stay frozen, depending on how big they are, then you can chuck one back in the freezer (I'd eat it soon, though!) and eat the other.

Also: TJ has salmon burgers? Awesome! (Means I don't have to make them myself!)
    Last edited by Owlie; 09-30-2014 at 12:46 PM.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I'd thaw them enough to separate them, then cook them both. Once cooked, they'll keep another couple of days.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I use a knife to separate veggie burgers that come packaged the same way. I find once you get the knife just a little ways down, you can kind of smack them apart.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I use a knife to separate veggie burgers that come packaged the same way. I find once you get the knife just a little ways down, you can kind of smack them apart.
    spatula but the same idea.

I'm sure if they were individually wrapped someone would be complaining about increased cost and waste in packaging. You can't win.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

I purchase really nice local grass fed beef patties that come frozen and packed in a stack that are stuck like that. I usually use a butter knife and a mallet… you don't have to hit the knife hard - just tap, tap, tap until the knife is between the patties about 1/3 of the way - then twist apart.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N