Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help! Nipple show-through

To disable ads, please log-in.

Help! The guy I am dating and I are going for a ride together this weekend. I am worrying about nipple show-through. I am very small (34AA) but have nipples that conspicuously protrude, especially when I'm active. Normally I don't worry about it when I ride. I don't need much in the way of support, so I wear a bra without molded/soft cups.

I'm feeling very self-conscious about my nipples showing through on my upcoming date. It is very warm where I am right now (so no jacket that could conveniently cover anything), and all of my short sleeve jerseys are solid colors (yes, prints are better at disguising the problem). The only solution I can come up with is to use foam bra cup liners inside my sports bra...ick (hello, chafing). Any ideas? Should I just not worry about what my date thinks (lol, he might even like it) and proceed as usual? Or I should I get myself to my LBS asap for a printed jersey? Or other ideas/thoughts?

use the old dancers trick and slap a band aid over each nipple.
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

3M transpore surgical tape comes in 1 and 2 inch wide sizes and should be on amazon. it works well to keep nipples from showing and to protect the nipple when running etc., is breathable and it stays on really well under exercise conditions
    Last edited by rebeccaC; 09-17-2014 at 10:14 PM.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

There are silicon nipple covers specifically designed for this issue. Here is one brand-I'm sure there are others: http://www.dimrs.com If you have a lingerie store nearby (Lady Grace comes to mind), that may be a good place to inquire.

1990 Univega Alpina/(stock) gel saddle
    2009 Specialized Dolce Elite/BG Lithia saddle
    2009 Jamis Coda Sport/Selle Royale Respiro saddle
    2010 Jamis Aurora/Jamis Touring Sport saddle

Try the Handful bra. Sports bra with removable pads, perfect for small people. I only wear this bra when exercising; I had the same issue.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I think we need to assume this is a troll.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

It doesn't seem troll-y…. The original post wasn't salacious and they didn't come back with silly/odd or inappropriate responses to the serious posts of solutions. Some people actually do worry about it. Personally I don't care, and would say don't worry about it, but for some folks, I guess it's embarrassing.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    I think we need to assume this is a troll.
    i didn't assume that as some of my runner friends have a need and even if it is the case there are some good suggestions for help for those who don't want to be embarassed by erect nipples while exercising or for that matter, anytime.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Nipple chafing is actually a lot bigger issue for male runners than female. They mostly just use bandaids. But yeah, some women worry about it, and there are several products in the fitness catalogs, as well as bras with plastic covers over the areola area.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I didn't think it was a troll, either. This was a big problem for me, even as a "small" person in that department. I stopped wearing cycling halters because of it. I only buy tanks for the gym that have the modesty pads. It might not be a big deal to others, but it is for me, and I am generally not modest at all. For some reason, this issue makes me feel naked with clothes on, in public.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I just recommend you don't use silicon nipple covers, those causes many causes of diseases

lol.. now that may be a troll (or more likely an ad troller)…. in any case, I think you may mean silicone breast implants… AFAIK silicone in contact with your skin won't cause you any harm beyond perhaps some skin irritation or very rarely a contact allergy…
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Thanks for the helpful replies, ladies! Nope, not a troll. I am for real. I am going to try the band-aids on my ride tomorrow, get to a lingerie store (not a plastic surgeon) for silicone if it fails, and buy the bra that was recommended for the future. Ordinarily I don't worry about my nipples showing through, but I am going on a ride this weekend as a date and am feeling a little bit self-conscious. Thanks!!

Welcome to TE! Sorry for the paranoia. Stick around and you'll see some truly amazing first posts. I think mine was nearly the same. And do stick around, we don't bite

You could always get this jersey http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodBN_MMGR.html

Then if anyone stares just say "Hey dude, my eyes are down here"
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Quote Originally Posted by Trek420 View Post

Then if anyone stares just say "Hey dude, my eyes are down here"
    That's hilarious, Trek!