Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Installing new Gaterskins on my road bike.

To disable ads, please log-in.

So, after getting one flat after another and checking my tires, I decided it was time to buy some Gatorskins to hopefully, avoid some flats in the future. I ride on the roads for the most part with lots of broken glass, sharp gravel, the occasional syringe etc. I've had osteoarthritis in both thumbs for awhile and in the past have had a few cortisone shots in each one because of 'trigger' thumb so my hands aren't the strongest. Still, I've never had a problem changing flat tires but when it came to getting these new tires on my wheels....no way in hell could I manage it.

Just checking if any of you have a tip for me. If not, my neighbor is a bike tech and I can take my wheels over there. I just hate feeling like I can't do something.
    Vertically challenged, but expanding my horizons.

It's not just you. They're...difficult, especially the wire-bead version.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I use a tool like this (Kool Stop Tire Bead Jack) to get the tires on the rims, for Gatorskins and some other brands.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AYML7K/...l_443sewmx4l_e

It's not small, but it is lightweight.

Another good tool is the VAR tire lever, though I don't know if that's available any more in the US. It does the same thing as the Kool Stop but is smaller so it fits better in a bike bag.

I think some other companies also make a tire lever that is designed to help you get the tire onto the wheel. Regular tire levers (made to help you get the tire off the rim) can also be used, but there's a risk of puncturing the tube.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Thanks for the info. on this tool. I'm having my friend put the tires on my wheels, but it looks like I should purchase the tire lever just in case I end up with a flat (which I'm hoping won't happen for a long time after installing these tires!).

I read somewhere about putting the tires in your dryer for 10 minutes to get them to soften up.. Works great at home but doesn't help you if you get a flat on the road. Knock on wood I haven't gotten a flat with Gatorskins.
    Specialized Oura or Romin Evo Saddles

I have used Gatorskins pretty much exclusively since I started riding- we have so many goatsheads and other thorns and debris on the roads around Tucson. I once spent 30 minutes trying to install new Gatorskis and finally drove over to the bike shop to let the shop guys do it. I recently switched to foldables- they are much easier to get on and I decided it was worth the extra $5 to be able to get them onto the rims by myself. That said, I have gotten as many as 4000 miles on a Gatorskin with ZERO flats!
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Azfiddle, I spent some time in Oro Valley last January, and within the first 3 miles of my first ride there I got a flat so I totally agree with you on your choice of tires down there.

I had my friend install the gatorskins and if I get 4000 miles out of them I'll be in heaven!!!

(The funny thing was, when I got the flat down there in Arizona, I was lucky to be riding with my friend who lived there because she ended up changing the flat. Due to the dry air, every time I bent over, my nose started bleeding.)

I've been using those tires and love them. My husband said that he has to use all 3 standard/basic tire removal tool that comes in our kit to remove/install that tire. You have to put those 3 very close together and it works great but he did sweat a lot the first time he tried (and will not repeat the big words he said along hihi).